YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a quad in my life, And just bought a 2014 450r SE
given I am not wearing riding boots but just my leg being in the area of the header is blistering my leg. Is there a good heat shield? Or just wrap it OR both?

·
Registered
219 Posts
The yfz seems to be hotter on the leg than any other quad too. best solution is boots and riding pants. not sure about header heat shields. but header wrap doesnt seem to work very long.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies! haha I also just started using this forum had no idea that there was so many other threads on this topic. thanks everyone for shutting my question down.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have never owned a quad in my life, And just bought a 2014 450r SE
given I am not wearing riding boots but just my leg being in the area of the header is blistering my leg. Is there a good heat shield? Or just wrap it OR both?
I feel your pain dude. My 14 450R does the same thing. If I would of known all the probs these bikes come with, I would of just got a TRX and be done with It...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not just header. But they do run cooler once you get a pipe and programmer. even when mine was stock as long as I wore pants it was fine but if I was tuning or cleaning and had shorts on it was way too hot. You are wearing pants arnt you?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ill be getting my full FMF system in a week or so.. Hopefully that helps my red exhaust as well! And I got the PCV to go along with it. I will let you know how it turns out :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I switched to engine ice a few days ago and noticed my pipe isn't getting as red as before. Not sure if its because of the different coolant or not.

·
Registered
858 Posts
One easy solution is to wear riding boots which typically are higher than the head pipe. I do, and have never noticed any heat. Another way to stop the heat and glowing head pipe is to smash a (uncooked) potato or eggplant into the silencer.

·
Registered
613 Posts
One easy solution is to wear riding boots which typically are higher than the head pipe. I do, and have never noticed any heat. Another way to stop the heat and glowing head pipe is to smash a (uncooked) potato or eggplant into the silencer.
You go right ahead and show us how its done please... Just make sure to film it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Clamp style heat shields...

·
Registered
83 Posts
riding pants with the leather protection on the inner legs ftw... soon as i put them on... boom problem solved.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.