YFZ Central banner

Yfz450r baja 1000 prep

Tags
baja1000
2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  christoper985 
#1 ·
Hi!
im form San Diego and Tijuana Mexico
I race in Mexico in Baja California in a competition no longer than 150 miles (3 hours)
and I plan this year to run the baja 400,500, and the best the 1000. I have the following modifications on the atv:
Rossier r5
Vortex
Fci intake
IAS delete with 38 Motorsport oil can
Flexx handle bars
Presicion elite stabilizer
Houser +1 steem
Gold speed beadlocks
Drw skid,case saver,brake protect and sprocket
Stock engine
And stock susp with triple rate springs under my weight.
I use amsoil 10w40 full synthetic

I need long travel (elka 5, axis) and roll design
everyone in the baja 1000 uses trx450 with roll design and elkas 5 and i want to be different
What modifications do you guys recommend for the yfz450r without affecting the durability of the engine and resist a 1000-mile race on all types of terrain and little more than top speed?
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

See less See more
#3 ·
Sort the bump steer and get rid of the anti-dive. People talk shit about it and don’t actually know how it functions, but you’ll run into wildly insufficient caster at full sag and a forward dive if you work yourself into a whoops pack. Doesn’t make much difference in most other places.

Set the toe a little straighter than normal and around 6-8 degrees of caster.

Engine wise, a good tune with a mild rev limit and high capacity oil will be a good start. Keep the compression reasonable.

Roll design is your best bet for suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
You could port it, piston, cams, and dyno it. Call Garrett from fuel customs and he can hook you up with some mods and dyno it. I would change your clutch to the Rekluse or Hinson with the 8 rivet basket. Make sure you don’t blow up your clutch on that long race. Also check out Blud racing oils. They specialize in oils for long desert racing.

FCI is in Pomona ca. about 1.5 hours from Diego.

#5 ·
I dont see a bigger fuel tank on your list. on compression dont go to high on piston. Our pemex 93 octane is pretty good sourced out of Texas refineries but try to avoid the green 87 octane. Look into a high output stator for all the elctronics you will run, lights, comunication, navigation.

#8 ·
I like Houser Racing and Teixiera Tech MX a-arms for strength, durability, and style. Custom Axis, Motowoz, and PEP all make excellent shocks if you fill out the build sheet thoroughly. I wouldn't buy any a-arms that didn't utilize the caster bracket. The Rekluse Manual TQ drive would be a nice improvement and works with 09-2023 baskets.

#9 ·
I like Houser Racing and Teixiera Tech MX a-arms for strength, durability, and style. Custom Axis, Motowoz, and PEP all make excellent shocks if you fill out the build sheet thoroughly. I wouldn't buy any a-arms that didn't utilize the caster bracket. The Rekluse Manual TQ drive would be a nice improvement and works with 09-2023 baskets.
What is the difference between houser mx and xc Im already buy custom axis shocks and the seller told me the shocks are made for houser xc and I already have the 09 basket

#12 ·
Try to get some houser pro bounce nerf bars

runthe stock air box with the lid removed and a 2 stage Uni air filter. Then run the Uni sheet foam pre filter from BNRMOTORSPORTS. You can just change the pre filter when you pit and it will save your main air filter.

BNRMOTORSPORTS has a drop in stage two cam that makes a difference

renthal z link chain and BNR sprocket guard

bcc skid plate

tire balls or splines for flat tires, if they are too expensive then you can buy kids Disney balls to put in your tires in case of a flat

Glann innovations makes a dual fan set up to stay cool.
Have your vortex tuned to make the fan come on at 165 degrees

heavy duty tie rods and tie rod ends

put zip ties in your foam pad on your handle bars for a trail fix

install a rp race oil overflow tank

AIS delete

install spark plug hold down bracket or zip tie foam around it so when the gas tank is on it presses the spark plug boot down

solder all your fuel pump connection in your tank and zip tie the fuel filter cover on so it doesn’t come loose in the tank

run the BNRMOTORSPORTS XC link on the rear shock.

install a Honda trx 90 thumb throttle. They are a little longer and will take some wear off your thumb

#14 ·
You know this specs on texeira arms and roll design ? I just want to compare thanks you ?
I have stock arms and shocks with triple rate springs and revalve works good but the other day I use a trx with fox floats and roll design arms and works amazing I can believe how the suspension feels I pass the whoops and rocks like nothing super soft . They told me is the roll design arms have a lot wheel travel. So this race are long i want the best soft suspensión do you think houser it’s goin to be the same soft? I already have custom axis dual rate 20 eye to eye.
I don’t care to pay little more if I goin to have less fatigue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.