YFZ Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine bought a predator tonight, so do I have anything to worry about?

Are they as fast as a yfz?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Rescue,
If both are stock, the pred is faster mate.

Geoff.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by RESCUE YFZ@Nov 12 2003, 08:04 PM
A friend of mine bought a predator tonight, so do I have anything to worry about?

Are they as fast as a yfz?
On a big sand hill, he'll wish he hadn't done it.

Do the cammod, pipe it and go at least 13:1 with the stock bore then lighten it up if you can and you'll have a beast on the track. I don't ride many other quads, but I have been on a pred. They handle nice, but they don't have the punch your machine would with the mods I've noted. That was very apparent to me when I rode it on a little track. Also apparent was the fact that they're tanks.

Straight-line dragging down the street, he'll get ya. Straight line up Sand Mountain, he don't stand a chance. On a track, me on a my modded YFZ (stock bore) versus me on a pred, me on the YFZ would win.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I raced a guy on a pred in idaho on sand in a straight and I beat him by 3-4 bike lengths. He had a stock pred with a foam filter and the polaris pipe. I didn't have the sparks pipe at the time. He weighed 135 and was a pretty good rider not that you have to be to go fast in a straight line. I weigh 147 and am a pretty good rider. I like the pred it is a good bike but nothing compared to the light weight and high hp of a yfz with a pipe and filter. I think the engine has good power but the bike just weighs more and doen't have the same frame geometry.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
There has not been a single Pred at Dumont that has beat me to the top of the hill yet and I have raced quite a few.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I ride with a buddy who has a Troy Lee pred with White bro's pipe, and K&N filter. I have HMF, no lid and rejet.

Unless he gets a holeshot I never even see a tire. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
THIS IS WHAT I SAY TO A PRED WHEN THEY WANT A PIECE OF THE 450 :nono . YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEMO PARTNER. I SAW TWO OF THEM GET BEAT BY A KFX400 THIS WEEKEND AT GLAMIS, I WOULD TELL YOU HOW I DID AGAINST THEM BUT THEY NEVER WANTED A PIECE. NO MODS WITH ONLY THE BAFFLE OUT. :rock

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: well we went riding this weekend and the predator is a nice bike but it doesn't have anything close to the yfz in low end power, it sits too high, and I wasn't impressed with the suspension but it may just need to be ajusted. As far as top end speed I dont know, my friend is new to quads and wasn't ready to open it up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Pred is definitly a good bike, but like selector said its a tank. My buddy has ported the head, put a high compression Webb cam(sorry, don't know the numbers), a different cam, Edelbrock Carb, White Bro's pipe, different sprokets, and a couple of other goodies.

At Little Sahara, UT he's only raced one YFZ450, and the 450 was slightly modded. The Yamaha took him by about 1 bike length in a straight sand drag down below the face side of Sand Mountain, in about football fields length or more. The Pred was actually quite impressive, but once it starts to climb the weight really kills it. I've ridden it up the valley side of Sand Moutain on it in about 3rd, but it likes it much better in 2nd. I've also ridden in the bigger bowls behind sand mountain and done just fine. I was following a Banshee(my friends) around back there and was easily able to do everything on the Pred.

If you could just lighten it up somehow...

·
Registered
521 Posts
My 2 boys have predators and I leave them in the dust evertime!!
We are talking about the 90's right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts