YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
willl an 08 shock /linkage fit on the r or is there any way to convert it to make it fit?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
QUOTE (GRS 22 @ Feb 17 2009, 12:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747325
willl an 08 shock /linkage fit on the r or is there any way to convert it to make it fit?[/b]
Please excuse my stupidity, but it is my understanding that the new R shocks are slightly larger and have more travel than an 08. Why would someone want to 'downgrade' from an updated shock to a more slightly inferior 08 shock? I could see trying to use an R shock on an older model, but you stumped me with your question. Some of the R shocks photographed here on Central appear to me to be a dual rate rear spring, which is ohhhhh so nice compared to a single rate, older model design shock.

I would bet there would be some issues in trying to do what it is you are trying to do, because of the entirely redesigned new R, but who knows? Maybe it can be done.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
No. The linkage mount on the swingarm is moved back about an inch.
Your shock and linkage would be way too short.

It might work if you also used an '08 swingarm.

But like Husker said............... Why????????????

The YFZR suspension is as good or better than 90% of any aftermarket YFZ set up.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have n after market rear shock with stock linkage on it so that hsock is better.

but is it the same fittings ust a longer shock so i can go to ohlins and order a rear shock just as long as its the same size??

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
if you get any long travel suspension you will be fine. Not very hard to figure out...

·
Registered
311 Posts
QUOTE (DADDIO @ Feb 17 2009, 08:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747398
No. The linkage mount on the swingarm is moved back about an inch.
Your shock and linkage would be way too short.

It might work if you also used an '08 swingarm.

But like Husker said............... Why????????????

The YFZR suspension is as good or better than 90% of any aftermarket YFZ set up.[/b]
I still dont think there is a reason to do it, but might be a reason to put the old swingarm. Ive been meaning to try it. the 08 is a little bit shorter, and a few of the a-arm companies are moving the arms forward. You loose a little bit of cornering by doing that, but with a slightly shorter swing arm that could help that.... But you would have to test to see how it works.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (DADDIO @ Feb 17 2009, 10:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747398
The YFZR suspension is as good or better than 90% of any aftermarket YFZ set up.[/b]
That's a pretty bold statement. :icon_eek: If it's better than my Walsh/Fox YFZ, I guess I'll have to get one even though I think they are uglier than farting in sunday school.

QUOTE (YFZER359 @ Feb 17 2009, 10:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747747
if you get any long travel suspension you will be fine. Not very hard to figure out...[/b]
Uuuuhhh, what?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts