YFZ Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my bike was a little on the sleepy side so... did some troubleshooting and found that almost ALL of the silencer packing had deteriorated and/or blown out of my exhaust can :disgust: . Went to the local shop and picked up some FMF 4-stroke packing (like $10 ea.)( looks like pink hair weave) and re-packed the exhaust. I spoke with one of the guys @ ESR to make sure that it was cool and nothing would be damaged, etc. He told me basically that I should get as much in there as I could safely and it should help. Well, I stuffed, crammed, and packed about 1 1/2 bags, and WOW! Not only did it lower the db's it woke my bike up instantly! The guy I talked to at ESR said this is common and should be done at least once or twice a season. Just thought I'd share this info with everybody, because it works like a champ, and it's WAY cheaper than other alternatives. Also, I had been losing the FWD bolts on the can(FWD endcap that attaches to the header) So I got some heat treated bolts and lock washers at the local hardware store(I think they were 1/4" diameter w/ a 7/16" head) (<$2), cleaned the threads in the endcap(mine were melting! :shocker: ), and lock-tighted those in place(Use RED locktight). It's not as pretty, BUT it wont be coming apart on it's own, ANY time soon. Hope this helps you! :icon_cool: Once again, thanks for the help ESR Techs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thats funny. I got bored and removed the endcap on my Trinity Can, no packing except tiny bit near bottom. So I am off to get me some packing, two bags it seems. Sucks thought the metal screen like cylinder core came loose. so Trinity says I have to weld, spot, I guess at the cap. I look forward to seeing any differences with full packing. Maybe I will now be able run without the quiet core!

Wonder if there are methods to packing and not haveing it blow out all over the place while riding....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you pack it, you pack it in between the perforated metal core and the can, Just for clarification. :icon_cool: I'm sure you already knew that, but It's gotta be said. My ESR core just rests in there, If you pack it well, the material should hold it in place. I thought about getting mine welded too, but after I got it centered in there and packed around it, it ain't moving. :icon_biggrin: Just don't pack it too tight until you get the core centered or you'll have to re-do it all because it wont line up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wait...? You mean the spark arrestor isnt supposed to hold the packing in the middle of the core?

JK, good point, things have to be said. Yeah I have a feeling it will be interesting to get centered and then still line up with its grooves on the end cap. But once I do, I will be seeing about it getting welded or not. Might just drop one spot drop on it for safe keeping.

~b

·
Registered
159 Posts
Its all good, I still dont know when to use washers.

~b

·
Registered
159 Posts
When to and not use washers with bolts and screws, it was an attempt at a joke that failed. So ....I will try again........

"Its not my fault I am not a great mechanic......I never owned a Ford so hence I never had to do much wrenching."

~b

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When to and not use washers with bolts and screws, it was an attempt at a joke that failed. So ....I will try again........

"Its not my fault I am not a great mechanic......I never owned a Ford so hence I never had to do much wrenching."
~b[/b]

It takes me a while sometimes....... :loser: I suck!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

~b[/b]
Oh I get it. YOu overpaid your certified GM Tech to do all the work :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I just do the work my self or call my over paid GM tech brother in law to do it for free :)

Brickey- we will have to pack mine for memorial day weekend. I noticed my ESR is way way to loud. If that equals power loss then Im all about tearing into that thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brickey- we will have to pack mine for memorial day weekend. I noticed my ESR is way way to loud. If that equals power loss then Im all about tearing into that thing.[/b]

It'll take us like 20 minutes, tops! :icon_cool: I'll get 2 bags of the 4-stroke stuff'n and we'll be ready to rock, bro. I'll hook you up with that for the 15T sprocket, a 1/2 of a six pack of warm Heineken, and a half-eaten roast-beef-and-parking-lot-sand sandwich...Deal? :icon_biggrin:

Holla! (insert sideways gangsta peace sign here) :icon_bolt:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts