YFZ Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok got question for everyone. Which SUNOCO fuel would you use on this quad and why? I was thinking about mixing 50% 91 pump gas and race fuel, but not sure which to use and why. I dont think I want to run leaded, and unleaded comes oxygenated so should I run higher octane number due to this? I also know Higher octane could produce less power but maybe oxygen would help that out. compression ratio stock is 11.6-1 and I am at 6300 ft elevation and would like to get a little more power back that you guys at sea level are loving. Thank you now for the help and input. O'Neal#450

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
from the reading i have done, it seems octane alone will not necessarily give you any horse power, you only need race gas if the bike NEEDS it. the gas doesnt create the power, it allows the bike that needs it to create the power. ive also read that oxygenated gases will create a little extra, but not enough to be worth the money... so, premium pump gas will be your best bet, unless you modify to were your bike NEEDS better fuel.

im not 100% sure on any of this, but its how i understand the topic. its pretty hard to wrap your head around unless you have someone who is more able to explain it to you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
QUOTE (leveldrummer @ Feb 27 2009, 02:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751790
from the reading i have done, it seems octane alone will not necessarily give you any horse power, you only need race gas if the bike NEEDS it. the gas doesnt create the power, it allows the bike that needs it to create the power. ive also read that oxygenated gases will create a little extra, but not enough to be worth the money... so, premium pump gas will be your best bet, unless you modify to were your bike NEEDS better fuel.

im not 100% sure on any of this, but its how i understand the topic. its pretty hard to wrap your head around unless you have someone who is more able to explain it to you.[/b]
Run unleaded the highest you can get at the pump, 92,93,94. The above post is correct in the fact that not only will you not make more power, you'll probably loose power to detonation. Race fuels avoid this same cause in high horsepower situations.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The sticker from the factory on the tank states to use 91 octane unleaded minimum so running any higher octane WILL NOT give you anymore horsepower.Where ever you heard that it is WRONG! High octane fuels are for high compression motors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts