YFZ Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this might be a hit or miss but here we go,Why did yamaha come out with the R I no the yfz450 was allready a great bike but were they getting there ass handed to them at the track I dont know I dont race?
zthanks guy :icon_biggrin:

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
probably just to have a yfz for mx and then one for trails and xc

·
Registered
234 Posts
QUOTE (userma3648 @ Feb 22 2009, 05:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749444
Well this might be a hit or miss but here we go,Why did yamaha come out with the R I no the yfz450 was allready a great bike but were they getting there ass handed to them at the track I dont know I dont race?
zthanks guy
:icon_biggrin:[/b]
With more competitive bikes like the KTM, there is a newer or progressive market for mx styled bikes. I think it was necessary for yamaha to progress forward and make a wave so to speak, so with so many improvements such as the frame, width, fuel injection, etc... why not just drop a new bike as you phase out the older chassis. Plus you see the same thing with the can-am's, KTM's etc. they have a "race ready" model and a base. I think yamaha is just keeping up with the times.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just like the person above me commented, there just keeping up with other company's. I just hope they keep the old YFZ around for a little.

Has there been any rumors or anything about honda?? they have had pretty much the same set up since 2004.
just wondering.lol

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
In my opinion, it's just advancements in technology and improving procucts. If they could come out with a quad that they felt was better, then WHY NOT do it? If all companies had the "Eh, what we have is good enough" attitude, this sport would have died out a long time ago. Because when Honda stopped making the 250R, it almost died then. But then they came out with the 400EX, which led to the LTZ400 and KFX400, which eventually led the the YFZ, TRX450R, LT-R, KFX450R, DS450, KTM 450, so on and son on.

But it's not just quads that this happens with. ALL products are constantly improving. Automobiles, computers, TVs, radios, cell phones, buildings, houses, roads and highways...................EVERYTHING I can think of has improved over time just because of technology. NOTHING is perfect, so there is room for improvement with EVERY product.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Hillclimbingrecon @ Feb 22 2009, 02:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749462
Just like the person above me commented, there just keeping up with other company's. I just hope they keep the old YFZ around for a little.

Has there been any rumors or anything about honda?? they have had pretty much the same set up since 2004.
just wondering.lol[/b]
Ya you know dam well that honda will setup! So do you think the new R will be the cream of the crop? how good is the ktm?

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
From what I've heard, the YFZ-R is one of the best quads out right now. I know a friend of mine had one he was testing, and when I asked him how he liked it compared to his full MX TRX450, he said "It's fast!!"

The KTMs are VERY nice bikes, but they are expensive. But as far as 100% showroom stock, I don't think they can be beat. But they cost like $11,500 so by the time you buy one of the other quads and spend the difference in price in upgrades...........who knows?

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
I agree with you Grant on the KTM. That quad is just fundamentaly built with all the small detials in mind. IMO it's unbeatable straight off the show room.

To answer one of the other questions in the first post about Yamaha getting their ass handed to them, well IMO I think motor design was a limiting factor. As well as some geometry features. Let's not forget though that Thomas Brown turned out to be the Pro Am champion at the end of the season...plus it was said that it was all done on the same bike ALL season.

So I think riding style has alot to do with it. Pat Brown won the Montreal Suprcross on a YFZ last year. I'm thinking that them bottom end of the powerband on these YFZ's are much stronger then other 450's out there but when these motors are pushed to the limits on a more wide open track like Red Bud or Unadilla they are limited....but who am I, just some MX junky that follows the Nationals through out the year..

BTW, I think that the Kawi's are making a big turn around this year. I think well known builders are begining to get a feel of where to find the power from thses quads. Look out for Cody Gibson, Josh Creamer and Wienen....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (CADWELL @ Feb 22 2009, 05:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749525
I agree with you Grant on the KTM. That quad is just fundamentaly built with all the small detials in mind. IMO it's unbeatable straight off the show room.

To answer one of the other questions in the first post about Yamaha getting their ass handed to them, well IMO I think motor design was a limiting factor. As well as some geometry features. Let's not forget though that Thomas Brown turned out to be the Pro Am champion at the end of the season...plus it was said that it was all done on the same bike ALL season.

So I think riding style has alot to do with it. Pat Brown won the Montreal Suprcross on a YFZ last year. I'm thinking that them bottom end of the powerband on these YFZ's are much stronger then other 450's out there but when these motors are pushed to the limits on a more wide open track like Red Bud or Unadilla they are limited....but who am I, just some MX junky that follows the Nationals through out the year..

BTW, I think that the Kawi's are making a big turn around this year. I think well known builders are begining to get a feel of where to find the power from thses quads. Look out for Cody Gibson, Josh Creamer and Wienen....[/b]
thats good to here yamaha is still on top,lol

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
QUOTE (userma3648 @ Feb 22 2009, 06:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749557
thats good to here yamaha is still on top,lol[/b]
of course they are! lol

one salesman at my dealer seems to think that YFZ's have been that worst 450 since they came out, total bullpoopy. It has won basically every shootout i've seen it in, best normal (not YFZR class) 450 IMO. Honda is thw worst IMO cuz they havent changed anything since they first came out, maybe a few things here and there but nothing big like the YFZ, motor change, suspension changes etc.

but back to the topic, like said before. Advancements in technology have really improved the sport. But one thing, waitin for a double flip on a quad... :clap: :mhihi: :bowdown:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (YFZER359 @ Feb 22 2009, 06:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749570
of course they are! lol

one salesman at my dealer seems to think that YFZ's have been that worst 450 since they came out, total bullpoopy. It has won basically every shootout i've seen it in, best normal (not YFZR class) 450 IMO. Honda is thw worst IMO cuz they havent changed anything since they first came out, maybe a few things here and there but nothing big like the YFZ, motor change, suspension changes etc.

but back to the topic, like said before. Advancements in technology have really improved the sport. But one thing, waitin for a double flip on a quad... :clap: :mhihi: :bowdown:[/b]
dont know if you know but they tried on a snowmobile in the X games it looked like a hell of a ride,lol I am glad to see yamaha has steped up there game! In this day and age you have to to stay on top,but I asked this question becuase some people say if the horse ante broken than why fix it.Well the a bounch of crap there is always roon for inprovment :icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
QUOTE (userma3648 @ Feb 22 2009, 06:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749557
thats good to here yamaha is still on top,lol[/b]

QUOTE (YFZER359 @ Feb 22 2009, 06:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749570
Honda is thw worst IMO cuz they havent changed anything since they first came out, maybe a few things here and there but nothing big like the YFZ, motor change, suspension changes etc.[/b]

Actually TRX's are more reliable in a Racing sense, especially the '04-'05 model years. These are the years that had yet to have tranny failures like other newer years which is why Mark Baldwin started tinkering with the gears to harden them. I believe Joe Byrd's bikes have thse years motors in them, plus you can push the limits of the Honda 450 motors then the YFZ motors.

But anyways back to the YFZR lol...

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (YFZER359 @ Feb 22 2009, 07:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749570
one salesman at my dealer seems to think that YFZ's have been that worst 450 since they came out, total bullpoopy. It has won basically every shootout i've seen it in, best normal (not YFZR class) 450 IMO. Honda is thw worst IMO cuz they havent changed anything since they first came out, maybe a few things here and there but nothing big like the YFZ, motor change, suspension changes etc.[/b]
The TRX has changed just as much as the YFZ has. "Nothing big like the YFZ, motor change, and suspension changes"........boy those were really drastic. :strokin: Honda and Yamaha are both known to run a design into the ground before they change much at all, both have been that way for as long as I can remember. The make 1 or 2 tiny changes every year and offer "bold new graphics" and that's about all. The YFZ's motor didn't really change that much. Starting in '06 they had a little bit more stroke and the combustion chamber was slightly different...........in my opinion if all the parts are interchangeable then it's not that big of a change. As for the shocks, other than some of them having both high and low speed adjustments, they changed the valving a little and that's all.

The salesman could have been referring to MX use, because most people are in agreement that the YFZ is not as good for MX as some of the other 450 quads. A lot of people don't like the powerband on a YFZ for MX racing, they say it tires them out. I know several guys who prefer the Honda or Suzuki because of their broader powerband. The front frame geometry of a YFZ leaves a lot to be desired, and the motors become more prone to failure if really built very much. Which is why mine is still a relatively mild build (crank, high compression, porting) because I can't afford to build a new motor every few races.

QUOTE (CADWELL @ Feb 22 2009, 08:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=749613
Actually TRX's are more reliable in a Racing sense, especially the '04-'05 model years. These are the years that had yet to have tranny failures like other newer years which is why Mark Baldwin started tinkering with the gears to harden them. I believe Joe Byrd's bikes have thse years motors in them, plus you can push the limits of the Honda 450 motors then the YFZ motors.[/b]
Once again Chris, you and I are in agreement.

But from what I'm hearing from my Honda buddies, they are starting to figure out the tranny issues on the newer ones. They tell me that the newer TRX's are definately faster than the older ones. Baldwin isn't the only one who's having the gears back cut and hardened. My friend Patton sent his '08 bottom end to some place that's big in NASCAR to have all the gears in his cut and coated. It's supposed to help the durability and performance of the motor. And I know just from riding with him, you can tell the difference in his motors and other TRXs motors that are built. His REALLY has some balls! :icon_eek: When the '06 TRXs first came out, Joe Byrd kept running his '05s for a while just because they felt like the bottom end was better (at the time) than the '06. But I think now those issues are over with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts