YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did any of you pay for an additional warranty when you bought your quad from the dealership? I got a 3 year and I'm beginning to think it was a major mistake!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Did any of you pay for an additional warranty when you bought your quad from the dealership? I got a 3 year and I'm beginning to think it was a major mistake!
I baught mines used but it was like brand new with the nipples on the tires still. Got it from the dealer and the previous owner got 3 years and i thaught it was pointless cause your going to mod it so it voids the warantee . Although I think a lot of it depends on where u take it of something was to happen to it. I don't think they should care about the aftermarket parts you have they are still going to get paid for the work . Get me ?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Why do you regret paying for the 3 year? I did it when I took out mine recently. Salesmen told me I will only void the warranty if I open the motor. aftermarket exhaust and intake wont void the warranty

·
Registered
556 Posts
Why do you regret paying for the 3 year? I did it when I took out mine recently. Salesmen told me I will only void the warranty if I open the motor. aftermarket exhaust and intake wont void the warranty
Intake cam

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
You can't void the entire warranty by opening up the motor if the part installed didn't cause the failure. Even if the part did cause the failure your only responsible for that particular claim, but your still eligible to turn in new claims.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Nice to hear . Do you kno what specifically does the warantee cover i never botherdto ask since I just transferd it under my name

·
Registered
259 Posts

This is what is not covered if you got a factory yamaha warranty.

Not all dealerships sell warranties through yamaha though.

Personally the warranty should cover more, I have to agree with you a bit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know now the bog is a known issue with these 2014's. The day I bought the bike and brought it home and rode it, I noticed it right away. It would stall on me in 2nd and 3rd gear when I got on it and pulled in the clutch.

When I took it back to the dealer they really wanted nothing to do with me.(At least the service dept) I brought the bike back 4 times just to have them tell me I needed a PC5 to 100% fix the problem. LOL!! Well it made it worse! When I called Yamaha CO and told them what was going on they told me to unplug the PC5 because its pretty much worthless with a stock pipe.
So then I took it to a different dealership. They told me the guys at the place I got it from didn't do a thing to it whatsoever after they told me they did. The other dealership said everything was still @ factory settings. The place I got it from told me it was very lean and needed to be richened up. Four times I took it to have them tell me they richened it up yet the other dealer told me they didn't do a single thing to it. I never even received paper work on the work they so-called did! Maybe I let them push me around I don't know, but Is this the kind of place I want working on my YFZ?

And I've tried to keep their name out of it, but I am about at my breaking point lol

·
Registered
259 Posts
I know now the bog is a known issue with these 2014's. The day I bought the bike and brought it home and rode it, I noticed it right away. It would stall on me in 2nd and 3rd gear when I got on it and pulled in the clutch.

When I took it back to the dealer they really wanted nothing to do with me.(At least the service dept) I brought the bike back 4 times just to have them tell me I needed a PC5 to 100% fix the problem. LOL!! Well it made it worse! When I called Yamaha CO and told them what was going on they told me to unplug the PC5 because its pretty much worthless with a stock pipe.
So then I took it to a different dealership. They told me the guys at the place I got it from didn't do a thing to it whatsoever after they told me they did. The other dealership said everything was still @ factory settings. The place I got it from told me it was very lean and needed to be richened up. Four times I took it to have them tell me they richened it up yet the other dealer told me they didn't do a single thing to it. I never even received paper work on the work they so-called did! Maybe I let them push me around I don't know, but Is this the kind of place I want working on my YFZ?

And I've tried to keep their name out of it, but I am about at my breaking point lol
You are a too nice of a guy. Way too nice. If it was me I'd go to every media outlet, I'd even stand on the street wearing a sign explaining my bad experience in big letters hehe.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The main thing you have to watch out for is dealerships are now selling insurance warranties though sleazy insurance companies. They will claim that you are buying the extended warranty, but in fact, you are not!

I found out the hard way, I was doing some reading around and talking with other yfz customers and yamaha actually did help out some of their customers on occasion with issues dealing with what they have listed as NOT covered under warranty.

So I would still get a warranty as long as it's the REAL yamaha warranty and not this new fake warranty insurance scams that are going on now. Because what they say they will cover is worse than what yamaha will cover.

They are basically taking free money from us.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The main thing you have to watch out for is dealerships are now selling insurance warranties though sleazy insurance companies. They will claim that you are buying the extended warranty, but in fact, you are not!

I found out the hard way, I was doing some reading around and talking with other yfz customers and yamaha actually did help out some of their customers on occasion with issues dealing with what they have listed as NOT covered under warranty.

So I would still get a warranty as long as it's the REAL yamaha warranty and not this new fake warranty insurance scams that are going on now. Because what they say they will cover is worse than what yamaha will cover.

They are basically taking free money from us.

Well whatever, either way I got my $1100 back and just put it back on the Yamaha card lol! I did however pick up an FMF 4.1 slip on and a Megabomb header. Wont have it for a week or so :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So does doing anything like a new exhaust system or a fuel controller or a PCV or Engine ICE, hurt your Factory Warranty in anyway?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Any of you ever seen this image?
I bet this YFZ runs like a champ! LOL :)

2014 Yamaha YFZ450R Engine GYTR

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ive had great luck with the extended warranty so far. It is the yamaha factory extended warranty. Ive been dealing with the same yamaha dealer for years and they have always been great to deal with. Ive had a few things break on my 2014 and they took care of everything right away. I havnt talked to them about the bog issue yet though. Figure that can be looked at after race season when i bring it in for a few other warranty repairs. When i bought my quad they even told me they could get things like bearings covered under warranty. Thats why they are the only yamaha dealer i spend my money at

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.