YFZ Central banner

Yz450 Exh. Cam Into Yfz450 Possible?

2280 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Stix2007
I was looking through this site and noticed that a member put a YZ450F Exhaust cam into his YFZ450, it got me thinking if that is what makes the YZ450 faster (other than wieght difference) and lounder.. So my question is, will this work with the YFZ and if so what would i have to do as far as timing and valves, and would it be worth it?

thanks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
yes it works but you can get the exact same result by retarding the YFZ exhaust cam one tooth (cam mod)

the YZ cam has a longer decomp pin as part of the auto decomp mechanism and this will make starting with the E-start a PITA.

the cams have the same specs as far as lift and duration, its only the lobe centres that are different.

the YZF is louder because of the exhaust, not the cam.
i am a strong supporter of free horsepower.

http://yfz450.theatvchannel.com/invision/i...showtopic=59800
ok just wondering,, i did do the mod already, just wanted to see what else i can do,,, thanks guys
QUOTE (jasenford @ Mar 10 2009, 10:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=756339
ok just wondering,, i did do the mod already, just wanted to see what else i can do,,, thanks guys[/b]
If you've already done the cam mod, you are getting the same exact performance that you would get from the YZ cam. Like #69 said, the YZ having the longer decompression pin is the only difference in the YZ cam and the YFZ cam, cam modded. The lift and duration of the cam are the same.
With the cam mod, is it just for stock cams? Will my Hot Cams benefit from it at all?
The hot cams are in the "cam mod" position.

I remember reading this earlier today. someone correct me if im wrong
Ok I figured they would be thanks
I am going to do the cam-mod tomorrow but I was wondering if I would be worth it to just buy hot cams for it, or does the cam-mod get close to the same performance as the hot cams?
QUOTE (Wisconsin_YFZ @ Mar 14 2009, 11:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=757906
I am going to do the cam-mod tomorrow but I was wondering if I would be worth it to just buy hot cams for it, or does the cam-mod get close to the same performance as the hot cams?[/b]
Judging from the mods in your sig, save your money and just do the cam mod. You won't see much improvement over that with aftermarket cams unless you have some major motor work done.
Well I don't have any motor work done right now, but there is an ltr runnin around with a chip, baffle out, [email protected], and his head port and polished, and if he beats me im going to buy the athena 480 for it.
stock cams are really the best all around cams for these bikes. put your money somewhere else
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.