YFZ Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have heard lots of ppl complaining on how their thumbs get real sore and stiffen up when they ride their yfz's. I have also noticed this problem, is there any way to solve it by making the throttle easier to ingage? Post ur thoughts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
messing with the spring in the thumb throttle or changing to a honda thumb throttle aint gonna do chit. you have 3 choices ...

1. Get a twist

2. Cut the sping IN THE CARB - this is what is making it stiff

3. sack up :lol

all I know is I ran a FCR40 on my Z400 and with a honda thumb throttle it was much stiffer than the YFZ's. I may give a twisty a try down the road ... has anyone cut the spring in the carb???

·
Registered
625 Posts
Outlaw,
take the spring out of the thumb throttle.

Geoff.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Originally posted by Aussiequadrider@Nov 9 2003, 01:32 AM
Outlaw,
take the spring out of the thumb throttle.

Geoff.
are you REALLY saying that little spring is going to make a difference :uhoh that is all in your head if you think removing the spring from the thumb throttle makes any difference :wtf :eek

here is a test ... pull the throttle cable from the carb and then push the thumb thottle. there is next to no resistence there with the spring or not

then while you have the cable out of the carb, twist the round piece where the cable connects to the carb with your fingers .... now there is where ALL the resistence is. it is the carb spring!!!! ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
schwendi
sorry mate for suggesting such a stupid idea.
what was I thinking?

Geoff.

·
Registered
274 Posts
so what if you remove the spring in the carb completly will the thumb throttle not return?? or is it totally fine with out the spring in the carb??

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
its nothing ive done, but no matter what its always going to be kinda stiff IMO. when you push the thumb throttle you are pulling the slide and also actuating the accelerator pump.

here are two pics that show the breakdowns of FCR's. the first is from the YZ450F and the second is from the CRF450 (FCR40)

I cant see the spring on the YZ one .... but I would think you can remove it??? It is #14 on the CRF one

I wouldnt cut down the spring too much as it increases the risk of having it stuck WOT, if you do it let us know how it works out

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
There's an easy fix, go ride a shee for a year, then jump back on the YFZ and you will kwitcher complaining :evilgrin Honestly though, I have rode the 450 for hours straight and never have I suffered from sore thumb-a-titus. ;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
Originally posted by TrIcK_450#28@Nov 9 2003, 01:17 PM
There's an easy fix, go ride a shee for a year, then jump back on the YFZ and you will kwitcher complaining :evilgrin Honestly though, I have rode the 450 for hours straight and never have I suffered from sore thumb-a-titus. ;)
Exactly my thoughts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think the stock lever is too low and causes your thumb to have to stretch.

I was thinking of trying a Cannondale Thumb throttle as they are closer to the bars and seem easier to push.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stick a 400ex thumb throttle on it. It won't necessarily reduce the stiffness, but the Honda is much more ergonomical and won't wear you out nearly as much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts