YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 04. I want to set up for XC. I have had experience with GT Thunder rear suspension link on TRX450R. Wondering if Houser or GT Thunder rear link better on YFZ450. Welcome feed back from those who have either.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
xc links works great,will lower your ride height a bit and smooth out the suspension>never used a houser but if intended for xc they should be close to the same thing.WES Stone usually sells the gt thunder used links on ebay for $50 and has them time to time.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Gt thunder sucks??Thats pretty harsh since they sponsered quite a few xc riders with Yamaha bikes that finished very well in gncc.My guess is you were setup with the wrong link,linkage or shock for what your doing.Put the houser link and gt thunder link together there almost identical.My travel is silky super smooth with a properly setup rear suspension(Custom dual rate axis,gt thunder linkage,stock swingarm and fresh bearings).In fact ars/fx xc link was the most significantly different design if you put the elka,houser,gt and ars/fx next to each other,and I did and run all 4 with various setups.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Zach23dean,I see Houser is one of your listed sponsers.Well anyway the OP got at least one unbiased opinion.

·
Registered
864 Posts
houser all the way. GT is a cheap alternative plus there no longer in business so you have to hunt down what company took that part over

·
Premium Member
3,631 Posts
houser all the way. GT is a cheap alternative plus there no longer in business so you have to hunt down what company took that part over
Might be BNR ? Not 100% sure though. I think they took over some of their parts but again not 100% sure.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Cheap alternative?We're talking about a link made from a chunk of billet,Bearings,pins,seals are same as stock,and if you mangle a link it would not be covered under any warranty.I guess Gt thunder could have anodized it and charged more.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
BNR is selling the GT products that are still available

·
Registered
864 Posts
well it seems to me your set on GT so there isn't any reason to go on. who makes a link that's un greasable? gt does while houser has grease fittings and ive had my link for almost 4 years. ive seen gt links last 2 years. bnr bought part of gt to make money that's just business. but no one knew the product better than laz. I don't think his kids knew, other wise they would still be going.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I'm No way set on Gt thunder,The link is all I run GT with OEM bearings though.I have plenty of Junk skid plates,poly guards and other Gt crap I learned my lesson the hard way by trying myself and destroying.The GT links are good in my opinion and can be found used cheap.
Who makes a greasable link besides houser?No other MFG I know of,But with the cost of Housers parts and they should put grease fittings on everything,and maybe a few more stickers.

Ever wonder why Yamaha never put grease fittings down on the link and linkage?Must have been weight savings

·
Registered
347 Posts
Gt thunder sucks??Thats pretty harsh since they sponsered quite a few xc riders with Yamaha bikes that finished very well in gncc.My guess is you were setup with the wrong link,linkage or shock for what your doing.Put the houser link and gt thunder link together there almost identical.My travel is silky super smooth with a properly setup rear suspension(Custom dual rate axis,gt thunder linkage,stock swingarm and fresh bearings).In fact ars/fx xc link was the most significantly different design if you put the elka,houser,gt and ars/fx next to each other,and I did and run all 4 with various setups.
Its not just because houser is one of my sponsors, but i ran the gt thunder rebuilt rear shock and their linkage set for xc, and it bucked constantly. I played with all the adjustments and still did it. Switched to the hygear rear shock and stock linkage and it doesnt buck at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its not just because houser is one of my sponsors, but i ran the gt thunder rebuilt rear shock and their linkage set for xc, and it bucked constantly. I played with all the adjustments and still did it. Switched to the hygear rear shock and stock linkage and it doesnt buck at all.
I agree. I tried two diff gt setups and the rear always bucked on kickers, when others were soaking up the hits. Never could get it valved, sprung, or setup right. The fronts were always good.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I valved and setup my axis rear correctly the first time,no bucking.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
i would say gtt. he is one of the ones that made the name for the link. no one has any thing like his because he has a patient on it so no links like his for 10 yrs.
the bucking not from a link that would be how your shock is set up.....

·
Registered
347 Posts
i would say gtt. he is one of the ones that made the name for the link. no one has any thing like his because he has a patient on it so no links like his for 10 yrs.
the bucking not from a link that would be how your shock is set up.....
Its cause by the leverage of the shock linkage actually. Changed the linkage and it doesnt buck lol

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I guess you had a bad one then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts