YFZ Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is everyone trashing on yamalube honestly?

yamaha makes it and puts their name on it so why is it suppose to be such bad oil?

ive never used it until today i bought 2qts of the 20w-50 4stroke yamalube and changed my oil tonight. First oil change since rebuild with about 2hrs on it. i had been using valvoline VR1 racing 50w but heard not to use the car oils because its a wet clutch and will cause the clutch slippage.

the guy that does the work on my quad owns a race shop formally known as (Rocky Ridge Racing) and is a damn good engine builder for mx and xc racing and he has always reccomended me to use castrol 20w-50, he also help design the 2009 yfz450R frames himself and bill ballance, but that didnt sound good to me since its cheap oil and everything, so since then ive used the VR1 racing oil

give me ur .02 on it

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
i use bel ray thumper synthetic because it is specifically designed for the application and is synthetic.. yamalube is organic i think...

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats the reasoning for calling it crisco? anyone got proof that its no good oil and what has it caused to go wrong and how do you know it was the oil quality that is the problem

·
Registered
291 Posts
ive been using Yamalube 20w-50 for the last couple years and I havent had any clutch problems or any other problems from using it.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (ballsdeep450 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751563
ive been using Yamalube 20w-50 for the last couple years and I havent had any clutch problems or any other problems from using it.[/b]
thats the first positive thing ive heard about it on this site since i been reading about changing oils...i just spent 725 dollars on motor getting rebuilt and dont wanna be back in that same spot because of the oil i use so i switched to yamalube thinkin it was better since yamaha makes it

·
Registered
291 Posts
QUOTE (yfzracer045 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751568
thats the first positive thing ive heard about it on this site since i been reading about changing oils...i just spent 725 dollars on motor getting rebuilt and dont wanna be back in that same spot because of the oil i use so i switched to yamalube thinkin it was better since yamaha makes it[/b]
I dont know why people talk bad about it but like you said Yamaha makes it... How can it be so bad? and oh ya i run the semi synthetic

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (ballsdeep450 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751572
I dont know why people talk bad about it but like you said Yamaha makes it... How can it be so bad? and oh ya i run the semi synthetic[/b]
isnt the semi synthetic for the v twins and other street bikes??? i was readin on a bottle of it before i bought the 4stroke 20w-50 i didnt buy the semi synthetic because it said designed for v twins

·
Registered
291 Posts
QUOTE (yfzracer045 @ Feb 26 2009, 09:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751575
isnt the semi synthetic for the v twins and other street bikes??? i was readin on a bottle of it before i bought the 4stroke 20w-50 i didnt buy the semi synthetic because it said designed for v twins[/b]

I dont think it matters but if you look at a bottle of 10w-50 semi-synthetic yamalube theres a picture of a dirtbike on the cover. Like i said ive had no problems. i had my motor rebuilt in november of 07 all new oem valves, oem valve springs, oem clutch, oem piston, rings etc.(installing a 13.5:1 CP by this weekend :icon_biggrin: ), and my head was ported. Ill run Yamalube for as long as i can find it.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
I've never been a fan of Yamalube myself just because I've heard of a few engine failures while running. From people I know keep an eye on their oil level and change it regularly too, people who take care of their stuff. I had a friend that got me started on Amsoil (he gave me a bunch of it when he sold his quad) and after seeing how good that motor looked when we tore it down, I've stuck with Amsoil ever since. There's a guy that used to race with us that sent his motor to Baldwin Motorsports for some work. He said Mark Baldwin himself called him and asked him what kind of oil he'd been running because that was one of the cleanest/best looking engines he'd been in. This guy was running Amsoil too. I don't have any proof of this, but that's what he told me so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i dont know what the problem is. if you dont service the machine properly, i dont care what kind of oil that you use, youll have problems. amsoil, bel-ray, castrol, yamalube....ive been using yamalube since 2003 and ive never had a problem with it. ive had it in my Suzuki Z400, Polaris Magnum 425, '05 YFZ, and now in my new YFZ450R. i bought a 55 gallon drum of 10W-30 yamalube at an auction for $200 and i use it in my pickup and my car. i think maybe people are just looking for something to blame their engine failures on(when the actual problem is lack of maintainence).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ran Yamalube when I first baught my YFZ and changed the oil every 10 hours because I wasn't riding it nearly as hard as I do now. After I put all the bells and whistles on it (pipe, ignition, filter, rejetting) I switched to AMSOil and started changing it every 6 hours.

What I noticed was the difference of break down and loss of viscosity over the span of 4 hours and I've even ran the AMSOil up to 10 hours (in one day, non stop) and the results were the same:

Yamalube breaks down a lot faster than AMSOil. The 10 hour ride I put on the AMSOil still had enough viscosity to go I'd say atleast 4-5 more hours. The Yamalube was like water, completely broken down.

Just my experience.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
QUOTE (yamracer_53 @ Mar 1 2009, 06:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=752381
i dont know what the problem is. if you dont service the machine properly, i dont care what kind of oil that you use, youll have problems. amsoil, bel-ray, castrol, yamalube....ive been using yamalube since 2003 and ive never had a problem with it. ive had it in my Suzuki Z400, Polaris Magnum 425, '05 YFZ, and now in my new YFZ450R. i bought a 55 gallon drum of 10W-30 yamalube at an auction for $200 and i use it in my pickup and my car. i think maybe people are just looking for something to blame their engine failures on(when the actual problem is lack of maintainence).[/b]
yeah, i dont like the people who change their oil when they feel like it, then wonder why their bike is crap. people just dont realize how much it matters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive used yamaluble since i bought my bike, it only has 40hrs on it but i havent had problems. These bikes will need to be torn down regaurdless and i think a lot of people like to blame oil when it probably had nothing to do with engine failure. I used amsoil in my car and switched back because I saw no difference like everyone had told me I would.

Im not saying amsoil isnt any good, but i change my oil every 7 hours anyway so hopefully I'll be fine. My friend literally only had his oil changed twice in two years before it blew and his is an 05 so mine better last at least that long lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts