YFZ Central banner

Yfz 450 04 Gt Thunder Linkage?

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  juice8792 
#1 ·
Got my axis shock in yesterday with GT thunder linkage... Have not ridden it yet, just tried putting it together a few hours ago and realized something is wrong with my pull rod, as you can see the 2 extra holes. So I have to check what that's all about, I am sure it was the guy who owned the bike before me when it was set-up for Flat track.

Who knows what it was done for.. It doesn't seem like it was cut and shortened either.. It seems like it was extended.
Also I can not find the bolt that mounts the bottom of the shock to the linkage either. :icon_neutral:
Lammmmeee.. Someone let me know what bolt I need or if the one pictured is the one that fits? Also what the deal is about the Pull rod with the extra 2 wholes and what I should do.
Because I don't know where it came from and it's left over..

See less See more
#3 ·
QUOTE (knaffie @ Feb 15 2009, 06:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746617
Get rid of that crap and get the right parts in there. Your link won't work right if everything isn't the size its supposed to be.[/b]
That's what I would do. It looks like a home made job, and personally I'd be scared to run it.

I posted this in the other linkage thread you posted in......

I'm not quite sure what to think about that pull rod. My guess is that the extra holes would be to adjust the ride height maybe, I don't know. But it doesn't make sense because it would change the leverage ratio of the shock if you used different holes, so technically the shock would need to be rebuilt whenever the bolt was moved to a different hole. Putting the bolt in one of the other holes would be like changing to a different brand pull rod, and when you buy a new shock they set it up according to what linkage you'll be using. So how you could just change the length of the linkage and the shock still work right is beyond me.

Not to mention, the hole you have the bolt through looks like it's bigger than the bolt is. If it were me, I don't think I'd use that linkage. It looks like an accident waiting to happen when the end breaks off that pull rod. :icon_eek:

#4 ·
Yeah so i'm pretty much thinkin' a new pull rod? The Walsh one looks really cool and probably is great.. but 150 compared to just buying a used OEM or even a new houser I think is much less..
I am just going to wait until monday I guess and call the guy who built the shock and the GT thunder linkage and see what he recommends going with. I still can't figure out how that would even work.. Doesn't it seem like it was extended?
In person it looks like the whole it is on is the correct hole.. yet there is more wholes, And another thing is if I switched it to the other wholes it would mount correctly?? Idk it beats me.

Also I am missing the bolt that holds the bottom of the shock to the linkage? Any help with that?
It seems like I couldn't even slide a bolt through it because It will hit the pull rod... problems problems problems..

#5 ·
Yeah, I'd get a new pull rod if it were me. But you will need to get the one that the shock you have is set up to run with, or you'll have to have your shock rebuilt if you get a different pull rod.

The pull rod you have does seem like it's been extended, I agree with you on that. My guess is that the other holes are for changing the ride height or something. But I don't understand how the shock would work right, unless whoever did that had multiple shocks to use. Because if you used the other holes, it would change the entire geometry of the rear shock/linkage set up, and all that is one of the most important factors that shock builders take into consideration when they build/set up a shock.

If you're missing the bolt for the bottom of the shock, there isn't much help anyone can give you. You'll just have to get another bolt.

#6 ·
Yeah I found the OEM bolt online and I am buying it.. Crazy, the head fell off!
Anyways.. Yeah I am going to call monday and find out which one needs to be bought.. It's pretty crazy to me how that crap would even work.. It did have Elka TT shocks first.. Then that axis rear and both mounted fine..

#7 ·
QUOTE (Jacob C. @ Feb 15 2009, 02:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746734
It's pretty crazy to me how that crap would even work.. It did have Elka TT shocks first.. Then that axis rear and both mounted fine..[/b]
Bingo. That's exactly what I thought. It's not as much about mounting problems as it would be the shock working right.

For it to work right, you'd pretty much HAVE to have 2 different shocks. So if they had TT shocks (shorter) they could run the bolt through one of the other holes to lower the quad, and when they were doing regular riding they could put that Axis shock on there and use the stock hole. That makes more sense to me anyway.

#9 ·
Nah, I don't know what they cost. I thought about getting one a while back, but I decided not to because I'd just ordered my rear shock and I didn't wanna have to send it back. Plus, I had ridden a YFZ with the stock linkage and a Fox shock set up for my weight and I felt like it was good enough that it didn't need an aftermarket linkage.

#10 ·
yeah grant, I talked to someone today and he said don't even worry about it. He said mount it on the regular hole.
(since it was extended) and as long as it's not all chopped up then it should be no problem.
But he did say if I were to get a new one get a OEM.. I just don't want a new OEM one because 1. money, and 2. no blue PC.

But it seems perfect and I put everything back together! the bolt in the picture was the correct bolt I was "missing" It just had no head on the end! So i put it inside to put it all back together, and tomorrow I am going to buy a new one..
Then just have to wait for my gibsons to come in and my front Axis shocks to be finished! I can't wait.. even though i've been for a month and a half :mhihi:

#11 ·
QUOTE (Jacob C. @ Feb 16 2009, 11:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747310
yeah grant, I talked to someone today and he said don't even worry about it. He said mount it on the regular hole.
(since it was extended) and as long as it's not all chopped up then it should be no problem.
But he did say if I were to get a new one get a OEM.. I just don't want a new OEM one because 1. money, and 2. no blue PC.

But it seems perfect and I put everything back together! the bolt in the picture was the correct bolt I was "missing" It just had no head on the end! So i put it inside to put it all back together, and tomorrow I am going to buy a new one..
Then just have to wait for my gibsons to come in and my front Axis shocks to be finished! I can't wait.. even though i've been for a month and a half :mhihi:[/b]
I don't know man, I'd replace it if it were me. That hole looks oblong or egg shaped to me, like it's worn out or something. Also, are you sure that the piece that was welded on and sticks out the back isn't going to hit or hang on anything as the suspension moves through its travel? Like I said, personally I'd feel better about replacing it. Who cares if a new one has no PC on it? It's not a part that's easily seen anyway, so it'd be OK until you had time to have it PCed. But that's just my opinion, it's your quad. :icon_biggrin:

I'm also not 100% sure that's the right bolt. I went out and looked, and I don't have another one of them to get a pic of. I've got almost every bolt off a YFZ, but not one of those. :disgust: The bolt that goes in there is threaded with a hole in it. After you tighten it, a pin goes through there to keep it from backing out. But I've always seen a cotter pin used instead of a hair pin like the one in the pic you posted. Maybe it is the right one, has the head been cut off the bolt or what? After I get home from work, I'll try to get a pic of mine for you.

#12 ·
Yeah I just went and ordered the bolt. It turns out the head was completely broken off! it is the correct bolt though.
That's crazy and I am glad it didn't fall out on it's own while riding! Also I use those weird pins a bit more because they are a lot stronger in my opinion.. The thick ones like that atleast.
And yeah one of my friends has a 04-05 pull rod for me and he will give it to me I think..
I just have to go pick it up or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.