YFZ Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 YFZ450R SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally heard from Yamaha.
They're doing a full tear down, replacing cases, basically building me a brand new bottom. Said replacing cylinder and piston is to be determined but they can't not replace it once they see the metal shavings everywhere. The best part is they're actually replacing the clutch basket with the 2009/10. Should be the first brand new yfz motor from yamaha with the 09/10 basket. Everything is 100% covered under warrantee. LUCKY. But I'm still looking at some months till I get it back. R.I.P. riding season.

FYI if you feel you have good enough to luck for it not to happen to you then think twice because that was me three weeks ago. Do yourself and your wallet favor and replace that damn clutch basket!

·
Registered
67 Posts
So finally heard from Yamaha. View attachment 94639 They're doing a full tear down, replacing cases, basically building me a brand new bottom. Said replacing cylinder and piston is to be determined but they can't not replace it once they see the metal shavings everywhere. The best part is they're actually replacing the clutch basket with the 2009/10. Should be the first brand new yfz motor from yamaha with the 09/10 basket. Everything is 100% covered under warrantee. LUCKY. But I'm still looking at some months till I get it back. R.I.P. riding season.

FYI if you feel you have good enough to luck for it not to happen to you then think twice because that was me three weeks ago. Do yourself and your wallet favor and replace that damn clutch basket!
At least Yamaha is fixing it. When I installed the new 09 basket I inspected the old one and the gear had play in it. Rivets were wearing out. Glad I got it when I did.
09 basket is working well!

I did eat a clutch cable last ride. Hopefully that isn’t a thing. Might have just been worn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad to hear Yamaha is taking care of it. I picked up my new 2021 yfz last weekend. Has zero hours on it. The 09-10 conversion parts should be here today. I went with the Hinson FSC clutch.

·
Registered
2019 YFZ450R SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At least Yamaha is fixing it. When I installed the new 09 basket I inspected the old one and the gear had play in it. Rivets were wearing out. Glad I got it when I did.
09 basket is working well!

I did eat a clutch cable last ride. Hopefully that isn’t a thing. Might have just been worn.
Most definitely lucky! I couldn’t believe it when I was told Yamaha going to rebuild and replace with the 09 basket. Since you mention the cable now I’m going to make sure I have a new one when I comes time for it

·
Registered
2019 YFZ450R SE
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to hear Yamaha is taking care of it. I picked up my new 2021 yfz last weekend. Has zero hours on it. The 09-10 conversion parts should be here today. I went with the Hinson FSC clutch.
Oh for sure. And right on you couldn’t have made a better decision for first mod right there. The fact that Yamaha is actually approving the 09 basket really should be grounds for a long overdue recall. If it wasn’t for everything covered under warranty I would have gone recluse or Hinson as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts