YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my cylinder ported and possibly bored out a tad and go with a bit more compression. problem is i'm overseas and the turn around time to disassemble mine and be without anything to ride just plain ole sucks!. i would be looking at almost 2 months! I'm looking for someplace that will send me one already done in exchange for mine. anyone know where? or even someplace i could purchase an additional head?

·
Registered
773 Posts
There's a guy/shop in southern California who's name I can't rember to save my life, but they have some exchange programs.

Ron Peterson? He's a big name motocross guy. C'mon somebody here knows.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
if you choose to buy an extra head let us know ... i can help you out on the price of a new one....but they are not cheap

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the link selector, i will give them a call.

what's your idea of not cheap woodward? put me in the ballpark.

tell you the truth, if i got one done and had a second to send in to be ported, i don't think i would have a big time unloading it over here since NO one does this type of work here. I'm interested.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
First of all you unserstand that you do not bore the head right?

And there is no need to bore the cylinder just to go with a higher comp piston.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
i just ordered in a 99 yz400 head... and it comes bare... with no valves etc.... it was around $500 i think thats quite expensive considering it will just be an extra

i actually just looked the head up...
head is (part # 5TA-11102-10-00) $556.45
cylinder is (part # 5TA-11311-01-00) $255.56

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Either one of those cost too much to be buying doubles.

But that's just me...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Either Craycraft or FTZ will port the head for 375.00 and a High compression piston (13:5:1) from sparks cost about 280 with a gasket set. You can get a 13:1 from magnolia for 180 with gasket set I think, but I like the custom ones that JE built for sparks a little better. I had the Yamaha 13:1 for a couple of months and then I went to the 14:1 from sparks and had FTZ port it and the thing absolutely screams now. The porting and High compression piston are well worth it.

I have Cam mod, Sparks exhaust, FTZ port job, 14:1 piston, and Sparks air filter kit. I was a Honda man. Was!!!!!!!!!!! Bring that new honda 450 on.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, thanks for all of the replies. I really was not sure what all had to be sent in to be ported, but thought if i could just send in the head then i would do it, but to send in my engine is undoable. Since i'm living in the middle east that would mean 2-3 weeks mail time just to get the engine there, port time then anywhere from 3-6 weeks to get the engine back. That's just not a possibility......its prime riding season right now and i'm not wasting it. I have the 13:1 piston on order and will make due until i have a chance to send the engine in. maybe during the summer when it's too hot. This is about the last possible mod i can think of for my quad so I'm content for now, but I definitely want it done.

04 YFZ450

AC Racing - Propegs, Front bumper, wide grab bar, belly skid, swing arm skid
Lonestar Racing - DC-4 A-arms, Swingarm, +1+1 Antivibe stem
TCS ZPS Triple-Rate Long shocks
Denton Steering stabilizer
UM Airbox w/K&N filter and outerwear
DSP PowerNow
Tag T2 bars, Pro-Design Kill Switch, Motion Pro Twist throttle
Hiper Beadlocs w/ Maxxis Razr's front and rear
GYT-R - clutch basket/Pressure Plate/Inner Hub/Flame Graphics kit/ 13:1 compression Piston/ complete kickstarter kit
Team Alba - Rev Limiter, shock covers
Cam Mod
FMF Titanium 4 14" with Powerbomb Header
James Dean Jet Kit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts