YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on the new GYTR system tonight. Started and let it idle only. After about 1 minute, turned the choke all the way off. About 2 minutes later, it started to turn color and eventually got this hot after about 2 more minutes. This was at IDLE ONLY! I tried to touch the gas a few times after the motor was plenty warm and it just wanted to stall when I first touched it, but then eventually revved. I only revved it a little bit, then shut it down. Something doesn't seem right here..........

My only thought is jetting. It was jetted for the Sparks Big Core system. I know the main is 175, and I don't know the rest. Airbox lid is off and has Sparks high flow filter.

Any help is much appreciated.............

·
Registered
30 Posts
wow get out the hotdogs and the marshmellows and start toasting...now is this a ti front head pipe on this unit? cause i know they do glow red but yours seems to be really hot.. how warm was it out when u did this. id be interested to see the jetting they recommended. but that looks like its way lean...or its way rich from the hot fuel entering the pipe too also how thin is the pipe? cause i know my sparks pipe with ceramic coating on it still glows sometimes at night but if this is during the day id be worried. is that the new can on the rear end and head pipe cause i was also wondering about how they performed too

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just put on the new GYTR system tonight. Started and let it idle only. After about 1 minute, turned the choke all the way off. About 2 minutes later, it started to turn color and eventually got this hot after about 2 more minutes. This was at IDLE ONLY! I tried to touch the gas a few times after the motor was plenty warm and it just wanted to stall when I first touched it, but then eventually revved. I only revved it a little bit, then shut it down. Something doesn't seem right here..........

My only thought is jetting. It was jetted for the Sparks Big Core system. I know the main is 175, and I don't know the rest. Airbox lid is off and has Sparks high flow filter.

Any help is much appreciated.............

[/b]
You need to go up one size on your pilot jet...

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Up as in numerically larger, right?[/b]
yep, should be at around 45-48 pilot. also, what needle are you using and whats its position? and fuel screw setting?

i've never seen a header glow that bright...especially under light! that'd light up a room in the dark!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll tear it apart tomorrow and see. I just bought the quad - no idea what is in there. Ran great with the Sparks system on it. Guess this new GYTR system craves different jets more than I thought it would.

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
I hope you have a 42 or max a 45 pilot in there now, cuz you really need to jet it up some. Unless you have a 50 pilot in there. Open it up and let us know the jets and pilot jet for sure! Was this at night with the flash or day time??

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pic was taken in my garage that has 24 fluorescent bulbs hanging 12' up. Its bright as day in there. No flash.

I'll post up what I find tonight.

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
Then something is definatly wrong. When I dyno tested all them pipes... NONE of them glowed and it was not as bright as all of your 24 lights. :icon_eek:

Also make sure the fuel screw is in and not close off. I start mine at 2 out.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Looks like it's running lean maybe. But still, that's pretty crazy!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Wholey..cook me up a steak on that bad boy. :angryfire: I know everyone has said it already, but that doesn't seem right. That is nearly transparent

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I found in there:
ncvq on 4th clip down
2.25 out

What now? Any advice is appreciated.

FYI, from a dead stop, if I hit the gas fast, it dies immediately. It also wants to stall (when I'm riding around) unless I keep the RPM's up. Idles fine. Other than that, seems to run fine.

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
When I dyno tested my GYTR(that never glowed) I had a 42 pilot in there. Try a 50 and then try a 42 pilot jet. Bad news is that your jetting should be dang close for that pipe.

Check to make sure the float isn't sticking or debre in the needle/ seat assembly in the bowl of the carb. Also blow out all passage ways inside the carb (compressed air). Maybe there is a air jet or fuel jet gunked up. Has the slide ever been removed? Maybe it is in backwards.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have same problem with new GYTR pipe At idle it glows cherry red just like you pic. I juct put motor back together It has a 98 mm bigbore , hot rod wr crank, ESR ported intake, And just had RAGE ATV port head and bore carb to 43mm also accel pump and other modifications to carb he said was needed. They jetted carb to match engine build with a 210 main needle(?) on last clip, 45 pilot ,90. It stars right off in one revolution no cranking Ideal surges a little up and down but not to rough. after a couple of minutes it looks just like you pipe. If I take it up a quarter throtle and let off it pops alittle but doesnt come back down to ideal for 20 or 30 secounds. Motors new so Ididnt want to rev it very high before it losens up alittle but Ihate to let it ideal very long running this hot. Also the fan is on and off all the time and it never came on before unless it ran fo ten minutes or more. Itried adjusting Full screw all the way in to three turns out no change. Do you thank a 48 pilot would make that much differance as a 45 with screw three turns out HELP

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
When I dyno'd that pipe I knew that it was going to take fatter jetting, so try the 48 maybe even a 50. The fan coming on is saying the motor is to hot. The glowing might be from the very thin wall tubing, but the fan kicking is tells us it is to hot.

Ask DASA about it :mhihi:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i have a wierd problem. both me and my dad have ypshi trc pro series pipes on with the exact same jetting and my head pipe glows and his doesnt at all. i odnt get it

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just finished setting up my new exhaust and intake system. With the new GYTR W/O spark arrestor, and FCI I was at

182 main (may try one higher)
48 pilot
3rd clip NCVQ
2 turns on the fuel screw

Previously I had a Pro Design intake and an LRD pro4 full system and ran

178 main
45 pilot
3rd clip NCVQ
2 turns

I would try the 48 as mine idles and revved really clean with it. Hope this helps, Tersejr helped me with my intial jetting so listen to the guy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All, I allways find that if you start small and stupid 9 out of 10 times you find the problem.

Is there water in the cooling system (radiator).
Is the water pump operating properly.
Titanium headers will "glow" more than stainless but still this should only really be visible at night.
Is there anything obstructing the flow of exhaust gases throughout the entire system.
If you running NOS, your Throttle Switch not stuck in the open position.
You not running any funny mixes in your fuel, ie Methanol or Toluene.
Ignition might also be off, not sure if pinking will do that though.
Give the complete carb a good clean and once over

Is the motor really noisy loud clicking or ticking if so you might also want to check the oil gallaries, fillters and pump as terserjr said the motor is hot and the oil also helps cool the motor down to

Maybe your motor thinks its a turbine engine and its on permanent afterburner

Did you or has the cam mod been done on this bike? If the cam was turned the wrong way, the motor will still run but that might be allowing the gases to leave the combustion chamber alittle earlier than they should and the mixture is still burning when it hits your header.

I doubt it, but it might actually be running rich, your problem with the initial stages of opening the throttle might be floading the engine?? thats a tall one though

You don't have a turbo tucked way back there "out of pic" by any chance either

·
Registered
13 Posts
on my bike i am running a 146 main, 44 pilot. ive done a plug check it the plug looks awsome. it runs great with no detonation in the engine but my pipe glows just as brught if not brighter than this one. any suggestions why this is?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts