YFZ Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've had the Cam Mod done on your YFZ 450, did you experience any side effects to your performance or the engine operation. Like reduced idle, hole shot performance, mid and top end?

Did your YFZ 450 performance noticably improve?

Did you do the work yourself?

If not who did the mod?

Would you do it, or have it done again, and do you recomend it to someone as a next step after piping and jetting?

Over all, it the cam mod overrated, or is it a good performance gain for the amt work?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I personally did mine after a bit of hesitation. the work was really easier than I expected it to be, although i had to losen the intake exhaust cam cover to allow enough slack to move the exhaust cam back one tooth. I gained a bit on top end and really didn't notice much loss on the low end and think it was worth the boost overall. I don't have any problems starting mine hot or cold......i think the major reason for issues with the starting is the jetting. I did mine prior to piping or jetting and have since added both and love it. i would definitely recommend it. only thing i can possibly say is make SURE you have a torque wrench when you do it that goes down to or below 7lbs of torque for resetting the valve covers. may be easier to find an inch/lbs wrench to go that low. i have a snap-on one that goes down to 5lbs, but they are expensive.......about 200 bucks. if you don't have one, try and find someone who does before pulling the cap off the engine to tackle this one :)

The cam-mod is definitely worth the procedure and definitely the best performance mod you can do for free........

·
Registered
921 Posts
mine turned out really good, starts awsome an runs even better,be carefull with thoes little bolst on the cam chain tenshin thing there in their really tight an i almost sripped them. Except when its 25 below zero, hay ill give you guys an awsome tip when your staring them cold that i found, take your wifes hair dryer an warm the carb up for like 5 mins or so an shell fire up like it 100 out, this is the only why i can get mine to start up here in maine it 25 below zero as we speak brrrrrrrrrrrr :rock :rock :yfz :yfz :yfz :yfz

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If you've had the Cam Mod done on your YFZ 450, did you experience any side effects to your performance or the engine operation. Like reduced idle, hole shot performance, mid and top end?
Idles great. Faster throughout

Did youy YFZ 450 performance noticably improve?
Yes

Did you do the work yourself?
Yes

Would you do it, or have it done again, and do you recomend it to someone as a next step after piping and jetting?
Yes and Yes

Over all, it the cam mod overrated, or is it a good performance gain for the amt work?
Its not overrated. Its a noticeable gain

·
Registered
98 Posts
:O Just did mine sat. myself. I have a small pilot jet problem; & a little hard to start, but should have that worked out this week with the GYT-R jet kit. yes. yes. yes. & yes.
Have to say 1 thing though. This thing ROCKS! like an achohol Banshee now! I would do it again & again & again! :rock

·
Registered
321 Posts
I did mine last night,,,,,,,,,,,,,using the YZ450F cam, needle and a 45 pilot but it will start much better with a 48 pilot im sure. It was well worth doing,,,,,nothing like lofting the front by shifting into second on my FROZEN driveway.....think if i had traction :O

Cant wait for some warmer weather so i can really see what it does ........like in the sand!!!!!!! :evilgrin

·
Registered
6 Posts
i done the cam mod but we couldn't get the damn thing to start. I also have a 13/1 compression piston and my old man thinks because of the small gain in compression I won't be able to get it to start with the decompression lever in the wrong spot. I'd really like to make this mod work cause I got to ride it with the mod and loved the power gain. I truly think it helped more than my piston did. I was told to increase the size on my starter jet but you guys are sayin increase your pilot jet. Which one should I increase??? Please [email protected][email protected]!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just did the cam mod today, it was easy overall but by far the hardest thing was getting enough slack in the chain to rotate the cam. That probably took a good 15 minutes just trying different techniques to get enough slack. I also had the typical troubles with the circlip (it fell out of the cam cover when I lifted it and I had to use my best judgement on how it went back in, both ends of the circlip looked identical to me even though I had read that one end was wider than the other) I was also a bit concerned after I put the cam chain tensioner back in with the rod pushed in... it took a bit of fiddling to get the rod to pop back out.

When I got it back together it fired right up and did not die when Idling like it usually does so if anything mine seems to start and idle better now. It's definitely a beast although I can say I don't notice a major difference. I had already added a K&N filter with the lid off, Pro Circuit pipe and rejetted. So it was a little difficult for me to feel a difference.

So even though I double checked the cam timing marks to make sure I got the tooth rotated, because I didn't have any trouble starting it and because I couldn't feel a major difference... doubts that I actually got the tooth rotated started to creep in LOL. I'm such an obsessive compulsive guy I'll probably tear it apart again just to make sure. Although I'm positive that I checked that with the intake cam timing mark right on the edge of the cylinder head the exhaust cam timing mark was not... it was up one tooth like it should be now.

I can tell you one thing for sure though... after all those mods mentioned above it DEFINITELY needs a new CDI box to raise the rev limit. It's amazing how fast it hits the limiter going up through the gears.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ_40@Jan 11 2004, 06:36 PM
i done the cam mod but we couldn't get the damn thing to start. I also have a 13/1 compression piston and my old man thinks because of the small gain in compression I won't be able to get it to start with the decompression lever in the wrong spot. I'd really like to make this mod work cause I got to ride it with the mod and loved the power gain. I truly think it helped more than my piston did. I was told to increase the size on my starter jet but you guys are sayin increase your pilot jet. Which one should I increase??? Please [email protected][email protected]!!
I don't really think you should have problems starting. Mine starts good and I have the cam mod and the 13:1 also.

Its is more than likely a jetting problem causeing yours not to start good.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i followed the info on this site and the dogrider site
cam mod went extremely smooth the quad starts just as easy as stock
it was very lean (pulled choke out 1/2 way ran great)
rejetted to 180 main 45 pilot yz needle (per daddog)
runs away from every thing at glamis (short of alky anything)
i run nitro race fuel (huntington beach ,cal) 111 oct

bottom line great site great info GREAT MOD........thanks
:yfz :yfz

·
Registered
217 Posts
Originally posted by BCBUD@Jan 13 2004, 02:40 PM

it was very lean (pulled choke out 1/2 way ran great)

Did you ride it like that ? Or just starting it and letting it idle.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I printed out daddogs instructions and very carefully did it step by step,
it freakin' flies!! I still havn't put my yz needle in because i don't think it
will make that much difference.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by yfzthumpa@Jan 11 2004, 08:43 AM
mine turned out really good, starts awsome an runs even better,be carefull with thoes little bolst on the cam chain tenshin thing there in their really tight an i almost sripped them. Except when its 25 below zero, hay ill give you guys an awsome tip when your staring them cold that i found, take your wifes hair dryer an warm the carb up for like 5 mins or so an shell fire up like it 100 out, this is the only why i can get mine to start up here in maine it 25 below zero as we speak brrrrrrrrrrrr :rock :rock :yfz :yfz :yfz :yfz
maine eh? where you from in maine...?
i am down in brunswick area...
you race at eaton mt. by any chance?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts