YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
YES!!!!!!!!!
you can even run straight knobbies and make it up every hill in the dunes..........It's not quick sand :blah If your only going for a day and hurting for cash, I wouldn't even bother buying paddles....you'll be just fine on your stock tires. (that's the truth)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I only have back tires. Most people do not have front sand tires. Only if you ride in sand all the time, and that is the only terrian you ride in usually do people buy front sand tires. Just fill up your front tires with a lot of pressure before you go. Trust me it you do not need front sand tires.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
True, if you don't plan on going alot then I would not even buy rears, but you can for sure have a great time with the rear paddles and the stock fronts.

I know that these are cheap and don't really have the "cool factor" that everybody has to have but the Sand Devils are a pretty dang good straight paddle. Of course not as good as Haulers but at Dumont on Halloween weekend I still had my stock pipe on, with the ESR Air box Eliminator, and the cam mod, and was spanking other YFZ's with GYTR pipes and Haulers. They probably were not jetted right, or something. Now I am not saying at all that the Sand Devils are better just that they will move you up the hill. When I get done with engine mods and get some extra cash I will probably sell mine and buy a set of Haulers so I can be "Cool" too.

My 20x10x8 8 paddle Sand Devils on 8" .125's were only like $150 shipped from Rocky Mountain.

I have 8 weekends on them so far and they still look new.

By the way my 250EX will go almost everywhere with only knobbies on it, just not very fast :lol

You don't need the fronts but they do make it turn better and seem to be a little smoother.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I bought the .125's cause they were cheaper and I mostly dune or drag race and don't do alot of jumpimng to worry about bending them.

And I bought the 20x10x8's cause they were cheaper also but get what you want the 10" wheels look "cooler"

Shipping from them is fast and very reasonable, especially since you live in ca and I live here in NV, Rocky Mtn. is in Utah, mush cheaper than buying from a shop on the east coast and paying shipping across the mississippi river

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just to let you know I got ITP sand stars with rims from cycle parts west for 130.00
and these tires work great. I went to glamis with two friends both of them were on LT 500's with haulers and we were all side by side up comp and old's hill and my bike was stock at the time!!!!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ@Nov 18 2003, 06:42 AM
I sold my front mohawks because I didn't think they were worth the money or hassle to change every time.
Now c'mon... they're easy to change.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you have never ridden in the sand before you might get frustrated with no rear sand tires. If you stop on a slight incline or a hill it will be a w00ter to start and you will probably have to turn you bike around. Also if the wind has just blown the dunes can get very very soft and you can sink real easy without sand tires. If you know how to ride sand you can easily get around in the dunes with stock tires but you won't be keeping up with me. I would try to get some used or borrow a pair if you don't go out that much but I warn you, you could experience sand addiction and there is no 12 step program to get out of it :rock :rock :yfz Hi. my name is rtyfz, I am a sand addict and I go to the dunes 3 times a month :lol

·
Registered
773 Posts
You won't know what the YFZ can do in the sand w/o paddles. Knobbies will get you around, but not the same way paddles do.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Originally posted by selector

You won't know what the YFZ can do in the sand w/o paddles
Originally posted by rtyfz450

If you know how to ride sand you can easily get around in the dunes with stock tires but you won't be keeping up with me....

This sounds like a challenge.....I bet I can run my Kenda Klaws 18 inch mx tires on my heavy old beadlock rims and keep up with YOU. May not be able to beat you in a drag race up the hill, but that's not really dune riding now is it? :nono What do you say? I'll be at Gordon's Well for thanksgiving. Your welcome to come show me the advantages you think you have. :zzz :blah

:sup :sucks :yfz

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think the paddles are more for the bike than the rider. you will get around just fine on knobbies, but you will have to push your bike alot harder than a guy with paddles.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I'll admit it's fun to have paddles out there, and for begginners they are great, because it takes more skill to be fast with knobbies then paddles.....plus they will help you get out of certain situations alot better than knobbies (though you should of never ended up in that situation) But to say that you can't go fast with knobbies, or they suck, or you MUST have them for the dunes is WRONG. simple as that. I've beaten quite a few banshees raptors ds650's, and even a YFZ with paddles when I'm running my knobbies. Our group runs 4th and 5th pinned on our fast rides, not once has anyone left me behind cause of my "Lack of traction" :re

Oh and my fan never turns on when I'm running my Kenda knobbies, but it's on constantly when I'm running my Hauler paddles. To much traction works the motor more than to little traction.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This sounds like a challenge.....I bet I can run my Kenda Klaws 18 inch mx tires on my heavy old beadlock rims and keep up with YOU. May not be able to beat you in a drag race up the hill, but that's not really dune riding now is it?  What do you say? I'll be at Gordon's Well for thanksgiving. Your welcome to come show me the advantages you think you have. 
I am up for any challange and I am not cocky but i will say that it will take a really good rider to stay will our group without paddles. yeah the "noobs" are fine for the dunes when you are up to speed but when you have to stop really fast and then turn and keep up momentum is when you will have serious problems especailly when you ride behind me. We dune all day and are not straight draggers but I will denfinatly work you up the hill. face it these tires are used for a reason because they work for sand not because they are just as good as noobies. I will not be there for thanksgiving because I like to dune not get run over by some drunken idiot or just watch the crazy stuff. but will be there this weekend, after thanksgiving and welcome you to join. By the way if you use haulers they are for draggin not for duning harcore it looks like you like to win or why would you have them? And my fan hardly ever comes on with paddles.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
The only reason I have them is because my little brother had them for his stock 400ex, and it was too much paddle. I wanted to see if the YFZ was better with or with out paddles so I took his, and put them on an extra set of yamaha rims that I had.....so they're mine until I return them :lol but I mainly run the knobbies. Like I said you'll most likely win up the hill if were equal riders......cause that is where a paddle is better than the knobby.

I would like to go duning with you one day though...seriously. And I'm not trying to be a dick either.....maybe we'll make this like a Dirtwheels write up "are paddles all the claim to be" ...I'm from San Diego, and frequent the dunes quite often. I know I'll be out there for a week after X-mas. SO lets hook it up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
cool after x-mas sounds like a good time. I was serious also and I know we could have some fun :evilgrin

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hey Boss, I usually bring stock tires and paddles out there and change them after every couple of rides. Both are fun as hell for different reasons. I'd recommend a V paddle for you like sand skate 2's. As far as front sand tires go I've never gotten around to buying those so I just use the stock tires and they work fine. What PSI are you guys running in your front and back tires in the sand?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I run 10 psi in my front knobby tires......never ran front dune tires.

I run 4 psi in my rear knobby tires, and 5 psi in my Hauler paddles. Reason is the less psi you have the more grip you'll get. BUt with the haulers, running them at 4 and lower mos often they get too much grip, and can actually slow you down. ;) Plus if you jump you'll bend a rim quickly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well it looks like I learned something today. I usually run 4 to five PSI in my rear tires and the same in the front. So I guess I should put more air in the fronts for the sand? Will this make the steering feel lighter or something?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts