YFZ Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to go look at a couple 450rs this weekend. What are some things to look at? I'm use to running banshees so this will be my first 4 stroke in a while. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The pre-purchase inspection will be the same for pretty much any quad (or other machine) you buy. There are, of course, differences like checking the engine oil on a 4-stroke, while there is no oil in the engine on a 2-stroke. Mostly, though, the things to look for will be the same. Bent/broken frame? Cracked paint around any joints? Rust? Oil leaks? Chain and sprockets? Tire condition? etc... I would say that the main thing to look at will be the condition of the frame and suspension, the color and smell of the oil, the cleanliness of the air filter, condition of the chain and sprockets, and the overall cleanliness and condition of the machine. Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info the big thing I'm worried about us the frame. Hate to get something that needs a new frame.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Take a stand of some sort with you to get the wheels off the ground so you can check axle bearing and front wheel bearings along with tie rod ends and stuff like that. Although this stuff can be replaced it can go a long way in saying what level of maintenance the owner has given. If every bearing on it is wore out likely the engine was never mainitained properly either. Check for clean air filter. Oil condition. Check the sprockets. An honest part wore out somewhere that might have got overlooked is understandable, but when you start to find 3 and 4 of these things chances are the quad might not have been taken care of the best and you could nickel and dimed with repairs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
went ahead and purchased the bike started and rode great no play in bearings or tie rods. had to do alittle bit of work, replaced grips,headlight bracket bolts,and new seat cover but it does have brand new tires and just had a valve check at the local dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also has anyone heard issues with the big gun eco system not fitting correctly?
seems to have a space inbetween the stock header and where the slip on fits almost like something is missing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all that checked good I do have to replace the clutch basket and inner hub im getting a notchy feeling when letting out of the clutch. ordered a gtyr basket and stock replacement inner for now may switch out later if needed. as money allows

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.