YFZ Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and looking for some assistance, I have rebuild my 05 YFZ 450, new hot rod crank, big-end bearings, Piston and head gasket. once I finished it up, I first turned it over by hand without the spark plug and no fuel to make sure it span freely and no odd sounds, I then went on to turning it over via the starter and like the first time no strange sounds all turning over nicely not like before when the big end had gone. So it was then time to start the bike put the spark plug back in and fill it with fuel.

took couple of spins and it fires up no problem at all but I notice this high pitched ticking noise, not like before when the big end had gone but more of something coming from the head, I took off the cam cover and started the bike to see if I could identify where it was coming from.

The two videos below illustrate what I am hearing, the cams are a little worn but not scored, i torqued them to the specified spec and they turn a little resistance but nothing major. all of my tolerances are some were near for the valve clearance.

This is driving me insane it is the last hurdle that I need to sort before I can let it rip. any help or advice would be greatly received.

Video one - With Cam Cover on

Video Two - without Cam Cover

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I wouldn't run it too long with the valve cover off or the way that sounds. You are likely way out of time. Are you sure your cams were installed at top dead center? You may also be off by just a tooth from TDC or between the cams.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts