YFZ Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New here and wanting to get back into quad riding. I'm no kid 29 yrs old, and have riden everything from harleys to sportbikes and dirt. How do you feel about the yfz as an all around quad. Meaning woods, some track and open fields. I live in South East PA if that helps. My local dealer will knock 200 bucks off of the msrp down to $6699.00 . Also there is a 03 leftover z400 for $4783.00 near me. Kind of torn between them. Money is not a real issue. So buy the z and mod the hell out or spend the money up front for the yfz. Need some opinions. Thanks and very informative site so far. Mike R. 8)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Welcome to the board first of all.
All i can tell you is that me and my friends opted for a yfz even for allround riding.
I think you should fork the cash out now and get the quad of all quads and only make small changes to suit your needs. Count on getting a new pipe and better air filter and do some minor re-jetting. Once that is done you will understand why you choose the yfz. Dont get me wrong. the Z400 is a very capable quad but i cant hold a candle to the YFZ. oh yeah. me and most of my friends are all hovering around 30 - 33 so you are not to old for this quad. :lol

·
Registered
294 Posts
YFZ - faster than the z, more bottom, id and top. Handles better, has MUCH better suspension.

Z - cheaper, more comfortable for shorter people, has a MUCH softer seat (this does make a difference if you ride long distances) has reverse.

Problems - Z's have had a lot of frame problems. Some will tell you they have been fixed, but I know of a couple new ones whose frames have cracked. If you want to MX the Z, you are going to have to gusset and upgrade the suspension pretty quick. The YFZ has a smallish gas tank and a firm but rewarding suspension.

IF you can live without the reverse and don't mind a sore rear end every once in a while, I say go for the YFZ all the way. It does everything the Z does, just better and faster.

IF money ends up being an issue, that seems like a good price for a new Z.

Best thing you can do is try to test them both, first. That way you can make up your own mind.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast replys. I do plan on upgrading the exhaust and airfilter. The same dealer has a blue yfz with pro-circuit pipe, nerf bars and graffix for 700 dollars more but Im not crazy about the blue one- industries graffix. I have vacation time till after Christmas so I will be lurking around on and off. Thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming. Mike R 8)

·
Registered
631 Posts
welcome to the forums mikey. the yfz will be cheaper in the long run. you will spend as much on the z modding it to hang with the yfz as you would just to buy the yfz. plus you have unlimited things you can do with the yfz. just my .02.

andy

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Buy the YFZ, I had a Z with lots of mods and now its the wifes quad :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am in Pittsburgh and I got my YFz for 7133 at bentley's in cannonsburg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea the dealer who I would deal with is in Montgomery county "Martin Motorsports". Great people and very informative. The out the door price was around 7200. Sales tax s*cks! Right now they have all MX gear 25% off too. I still have my helmet gloves and goggles but would like to get some boots and pants. Yea well greats replys and thanks for the warm welcome. Mike :yfz

·
Registered
182 Posts
Where are you planning to ride?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Originally posted by mikeymotorcycle@Dec 22 2003, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the fast replys. I do plan on upgrading the exhaust and airfilter. The same dealer has a blue yfz with pro-circuit pipe, nerf bars and graffix for 700 dollars more but Im not crazy about the blue one- industries graffix. I have vacation time till after Christmas so I will be lurking around on and off. Thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming. Mike R 8)
wise decision on going for the red/white. everybody knows they are faster than the Blue ones

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am planning on riding at Rausch Creek, Paragon, Tower City and my inlaws land ( they have 15 acres of open land. I feel like a little kid wanting this thing so bad but heck. You only live once. I have till tomarow to decide. The dealership is not open Mon. Thanks again. Mike 8)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Originally posted by mikeymotorcycle@Dec 22 2003, 10:00 AM
I am planning on riding at Rausch Creek, Paragon, Tower City and my inlaws land ( they have 15 acres of open land. I feel like a little kid wanting this thing so bad but heck. You only live once. I have till tomarow to decide. The dealership is not open Mon. Thanks again. Mike 8)
ill be seeing you up at Rausch creek then. have you ridden anything there before?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Originally posted by seatec@Dec 22 2003, 09:23 AM

wise decision on going for the red/white. everybody knows they are faster than the Blue ones
The blue ones are just as fast,...(when they are being towed by the RED ones!!!! :lol :lol :lol )

BTW - Welcome to the club mikeymotorcycle. You'll like it here. :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
I recently did the same thing... I had been away from riding for quite a few years, and I just turned 30 this year and decided to get back into it. You won't be disappointed with the YFZ. Now I just have to keep my wife convinced she likes her Raptor better... heh.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
seatec...I have never been to Rausch Creek before but have heard great things about it. I can't wait to get one. Just have to do the final smoozing of the wife. I think I will get the white and red one just because its all stock and a clean slate. That way I can chose pipe, graffics and so forth. got to go my kid is crying. Mike ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts