YFZ Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing my rear tires right now and the only size the shop near me has in stock is 20/11/9 are there any downsides to running a wider tire on MX tracks. and before you say it I know 18's are better but I cant afford to replace all four tires right now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
if there bigger more weight

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
i was told a skinnier tire is better for MX..... why would they start making the holeshots 10" wide instead of 11? Tamers 9.5" wide? I think it is you stay on top of the dirt better or sumthing like that

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ_53@Feb 15 2004, 06:51 PM
i was told a skinnier tire is better for MX..... why would they start making the holeshots 10" wide instead of 11? Tamers 9.5" wide? I think it is you stay on top of the dirt better or sumthing like that
probly better for turning

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
yea, i would say get 18"s

you can go 18's in the back with the stock fronts. i have raced like that.

im not sure if wider is better or worse...

·
Registered
743 Posts
20/11/9 is the stock size. 20"high 11"wide 9"rim. Going down to 18/10/9 or 8 is better for MX. The 18 inch tire will lower your bike 1 inch in the rear for a lower center of gravity for turning. It also gives the feeling of a lower gear ratio. you will have more snap when you hit the throttle, but will lose top speed and would have to shift sooner. The smaller tires also have less wieght, this means quicker reving as well. For MX I use 18X10X8 Holeshot MXR's with a 36 tooth renthal sprocket. I like the 8" rim because it gives me more rubber just in case it is a little rutty or rough.

:yfz

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by mikemike@Feb 16 2004, 11:56 AM
20/11/9 is the stock size. 20"high 11"wide 9"rim. Going down to 18/10/9 or 8 is better for MX. The 18 inch tire will lower your bike 1 inch in the rear for a lower center of gravity for turning. It also gives the feeling of a lower gear ratio. you will have more snap when you hit the throttle, but will lose top speed and would have to shift sooner. The smaller tires also have less wieght, this means quicker reving as well. For MX I use 18X10X8 Holeshot MXR's with a 36 tooth renthal sprocket. I like the 8" rim because it gives me more rubber just in case it is a little rutty or rough.

:yfz
20x10x9 is stock size...... 10" wide........ the 18" tire will be much better because of the C.G........ also go to a 8" rim like stated above if you can... the more sidewall, the harder it is to bend the rim...... i say go w/ wat u can afford..... the Kenda Klaws are one of the best tires out there and they come in a 18x10.5x9 size if you would like to get them...... theyre also pretty cheap :rock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts