YFZ Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i last rode my YFZ a few months ago. Since then i've been slowly doing some much needed mods.

Last time out i went through a big puddle and my gas cap vibrated off. However i don't believe all that much, if any water got inside. The water wasnt too deep.(tire height)

Anyhow, the bike ran fine and i even drove it into the garage at the end of the ride.

Since then i added the Terry Cable Dual gasser throttle setup. After it was most of the way installed, i fired it up. It wasnt running great as it was still cold. Then it made a little "pop" from the exhaust pipe as it died and now it wont start.

When i had started the atv, i had not bypassed TORS yet. So figured thats why it wasnt starting. Now i have bypassed TORS by twisting those two wires together and it still won't start up.

I was cranking it so much that i could actuall smell gas, so i know its getting fuel, its still cranking, and tomorrow i have to check the plug, but what else could there be?? It seems odd that the bike ran fine, and now it won't start with this new throttle setup.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i pulled the spark plug, and it looks pretty nasty:

Whats the best way to check for spark with this bike?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, after doing something very dumb(zapped myself), I've found that i do have spark.

what do i check next?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well inorder to take out some of the guess work, i ordered a motion pro TORS block off plug.

So far it seems like the most likely culprit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Might be outside of the box thinking but I would take and check the timing, can you describe in better detail what you mean by " a popping sound ". May want to check the vavle clearences as well, it would be worth a shot.

·
Registered
260 Posts
did you have race gas in it when you put it away? and what year is it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If there's been gas in the carb and just sitting for a few months, what I would do is go ahead and give it a fresh oil change (unless you did this right before you parked it), check your coolant levels, and yank the carb and clean the hell out of it. You wouldn't believe what old/bad gas residue will do to these things - one grain of sand throws mine for a big loop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (yfzpurgatory @ Feb 15 2009, 03:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746764
If there's been gas in the carb and just sitting for a few months, what I would do is go ahead and give it a fresh oil change (unless you did this right before you parked it), check your coolant levels, and yank the carb and clean the hell out of it. You wouldn't believe what old/bad gas residue will do to these things - one grain of sand throws mine for a big loop.[/b]
i had a similar problem do you have aftermarket rev box if so it could be bad try a different cdi box of try charging the battery i know if mine doesn't have full charge it won't start

·
Registered
42 Posts
you said you checked the plug,but did you actually change it.I thought I was having electrical problems one time. I was tracing wires and testing things for days. The plug was the first thing I tested by touching it to motor and turning it over.it had spark.the plug looked OK so I never changed it. 2 days later I changed the plug and it fired right up. The old plug sparked but I guess it just wasn't hot enough to start and run right.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Dyna CDI and with my battery almost completely dead, mine starts up with 1-2 turns of the starter motor and it being dead cold. But if there's any grit in the carb, air-flow problems, exhaust leaks.. the slightest thing will cause it not to start.. runs like w00ter with an almost dead battery as well until it charges back up. lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (yfzpurgatory @ Feb 15 2009, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746764
If there's been gas in the carb and just sitting for a few months, what I would do is go ahead and give it a fresh oil change (unless you did this right before you parked it), check your coolant levels, and yank the carb and clean the hell out of it. You wouldn't believe what old/bad gas residue will do to these things - one grain of sand throws mine for a big loop.[/b]
You kinda called it. Last time out my bike sucked in some dirt and fubar'd carb. Plus it had bad gas in the tank.

I got frustrated and just coughed up 200$ for them to deal with it. i was getting nowhere at only a few hours per week. Its still not perfect. The mechanic flat out admitted that it will still die if there is no load on the bike and i go WOT. I'll have to take it out next week and see if it runs any better. Worse comes to worse i can look into trying to do an EFI swap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts