YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals! Im a noob here, but not new to the YFZ. I had one when they first came out in 04 or 05 and sold it about 2 years ago. It was an awesome machine and I had some goodies on it, I just had no place to ride!

Now I own y own place with lots of land to ride on and the ability to trailer it places, so I really want to get another! And of course Im leaning towads the R. But Ive read alot of people arguing about the weight (dry/wet vs. yfz), some people saying that the old YFZ will have the ability to make more power because of no EFI and I guess Im worried about a first year bike, even though my old YFZ was a first year and it was fine.

Can anyone put in some good input on those issues, and especially if you have ridden both bikes stock side by side, whats your thoughts? I guess the weight is the biggest concern out of all of them I think!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've had 2 YFZ's, an LTR, and now the new YFZR. I LOVE my YFZR. I've ridden many bikes - Honda's, Yami's, Zuk's, Kawi's, Hybrids. I was actually very close to buying a Honda many times because I love how those bikes perform on the track. I am happy I went with the new YFZR. I feel that currently I am the fastest I've ever been - on the YFZR, and I've only had it about a month.

The weight shouldn't even be an issue to anyone with this bike. Its light. Mine weighed in at 380lbs wet, with aftermarket wheels/tires, nerfs and pipe. Its got a great power/weight ratio.

I used to like jetting my old YFZ, perfecting the carb. But times have changed. The FI system on this bike seems to be pretty nice. Everything is fairly simple once you get a programmer, you can really dial the machines in nice. Crisp throttle response, no bogs, and no pops.

I think Yamaha did very well on this bike. Its easy to maintain. Plastics come off easy. There isn't a huge clutter of wiring and hoses for the FI, its pretty straight forward. Its a nice setup overall.

So far the only things I dislike about the YFZR is the seat, and the fact that you cannot buy seperate frame peices.
The seat is nice, don't get me wrong, but the plastic base at the part that juts out hurts my butt bigtime when taking flat corners. :mhihi: Not that big of a deal.

So.... those are my opinions. I love this bike. I'm happy I went back to Yamaha.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
You can't buy individual parts for the frame? That sucks. :disgust: I thought the whole point of the frame being made that way was so that if you damage a part of the frame, you unbolt it, bolt a new one on and go.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yea - thats what I thought also. Maybe in time they will sell peices individually. Whole frames are like $1400 :bawling:

·
Registered
405 Posts
You can get individual frame pieces.....

·
Registered
533 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Really? The part fiche's I've seen you can only buy a whole frame (excluding the subfame of course). $1,443. Subframes only are $295.

·
Registered
405 Posts
maybe I am mistaken......

·
Registered
135 Posts
I will have to give a huge thumbs up to the R as well......I've owned an 04 YFZ (full race quad) and an 08 SE YFZ (stock) before I got my R. Since I came off a pretty much bone stock YFZ (my last one), the difference between the suspension on the R and the YFZ is the biggest thing I noticed. I believe I am faster on my stock R than I ever was on my full race YFZ - that is how good the stock suspension works on the R.

Weight? Don't even worry about it - it is so perfectly balanced (and I mean perfectly.....we have digital scales that measure each wheel point - it is balanced to perfection!) and is so easy to ride that you won't notice the little bit of weight over the YFZ. It's so easy to move around in the air and it is so well mannered that you won't even think of the weight.....def not an issue!

I loved my YFZ's, but my R kicks a$$...... :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
i've hardly been able to ride mine at all, to much snow and mud and cold. :icon_frown:
but i am excited for the race season!!!! :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
we have a '04 yfz, a '08 yfz, and a '09 yfz-r. as for the track, the r kills the old ones, but long run, the r will only do around 85 stock. Its geared really low. If your going to the track, the yfz-r is the best bike for it

·
Registered
100 Posts
QUOTE (ExtremeEdgeRcng @ Feb 24 2009, 09:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750359
we have a '04 yfz, a '08 yfz, and a '09 yfz-r. as for the track, the r kills the old ones, but long run, the r will only do around 85 stock. Its geared really low. If your going to the track, the yfz-r is the best bike for it[/b]
I hope thats a typo

·
Registered
950 Posts
85 stock is actualy quite fast, arn't the actual yfz's only spose to do like 75?

·
Registered
393 Posts
mine on the dyno read 60MPH in 4th gear, if someone knows the ratios .. you should be able to calculate the actual MPH

or.. next trip to the dyno, I will just max it out in 5th and see

·
Registered
33 Posts
70mph top speed clocked with my Garmin GPS. Low 60 degree day on a flat dry lake bed. Completely stock YFZR with the air box lid removed.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It's a law that quads have to be de-tuned to run at or under 73 or 74MPH off the showroom floor. Not all motors will perform exactly the same though. One could run 70MPH off the showroom floor and the one beside it could run 75MPH. Of course if broken in hard you can get a little extra MPH.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've never heard of that law, im not calling you a lier . But that can't be true, lol .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts