YFZ Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've read like every post on the different intake systems available and still can't decide which one to get. I've eliminated anything that uses the restrictive stock intake tube (e.g. Noss, ProDesign, Alba, etc.). So that leaves me with 3 choices...

1. Ron Woods w/airbox - looks great, until you see the tiny K&N filter it uses. Claims a 1.5 HP gain over stock. I would feel safer using this setup.

2. Ron Woods without airbox - looks great again - huge K&N filter. Claims a 5.5 HP gain over stock.

3. ESR without airbox - looks good. Big K&N filter. No HP claims, but probably pretty close to the Woods intake.

Now an extra 4 HP from either of the no airbox intakes sounds like the way to go. But no airbox - I know that's common for duners, but I want to race MX, GP, and trail ride as well as the dunes. Would I run into any problems with no airbox in any of those environments? I don't plan on riding through creeks or in mud or anything. But how about in light rain? Don't want to suck water into my brand new baby. Any thoughts?

- Scott

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Scott,

I think you run that risk as soon as you take the closed environment away. Maybe sometimes of outerwear would help keep it dry(er).

Let me know if it is a problem cuz that is the way I was going to go when I get my exhaust.

Steve

G

·
EVEN IN LIGHT RAIN, YOU ABOSLUTELY NEED AN AIRBOX! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.HERES A LIST OF THE PLACES U CAN RUN WITH NO AIRBOX.

DUNES
DESERT
INDOOR MX
VERY DRY OUTDOOR MX

GOOD LUCK :D ALSO OFFROAD ACE IS RIGHT AN OUTERWEAR WOULD DEFFINATLY HELP

·
Registered
39 Posts
What about if you use one of those "water repellant" Outerwears?

Since I ride primarily in the dunes and an occasional rainy day is not uncommon up here in the Northwest I'm assuming that my ESR no-airbox setup with a K&N and a water repellant Outerwear should be okay.

Besides... if it get's wet then I'm riding too slow!! :lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes of course I would be using an Outerwears pre-filter. And I would have a glide plate, so rocks shooting up and hitting it wouldn't be a huge concern...at least I hope not. Anyone ever have any problems with this setup? What kind of setup do the pros use?

- Scott

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I have ran my ESR intake in the desert when it was damp with very few small puddles and I had no problems. I run an outerwear and lightly oil it to help dust stick to it and not go through it.

I would not run this setup at all though if there was much water where you are riding.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What about if you use one of those "water repellant" Outerwears?

i ve heard that the water resistant outer wear restricts the airflow. :nono

·
Registered
96 Posts
Plan B: keep your air box. run you woods set-up in the dunes and when dry. change back to the air box with k&n when in a wet situation. you may run into a small jetting difference but this would be easy to do and give you the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by quadfatherbob@Jan 2 2004, 04:26 PM
Plan B: keep your air box. run you woods set-up in the dunes and when dry. change back to the air box with k&n when in a wet situation. you may run into a small jetting difference but this would be easy to do and give you the best of both worlds.
Good idea!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
i take it that you can't use a big filter w/ the airbox?

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you run a foam air filter u could try PJ1 foam air filter oil it repels water like a mo fo i wouldnt recomend geting to wet with this setup but it will give you a little more piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I asked this a while back but i didnt get an answer. I already have a K&N from albas pro flow kit. But i want ron woods intake. Will his intake be ok with the airfilter i already have w/ an airbox? I just wanna change that boot cause its horrible. Will ron woods sel me something like that?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by YFZdream450@Jan 16 2004, 09:08 AM
I asked this a while back but i didnt get an answer. I already have a K&N from albas pro flow kit. But i want ron woods intake. Will his intake be ok with the airfilter i already have w/ an airbox? I just wanna change that boot cause its horrible. Will ron woods sel me something like that?
i was wondering the same question, but kinda answered it on my own: i doubt it.

plus you would be $100 in the hole from the aluminum adapter you just bought...

·
Registered
479 Posts
i'm confused,,, can i get the ron woods, use the uni filter w/ it and keep the airbox?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by quadfatherbob@Jan 2 2004, 04:26 PM
The jetting differences vs the stock intake and Woods setup is huge, you would have to rejet for sure...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Originally posted by liftedtaco38s@Jan 16 2004, 09:14 AM
i'm confused,,, can i get the ron woods, use the uni filter w/ it and keep the airbox?
yes u can keep the uni u will have to find one with the correct opening to clamp onto the intake though(all u have to do is measure) and yes u can keep your airbox.

·
Registered
479 Posts
sick, i think thats what i'm gonna have to do!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Couple things to remember with Rons Intake kit:

(I am currently using Ron's Racing Freeflow kit, but have previously had his regular freeflow kit, and Alba's billet kit w/K&N filter)

1. Ron's intake, whether you're using the 39mm or 45mm intakes (I'd recommend the 45mm) will not work with ex. Alba's K&N filter. The filter that Ron uses is specially made for him, and is not even listed in K&N's catalogue.

2. I switched from the reg kit to the racing free flow, because the smaller K&N filter that goes with the reg. kit - which will fit into the air box, is too small and restricts the intake. This set up is still better than the stock set up, but you are leaving hp on the table. If you absolutely need the air box, this is the better recommendation.

3. If you don't need an airbox, the racing freeflow kit is the best way to go. The K&N filter is the much larger conical size, and fits directly onto the intake. Installation shoudl take no longer than literally 3-5 min.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts