YFZ Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’m new here I just made a account today I’m been looking at a used yfz450 and a raptor 660 I wanna make a dune build and an all around build but I cannot choose which quad to build. I go a lot to Glamis and I like to carve some bowls and do the occasional dragging and hill shooting. I’m only 15 so I don’t know what to choose I do a lot of research and I’m leaning more into the yfz450 but I wanna do more of a unique build with raptor 660 since not a lot of people where I ride in Ensenada have raptor 660. If I where to get a yfz450 I would wanna make it fun fast comfortable and reliable. Reliable as in I don’t wanna do a top end build every season type of reliable I can do top end builds but I don’t wanna do them every Season.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a tough decision. I had a 2005 Raptor 660 and it was great on the dunes with only a few upgrades. i.e. Elka shocks and new intake / slip-on exhaust. It had a lot of low to mid range torque, so great for getting up the dunes. It would pull away from a stock KFX 700 off the line, but never really had the top speed of the 450s and Banshees for drag racing. I sold my 660 back in 2007, so never really had a chance to do any additional mods.

I just bought an '05 450 from a friend of mine and still in the process of getting it ready to ride again. It's getting the oil upgrade and general maintenance like rebuilding the carb since it was sitting for several years in storage. I really can't give a full comparison between the quads until I ride it, but from what I've seen in video reviews the 450 likes to stay rev'd in the high RPMs since it was built for MX racing.

My gut feeling would be to go for a 450, mainly because the availability of OEM and aftermarket parts. The 660 was only produced from 2004 - 2005, so parts are hard to find. The 450 has been in production since 2004 (YFZ Model Reference 2004 - 2020) The main decision would be if you want to go with the older carburetor style 2004 - 2008s or the newer EFI setups of the 2009 - 2020 models. Keep in mind, the 2004 - 2006 models had an oil delivery issue from the factory (search up YFZ oil mod / oil upgrade) and would require some work to upgrade it to the re-designed oiling system that Yamaha implemented in 2007. Some people never ran into issues, others ended up with seized piston pins and broken rods because of it. I'm installing it on my '05 just for piece of mind.

This is a really good article for reference:
2019 Yamaha YFZ450R vs. 2006 Yamaha YFZ450 - ATV.com

·
Registered
963 Posts
How big are you? If you're not that big a 450 is going to be much easier to handle for you vs. the heavy Raptor 660. I personally don't like the 660's just because they are hard to tune and get right as well as top heavy. I've had two and was never really happy with either one.

If you were talking the Raptor 700 and you're not a small person then I would say go for the Raptor because they have gobs of power and the higher center of gravity isn't a big deal out in the dunes.

A lot depends on you, how you ride and what you want out of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've tried 660 Raptors and a 450 will eat then for lunch all day everyday, now a 700 raptor is a monster on the dunes and drag racing. My early build 04 450 took 10 years of abuse before blowing it up and doing the oil mod. However it ran funky for a while before it was done and more than likely had a bad wrist pin for about a year. My group all runs 450's and the only thing that can pull away from any of the 4 is a 700 raptor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts