YFZ Central banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I must have nailed a pretty good rock because I now have a nice ding in the bottom right A-arm. I kept riding on it for two more days, but it makes me a little nervous. Should I just replace it with another stock A-arm off Ebay or should I weld something onto it for support? I can't afford new wider A-arms or I would definitely go that route, plus then I'd have to get new shocks too. Definitely can't afford that.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How wide of A-arms can I get and still keep my stock shocks? Are action racing A-arms any good? They sell on E-bay for $509.99 for +2's. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
how much u weigh and how hard u ride?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 6', weigh 155 lbs. I am fairly aggressive. I jump most doubles and most tables up to about 80 feet. I race beginner class and usually finish in the top half of the racers. Also, what do you you think of American Star Racing A-arms??

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ@Dec 11 2003, 05:01 AM
I'm 6', weigh 155 lbs.  I am fairly aggressive.  I jump most doubles and most tables up to about 80 feet.  I race beginner class and usually finish in the top half of the racers.  Also, what do you you think of American Star Racing A-arms??
155...... stockers are bout 200 or so......... u should be ok w/ +2s.... should put it right at or right below ur weight...... and its better to do jumps than not cuz its easier on the suspension..... so u should be ok.. american stars are ok, but burgard is prolly not much more and better quality

·
Registered
85 Posts
I will be selling my LSR DC-4's. You will need new shocks, but if you go with a wider arm you will need to revalve your shock and maybe change the springs. I will sell my shocks too for the right price. The arms are chrome and only a few rides old. I have a new sponsor for arms.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well as good as that sounds, I am flat broke. I'm leaning towards maybe just welding some support there where I dinged it. Anyone know how much a stock A-arm runs from Yamaha?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are flat broke then do the following. 1st. check to see if bars are straight when riding in a straight line. If so your
front end should be ok as far as alignment goes. Next
put Quad on stand & pull front wheel & disconnect shock
from bottom arm. Move a- arms up & down to see if you feel
any binding. If so disconnect bottom a-arm from spindle &
move it up & down. If there is any binding it is to bent to
work properly. If there is no binding then check all welds on a-arms for stress. You can tell that by the paint being
cracked. If everything checks ok you can reassemble &
ride. Keep checking a-arm for stress cracks in paint until
you can get new a-arm .

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by waybrigt@Dec 11 2003, 02:46 PM
If you are flat broke then do the following. 1st. check to see if bars are straight when riding in a straight line. If so your
front end should be ok as far as alignment goes. Next
put Quad on stand & pull front wheel & disconnect shock
from bottom arm. Move a- arms up & down to see if you feel
any binding. If so disconnect bottom a-arm from spindle &
move it up & down. If there is any binding it is to bent to
work properly. If there is no binding then check all welds on a-arms for stress. You can tell that by the paint being
cracked. If everything checks ok you can reassemble &
ride. Keep checking a-arm for stress cracks in paint until
you can get new a-arm .
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure everything is still working fine. There are no stress marks or paint chips, just a ding. I found that one from Yamaha is $167. I'll send you an E-mail joec32. I may be able to scrape up $100. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by RPyfz450@Dec 16 2003, 01:00 AM
Will the longer GYT-R arms let you use the original YFZ450 shocks?
yeh, but i think theyre plus 1s which will set the valving down to sumwhere around 180 or so i think............ but yeh, theyll bolt up

C

·
0 Posts
i spent 90 bucks on new lower arm cause my buddie works at STATE8 Motorcyckes in penisula OH. but the run about 160

To scrape some cash u sell ur rancher or your kfx if you got nottin better to do wit em

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'll sell my stockers, all four, with tie rods, only used 3 times for $199.00

1 - 18 of 18 Posts