YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much the kickstart kit will cost? I was thinking about it today and I think it is worth it. You lose weight and you can get rid of stuff that will probably just cause you problems in the long run, ie. starter, battery, wiring, etc. The lights are not hooked up to it so no worry there and you shave 20 lbs. Anyone plan on getting it when its available? If it is not too expensive I do.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I may get it, we'll see...... I have to see how much of an improvement it would be over electric in handling, and on the track, otherwise it's way to nice to press a button and go.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
im a bit skeptical about the kickstarter on a high compression four stroke engine. i dont think it will be very easy to start the quad with a single, or even series of kicks. maybe im wrong, maybe not. i hope i am. we could all save at least 20-25lbs by doing away with the battery and stuff. :eek: :eek: 330lbs dry!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I don't care anything about getting the kick start but I would like to have or know what they do to relocate the rear brake resevoir cause its not in a very good location now.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
not sure if you can see this, but the kickstarter looks short enough that the rear brake resevoir doesn't need moved. :?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I too have been tossing around whether or not to get the kicker. I think in the end it will depend on the complexity of removing the electric and the cost of the conversion. I know a few times on my girls Z when I am glad that the electric start was there otherwise I would kicked myself senseless.
Isaac

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Yeah.....They said the kickstarter kit even comes with template so you can cut your rear fender just right to make everything fit, with out hacking it apart.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
not sure if you can see this, but the kickstarter looks short enough that the rear brake resevoir doesn't need moved. :?

Its reloacted under the exhaust in that first pic. factory location is on the fender support that is moved when you trim the fender.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Im going to go out on a limb and say that the conversion will be somewhat pricey. The reason is, you also have to replace the sidecase on the flywheel side if you remove the starter (which, obviously you are going to).
And it will probally have a different flywheel to go along with it, to fit under the new sidecase.

·
Registered
625 Posts
from the looks of it couldnt they just sell a chicken S plate to block off the starter hole? I would say 100 bucks for the kicker plus the gears and stuff so I am guessing about 300 dollars. If I am right that is about 100 bucks per 10lbs you save. Worth it maybe.
Isaac

·
Registered
194 Posts
I supose they could make a block off plate, but it would look like crap. I say, if your going to do it, do it right and change the cover.
Plus, you will save another pound or 2 with a smaller cover and no half ass block off plate.

It will aslo make jetting changes alot easier!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
625 Posts
HEY DAMNIT QUITE TALKING ABOUT KICKSTARTS AND GET GOING ON MY STEP BY STEP THINGIE!!!!!!!!!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol hahahhahahahahahhaa just kidding. It has been a long day here at work so I am getting a little stir crazy......
If I were to do the conversion I would like to be able to remove the entire cover so it looks right but I dont really know until they release theirs. The other thing is I remember some time ago I found a guy that was selling a little gearbox so the thumpers could be kicked forward like an R. I need to go find his number.
Isaac

P.S. just to make sure you know I was kidding Paul....... :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
talking about these things being hard to kick... they are nothing like a yz400 or 426. The wr450 bike has an electric starter and kicker backup, and the kicker is very easy to start the bike with. It's due to the fact they redesigned the auto decompression i believe.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My bike may only be a 250F, but it usually starts up on the first kick when it's cold. Just turn on the choke, and twist the throttle twice, and it comes to life very easily. It's harder to start it when it's hot, but it's not bad. Sometimes, it takes ten kicks when it's hot, sometimes it takes one. :roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the kickstart well be worth it for the yfz. I mean you'll be able to eliminate most of the electrical stuff which means less of a chance of having something electrical go wrong. Plus you'll be dropping quite a bit of weight with the kickstart kit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does anybody know the part number for this? I want to order one immediately.

·
Registered
85 Posts
No pics yet, but it will look like Kory's. I ordered the chrome LSR arms, chrome stem, and axle; PEP ZPS shocks; ITP MX's and wheels; nerfs, bumpers, ect; custom seat cover; custom graphics; cut fenders; Trinity pipe and motor work; and a bunch of little stuff. It will be done in a few weeks. The Suzuki is for sale now for $10,000.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts