YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike starts fine and idles fine. Once I touch the throttle she stays at a high rev. When I put the bike in gear and release the clucth she goes back down to a nice idle or if i'm riding and I come to a stop with the clutch in or out she idles high. What the hell is that...The stock settings did this and then I jetted her. 168m,45pj and 5th clip with 2 turns out. Still the high revs. Any help would be cool, i'll try anything at this point. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Make sure your throttle cable is routed correctly and not getting snagged on anything when your turning the bars. Turn left and right and see if it changes. If it does, that's your prob.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
The bike starts fine and idles fine. Once I touch the throttle she stays at a high rev. When I put the bike in gear and release the clucth she goes back down to a nice idle or if i'm riding and I come to a stop with the clutch in or out she idles high. What the hell is that...The stock settings did this and then I jetted her. 160m,45pj and 5th clip with 2 turns out. Still the high revs. Any help would be cool, i'll try anything at this point. Thanks...[/b]

Make sure your carb boots are tight as well, this can cause an air leak which can cause this problem. As fordfreak stated, also check the cable.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have an 05 that is doing the same thing and i have replaced the throttle cable, replaced the carb boot, cleaned the carb out, checked for air leaks everyway possible with carb spray, wd40, starting fluid, and propane and there are no leaks anywhere and the carb is doing everything its suppost to when i let off the throttle, the throttle plate(valve) returns all the way to idle position with the revs staying high, and its definately not the idle screw or the throttle position sensor or too much fuel cuz it does it with the fuel screw turned out 1/2 and 1 turn, i took it to the shop nearest to me in youngstown ohio and they told me it was my carb boot and or my cable and this was two weeks after new cable was put in and a new boot with no leaks was put on, aka they were full of it!!!! i havent had time to take it anywhere else and have tried everything possible to figure it out on my own and it still does it, if anyone comes up with a solution or sumthing i haven't done yet PLEEZ let me know cuz its driving me crazy. By the way im running a uni filter and a dg pipe with a 165 main and 40 pilot and i did put on the boyesen accelerator pump cover(did it bout a year ago and it got rid of that annoying bog but didn't cause the revs cuz they started 10 months after install) and im using a NGK Iridium spark plug that was put in with the pump cover and it woke the bike up if u know what i mean. PLEEZ HELP!!!!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i have an 05 that is doing the same thing and i have replaced the throttle cable, replaced the carb boot, cleaned the carb out, checked for air leaks everyway possible with carb spray, wd40, starting fluid, and propane and there are no leaks anywhere and the carb is doing everything its suppost to when i let off the throttle, the throttle plate(valve) returns all the way to idle position with the revs staying high, and its definately not the idle screw or the throttle position sensor or too much fuel cuz it does it with the fuel screw turned out 1/2 and 1 turn, i took it to the shop nearest to me in youngstown ohio and they told me it was my carb boot and or my cable and this was two weeks after new cable was put in and a new boot with no leaks was put on, aka they were full of it!!!! i havent had time to take it anywhere else and have tried everything possible to figure it out on my own and it still does it, if anyone comes up with a solution or sumthing i haven't done yet PLEEZ let me know cuz its driving me crazy. By the way im running a uni filter and a dg pipe with a 165 main and 40 pilot and i did put on the boyesen accelerator pump cover(did it bout a year ago and it got rid of that annoying bog but didn't cause the revs cuz they started 10 months after install) and im using a NGK Iridium spark plug that was put in with the pump cover and it woke the bike up if u know what i mean. PLEEZ HELP!!!![/b]
I hate to say it but if I was you I would try and borrow a carb from someone and swap them out. At this point it looks like you've done everything else. Pull out the slide...check for scratches and burrs on the slide. Damage to the hole where the needle goes through??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have an 05 that is doing the same thing and i have replaced the throttle cable, replaced the carb boot, cleaned the carb out, checked for air leaks everyway possible with carb spray, wd40, starting fluid, and propane and there are no leaks anywhere and the carb is doing everything its suppost to when i let off the throttle, the throttle plate(valve) returns all the way to idle position with the revs staying high, and its definately not the idle screw or the throttle position sensor or too much fuel cuz it does it with the fuel screw turned out 1/2 and 1 turn, i took it to the shop nearest to me in youngstown ohio and they told me it was my carb boot and or my cable and this was two weeks after new cable was put in and a new boot with no leaks was put on, aka they were full of it!!!! i havent had time to take it anywhere else and have tried everything possible to figure it out on my own and it still does it, if anyone comes up with a solution or sumthing i haven't done yet PLEEZ let me know cuz its driving me crazy. By the way im running a uni filter and a dg pipe with a 165 main and 40 pilot and i did put on the boyesen accelerator pump cover(did it bout a year ago and it got rid of that annoying bog but didn't cause the revs cuz they started 10 months after install) and im using a NGK Iridium spark plug that was put in with the pump cover and it woke the bike up if u know what i mean. PLEEZ HELP!!!![/b]

I haven't tried it yet because i've been busy with life, but disconnect your tps from the plug, not the carb, and see if the high revs go away. If it does you need to adjust it. The manual tells you how, should be simple. I'll let you know when I get a chance to check mine and if you beat me to it, let me know. Later...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't tried it yet because i've been busy with life, but disconnect your tps from the plug, not the carb, and see if the high revs go away. If it does you need to adjust it. The manual tells you how, should be simple. I'll let you know when I get a chance to check mine and if you beat me to it, let me know. Later...[/b]
i have tried everything that u guys have suggested down to checking the voltage on the tps and taking apart and severly cleaning and checking the whole carb, even drained my gas tank and cleaned it and the petcock out and then checked the fuel flow and everything was good, i am trying to find someone to let me swap carbs to see if thats it before i go buy one. this weekend i have a few carb guru's and some factory trained mech's coming out to check it out so ill let u know what i find, on a side note what do u guys know about the edelbrock carbs and how they perform?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
i just put one on a z 400 the other day and that thing was bad ass smooth from bottom to top in forth.nice work no jetting exp. for the needs that was the only jetting that it had.the needle has an adjuster on top that screws the needle up and down.and it had an adjustable accel pump i like an have one on my list of goodies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have tried everything that u guys have suggested down to checking the voltage on the tps and taking apart and severly cleaning and checking the whole carb, even drained my gas tank and cleaned it and the petcock out and then checked the fuel flow and everything was good, i am trying to find someone to let me swap carbs to see if thats it before i go buy one. this weekend i have a few carb guru's and some factory trained mech's coming out to check it out so ill let u know what i find, on a side note what do u guys know about the edelbrock carbs and how they perform?[/b]
Along with the mods I made originally, at the top of this thread, I didn't include the fact that I removed the baffle from the stock exhaust and added the gytr air filter w/out the lid. It was a little to load for me so I put the baffle back in. Funny thing is now the high revs are gone. If this makes any sense give it a try with what ever pipe you have. If there is an adjustment on the carb that controls this I would like to know because I plan to put an aftermarket pipe on soon and i'm afaid I might have the high rev problem again. Let me know what you think...Rob.

·
Registered
532 Posts
{ Quote}
"I didn't include the fact that I removed the baffle from the stock exhaust and added the gytr air filter w/out the lid."

What?
This was something that you shouldn't have left out of your first post. The baffle out increase's air flow and so dose the gytr with no lid. sounds like you had a jetting problem,IMO Or your idle was to high. and yes, it could have been your idle adjust

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
{ Quote}
"I didn't include the fact that I removed the baffle from the stock exhaust and added the gytr air filter w/out the lid."

What?
This was something that you shouldn't have left out of your first post. The baffle out increase's air flow and so dose the gytr with no lid. sounds like you had a jetting problem,IMO Or your idle was to high. and yes, it could have been your idle adjust[/b]

All I did was replace the baffle and left all other mods the same. So yes the airflow changed, but would that effect the high rpm's and if so what change do you think should be done on the carb to allow better exaust air flow? I had the high revs when it was stock before I did the mods and still had them after the mods until I put back in the baffle. wtf...

·
Registered
6 Posts
i had the problem before the aftermarket exhaust went on and before all mods were done and even after all mods and rejetting i still have high rev problem

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alterego please help him.
http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=908

Just out of curiosity what kinda jets are you using? are they dynojet?[/b]
O.K. so that site shows the exact setup that I did with my stock needle in place and I am using the gytr main and pilot. When I put the gytr needle in I will go on the 4th clip and 2.5 turns out to see how it runs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm done, the quad is running perfect. I had the stock needle in the carb, NDSR, on the 5th clip and replaced it with the NFSR, aka NCVQ on earlier models, and put that on the 5th clip. So now I can run with the baffle out and it does not rev high. Yee Haa. The needles looked identical, but made the difference. I also did the oil upgrade, pump and squirter, myself if anyone is interested along with many other mods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok guys i really need sum help here ive read up on everything you all have posted and have tried every jet combo and needle position but the revs still stay high and all the guys that have looked at it are boggled and one of those guys they call the carb guru in my area and he couldn't see or figure anything wrong with the carb and thinks my problem is somewhere else, it was suggested to switch out the cdi box and see what happens and if that doesnt work replace all the gaskets in the motor cuz an air leak in the engine would make it do what its doing but im not sure of any truth to that so if anyone can help me out please do, someone on here suggested swapping carbs with sumone who didn't have the problem and it still did it when i put his on mine and mine worked fine on his, that pretty much eliminates the carb as being the problem...im open to any suggestions

here's what i got
05 yfz
dg stage3 exhaust
uni air filter
boyessen quickshot AP cover
NGK Iridium plug
165 main/45 pilot/4th clip/1.5 turns
everything else is stock and it runs great but revs high

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok guys i really need sum help here ive read up on everything you all have posted and have tried every jet combo and needle position but the revs still stay high and all the guys that have looked at it are boggled and one of those guys they call the carb guru in my area and he couldn't see or figure anything wrong with the carb and thinks my problem is somewhere else, it was suggested to switch out the cdi box and see what happens and if that doesnt work replace all the gaskets in the motor cuz an air leak in the engine would make it do what its doing but im not sure of any truth to that so if anyone can help me out please do, someone on here suggested swapping carbs with sumone who didn't have the problem and it still did it when i put his on mine and mine worked fine on his, that pretty much eliminates the carb as being the problem...im open to any suggestions[/b]

From asking around I received some tips that hopefully one can help. Here they are from different sites.

1. From Yamaha22 on Thumpertalk:
I have a 2006 that did the same thing. I will tell you right now your rubber boot that attaches the carb to the cylinder is leaking air. I would recommend taking off the tiny sleeves that allows you to only tighten the carb clamp so far. If you remove those little sleeves you will be able to tighten the clamp all the way. I learned this the hard way by my bike being in the shop for almost a month.

2. From NYMxer on Thumpertalk:
My 06 had tight clamps yet I could still rotate the carb. I changed the front clamp and noticed an instant increase in performance. I thought it was unique to my quad.

3. From Sadowski21 on Thumpertalk:
I had that issue with my 06 yfz. Try turning your TPS screw to the on the right top of your carb.

4. From Koopa on ATV Connection:
Sounds like may have vacuum leak somewhere. Have you messed with the carb lately? Check your boot, see if it's cracked and sucking air. You can get a can of carb cleaner and start the bike. Spray the cleaner lightly around the carb. If it revs higher there is a leak somewhere.

5. From Dune Surfer on ATV Riders:
I had the same problem and the fix was to unkink the cable.

So I only hope that one of these helps because I know how frustrated you must be. Good luck - Rob.

·
Registered
195 Posts
ok man, i'm going to probay help you out here. My qua did that only when i did the spring mod with the wrong spring so recommend taking off your air box and turn on the quad and touch the throttle and see if the slide is going up farther than it should be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok man, i'm going to probay help you out here. My qua did that only when i did the spring mod with the wrong spring so recommend taking off your air box and turn on the quad and touch the throttle and see if the slide is going up farther than it should be.[/b]
Ya, but the only problem with that is he said his carb worked fine on his buddies quad. So it can't be the spring mod. BTW, I put that mod on my carb and had no problems at all. Now it's just easier to push the thumb throttle. Where did you get your spring from? I got mine from johnhonda on ebay and it works great.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts