YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 yfz that has a cracked case. I have a 05 trx450r motor laying around. Everything is there for the motor. Wiring harness and everything. Has anybody ever done this?? If so could you let me know how much of a project this is gonna be and what I need to modify or whatever to make it work

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Two things you need-- facilities and abilities. The first thing that I focus on when I do a hybrid is swingarm/engine alignment. I'd stick with the YFZ swingarm, as it fits the frame already, but you'll need to make sure that the pivot bolt is the same size for the Honda and the Yamaha, or make bushings to adapt everything. Then, once your swingarm and engine are aligned for proper chain/sprocket alignment, you should focus on mounting the engine to the frame. Then, you'll basically just have to add all the required stuff like exhaust, carb, wiring, fuel line, intake, coolant hoses, etc. The whole time, you should have the complete picture in your head, so you're always thinking about whether or not you'll be able to keep this here, or maybe mount it there, whatever. Like, will my shock fit here? Will I be able to route my exhaust like this? Will I need to make a bracket for this? With any hybrid, there are always a million little things that can throw off the build, but planning and patience can be a lifesaver. This will be as great or as terrible as you allow it to be. I've done a few hybrids myself, mostly smaller stuff, but it's still a good time. Just remember to take your time and do it properly. Don't cobble it together. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
No problem. Where are you located? Just curious. If you're in the Tulsa area, I could possibly give you a hand or some pointers. And like I said, make sure to align everything first. If it's not possible to align the sprockets for some reason, there's no need to waste your time working on any other part of the build. Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just something to consider....you may want to take on this project anyway and that is awesome. It's cool to see someone doing something different and if you want the project for fun I say go for it. However, even though you have all these parts laying around I think you could find another complete engine to swap in for less money. You'll more than likely get into fabbing a lot of little stuff and to do it right can nickel and dime you and add up quick. Especially if you have to custom build exhaust. That aside not to mention your time. Carb yfz motors aren't all that expensive these days. So if you're fine with I say go for it I love the 05 trx engines, but if you're doing it because you think you'll save money over repairing what you got, you may want to sit down and think about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.