YFZ Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
So i just bought a 2004 yfz 450. When i bought it itook it for a test drive and it ran great. So the next day i go out to ride it and it starts right up. So i try to ride i rode for 1 min and the i stalled it out. It was cold (-20) and i think the engine cooled down and i couldent start it again so i brought it into a heated shop and let it sit for 5 min then it started up again. I did the same thing 2 more times and on the 2nd time it wouldent start up anymore, so i let it sit for a day. Yesterday i went out and tried to start it but it still wouldent start. I thought it was the battery so i plugged it into a charger but thay didnt help so i just left it till today. Today i went out and thought it might be the spark plug so i pulled it out and it was dirty. I cleaned it and put it back in and it still wouldent start. Then i thought maybe it isnt getting fuel. I undid the hose from the gas tank.(i had the fuel switch on on) but no gas came out, so then i turned it on reserve and fuel came out. I then reatached thenhose and turned the selector to reserve and the fuel just rushed out of a disconnected hose at the carbourater so then i think i found the hose that goes to it(im not sure its the right one but i guess so beacouse there wasnt a diffrent one) i attached it and tried to start it but still nothing. Anyone now whats wrong?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you try staring it with reserve on ? I had that problem where it wasn't getting gas while on and would only start on reserve.. when you switch from on and reserve it sometimes takes a few flicks for the fuel to transfer..
You probally need a new petcock and they are easy to install.. I'd recomend cleaning out the gas tank too..
If it's -20 the setting on the fuel/air mixture screw might have to be dialed in also and if you are starting it in that temp I would start it with full choke and put choke half way for a minute, then take choke off and leave it idle for around 3 to 5 minutes to completely warm up before you put in gear, not using throttle for whole process because that will likely just flood the bike.. if it does not stay idling tune your idle screw..
If that does not help try removing your airbox lid to see if it changes anything..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try that today. If that doesnt work shuld i try to bumb start it? Yah when i was riding the throttle was very laggy so i guess it wasnt getting any gas. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it still doesnt atart on reserve. So im goingnto buy a new spark plug and see if that help. Can u send me a pic of your carb so i can see how to hook it up?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts