YFZ Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was down at Winchester bay a few weekends ago and was excited to hit my favorite hill shot, the widow maker, but when we rode over to the bottom we found the Forrest service had pulled trees down across the trail and put big wooden posts in the middle of the trail and posted signs at both ends stating "no motorized vehicles beyond this point" I'm wondering if anyone knows why they would do that. I'm pretty bummed because that's always been a super fun and challenging hill! I know the past year there's been a tree down that you have to duck really low to get under. Did someone lose a head or something!?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It's part of the new dune closure, they are closing most of the trails that go through the trees. So much for the Oregon dunes being a unique dune riding experience.

·
Registered
858 Posts
There is a rare species of mosquito that breeds on those hill climbs by the trees. The USFS spent 45 billion dollars researching this particular species of mosquito. PETA recommended they close the entire dune area because of this. Luckily, they can't find enough downed trees to close off the entire dunes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a rare species of mosquito that breeds on those hill climbs by the trees. The USFS spent 45 billion dollars researching this particular species of mosquito. PETA recommended they close the entire dune area because of this. Luckily, they can't find enough downed trees to close off the entire dunes.
This whole situation strikes a nevre, and this statement that is bolded strikes an even deeper nerve. Sorry, in advance if you take it that I'm being rude, becuase I'm not trying to be rude at all.

Here is why this strikes my nerve. they close a area to off-roading, and as a community, I hear this statement constantly from multiple people about every closure. This is completely the wrong approach, and this is why. They close a small portion of an area, and people say, "luckly they didn't close the whole thing," then a couple years latter, they close another small area, I hear "luckily they didn't close the whole area," The problem with this approach is they keep closing down small areas, and people keep saying this, and eventually the whole area does end up closed down, because they slow eat away at it. So, IMO, every single off-roader should be up in arms about every closure, instead of saying "luckily they didn't close the whole area." So every single off roader should fight every single closure, no matter what, because that is the only way to stop the constant closures of small portions of land.

Does anyone have a link to the government page that talks about the closure. I have some other sites I'd like to post about it on, hopefully get enough people that will stand up and fight the closure, and hopefully get the area re opened.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said this is the first I've heard of this closure, but I completely agree with you sdtrx450r, I would like to help do something about it but I don't know where to start, or who to contact.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like I said this is the first I've heard of this closure, but I completely agree with you sdtrx450r, I would like to help do something about it but I don't know where to start, or who to contact.
I wasn't necessarily directing my rant at any individual person, but to the off-road community as a whole.

I guess we can all start by writing a letter or emailing the head of the USFS, and if that isn't the right person, hopefully it will get redirected to the right person, someone either in charge of the park or someone who will hopefully do something about this, and if we get every single member to do that, hopefully they will hear the message and reopen the closed area. The problem is, doing this takes time, and I know lots of people have busy lives, so don't feel bad if you don't have time to do this, but maybe something to maybe do if your sitting around one day with nothing to do.

I know we defiantly shouldn't settle for well enough. Because that is what we have been doing for a long time as a community, and they just keep closing areas, you know the saying, "divide and conquer", that is what they are doing, and we keep letting them get away with it.

Sorry about ranting on and on, like I said, this stuff just really strikes my nerve.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I completely agree. It's going to take a lot of people to be heard though. I think that's the hardest part is getting people to speak up

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but where at Winchester is Widow Maker? I have been down all 5 fingers of the area, but not sure where Widow Maker is. Winchester is one of the last great areas to ride. Florence is ok, but too many razorbacks and witches eyes out there. I miss riding at Winchester.

·
Super Moderator
3,098 Posts
Widow maker is Left of banshee hill.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Although I'm pretty sure the closure is permanent, my friends and I did find an even more difficult tree shot last summer. Across from the top of the finger there some easy little tree shots, one looks like it doesn't go anywhere but it actually makes a sharp turn around a tree and then drops off in to the canyon. It's pretty insane but there's a chicken way out that lets you out by the top of banshee

·
Super Moderator
3,098 Posts
Although I'm pretty sure the closure is permanent, my friends and I did find an even more difficult tree shot last summer. Across from the top of the finger there some easy little tree shots, one looks like it doesn't go anywhere but it actually makes a sharp turn around a tree and then drops off in to the canyon. It's pretty insane but there's a chicken way out that lets you out by the top of banshee
done it a lot, crazy coming up to the tree with the root that's there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts