YFZ Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I currently have a 2005 YFZ 450 SE. I have a FMF factory 4.1 full exhaust and I love my quad. Runs so great! I'd like to purchase a 450R this summer. I was just curious on how the new 450R runs. Does it perform alot better then the original stock? Also, considering these are high performance quads, they must be looked after well. Are there any new things to look for in the maintenance department compared to the original YFZ? In the original YFZ 450, there were a few kinks such as oil splash for lubrication, Wireing and alteres swingarm. Just recently they addressed all these problems to create a more refined YFZ 450. Any new problems arise yet with the new 450R with recent technology incorperated or is it pretty much point and shoot? Thanks in advance for the posts guys.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The overall ride/feel is night and day better!As far as maintenance,no major difference,oil changes are a little easier,no carb to clean/jet.Yamaha claims the motor is stronger and more durable!Time will tell.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oil Change easier? Mine likes to shoot oil all over the place and the drain plug on the front of the motor is a little hard to get to. But nothing that would influence a buying decision.

Out of the ordinary problems: Something about the location/protection of the radiator is different. I have put holes in two different radiators from rocks being roosted. One under extremely rocky conditions, and one with not much rock around. Working with a sponsor to design some form of protection.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Mine doesn't shoot oil all over the place?????? And with the proper tools (a socket, ratchet and 3" extension) the drain plugs are easy to get to.

If you are looking for a sport quad to blow your socks off right out of the box, buy a YFZR. Most of the motor has been proven in the dirt bike and 3 years of testing by Ballance, Brown and Nelson.

The only extra maintence will most likely be electrical. It will be more important than ever to keep an eye on your wires and connections.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts