YFZ Central banner

121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a little step-by-step on how to replace the waterpump seals on the YFZ450.

Part #'s first:

Bearing~93306-00105-00 (B6001)
Large oil seal~93102-11008-00
Small oil seal~93102-12106-00 (SD-12-22-5-HS)
Impeller~5GR-12458-00-00
Side case gasket~5TA-15462-00-00

If you smell anti-freeze or see anti-freeze around the frame or the skid plate on the right side of the quad (sitting on it) more then likely the seals for the waterpump need to be replaced and the impeller is scored which caused the seals to fail.

Location of the waterpump.

You must remove the engine oil and drain the anti-freeze at least out of the waterpump housing....you don't need to drain the entire cooling system.

You must also remove the upper and lower oil lines in order to remove the side case.

First, remove the waterpump cover, oil filter cover, oil filter and upper and lower oil lines. Be careful, there's a small o-ring on the lower oil line and make sure it's reinstalled when you put everything back together.

Remove the side case that houses the impeller, oil seals and bearing.

Just a pic of what the motor looks like with the side case removed.

Remove the impeller and inspect the impeller shaft for "grooves". Replace as necessary. To remove the oil seals pry the outer one out with a screwdriver. Removing the bearing is probably the most difficult part of the job. I tapped it out from the outside in using a screwdriver and then pryed the inner seal out.

Use some lithium grease on the seals when reassembling everything and when the seals get reinstalled....the springs face AWAY from each other or basically the springs are in the fluid...oil and anti-freeze.

Torque everything back to specification according to the service manual.
are these pic still viewable somewhere ???

·
Registered
296 Posts
Joe did you look on page 4?? there are some pictures. It is very simple, just make sure the flat side of the seals are facing each other, spring sides facing up.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Ok i finished mine up last night and took the best of pictures that i could because i was in a hurry. hopefully this will give you an idea at least on how to do this and save LOTS of labor costs at a shop. Make sure you are very delicate with putting the new seals and bearing in. it is very easy to damage them upon installation. when tightening the impeller down, use extra care as not to slip the wrench. the fins of the impeller are VERY easy to snap off........hope this helps....any questions just ask.

new vs old shaft....

I meant to say 2 washers, not 0-rings.....sorry

The seal in this picture looks like it's in backwards. The "flat" sides of both seals should face each other and away from the "fluid" side.

pics from page 4 or 5

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thans for this thread. I finally got my YFz put back together and ready for a ride after it has sat for a few years. Then as I was pulling it out og the garage to load the seal went out. coolent flowing like a river. So now I have to address this issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
okay so I just replace my seals now my bike is overheating the fan came on but it doesn't seem like its pulling any antifreeze out of the reservoir is there any chanCE the impeller is in crooked or am I missing something. I know the bearings and seals are proper but I know there's also a flat spot just wondering if that key way maybe isn't set properly

·
Registered
16 Posts
How much antifreeze?

Just changed my water pump seals and found out that I can't just put reg antifreeze into my quad, so I'm draining old coolant and flushing with distilled water and putting in that ice coolant. My question is how much of it do I need to get? The place I get all my parts from said that a half gallon should be fine, but I want to know for sure how much I need.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just changed my water pump seals and found out that I can't just put reg antifreeze into my quad, so I'm draining old coolant and flushing with distilled water and putting in that ice coolant. My question is how much of it do I need to get? The place I get all my parts from said that a half gallon should be fine, but I want to know for sure how much I need.
1/2 Gallon is more than enough. You'll still have some leftover.

Coolant reservoir: .32 qt

Radiator: 1.37 qt

Total liquid amount: 1.69 qt or .4225 Gallon

·
Registered
592 Posts
I also wanted to know why this happens so much? Can the water pump fix help solve an overheating issue?
Maybe. Is it overheating from lack of coolant? Is your weep hole leaking? Coolant in oil? If not, you have other issues. 8|

·
Registered
7 Posts
New to site. Not sure how to navigate it but I like ur post. Do u know the torque specs for side plate. I just replaced impeller shaft, bearing, and seals. Everything is fine now stays cool doesn't have coolant in oil buts leaks oil around lower oil line and or bottom of side plate. Is there a torque order?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hunter - the torques are not that critical - something is wrong. Do you have a crush washer on both sides of the oil line banjo bolt? Looks things over carefully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BTW - I have a complete rebuild kit for the water pump for sale. I looked around a lot and could not find everything I need in one kit. I have a Hot Rods rebuild kit that includes the bearing and seals, a HYspeed kit that includes the same seals but no bearing BUT has the needed case gasket. I also have the factory Yamaha impeller shaft (no impeller included). The kits (after a lot of shopping) cost me $72. My price is $60 shipped (firm)

I bought all this then lost it! I bought it all again and completed the repairs. A couple weeks later I found my original purchases. Yea, I'm a dumba$$...

PM to purchase.

I am not including a picture of the Hot Rods kit as it is very misleading. You really have to read the description before you realize that the shaft is not included. I bought the shaft separately and is included in my offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
thanks to this write up I fixed the water leak on the go.
My low hours 2008 YFZ was loosing all water to the point the red light went on and almost overheated the engine.
Removed water pump cover, put gears in first, pressed the rear brake, and with the 12mm loosened the impeller,
then with a flat small screwdriver (with lots of precaution not hitting the alluminium walls) removed the outer water seal,
then applied grease to the new one (alternative BTW it cost me 2.50) pressed it in (didn't entered flush) install impeller put cover. Flushed the coolant system with distilled water, then filled with a mix 50/50 of Vw/Audi G12+ coolant and distilled water, it was the only I had on hand and its red color wich matches the red frame and looks cool. This all with an oil change, air filter clean etc. I've go riding 2 times and its doing great, hope it lasts. update: its been a while and is loosing water at a very slow pace, so in the near future I gonna get the full kit and do it right. meanwhile is holding fine but anyway for peace of mind.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts