YFZ Central banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has twist throttles on their YFZs??? I want to ditch the stiff thumb throttle for a twist, but I would like to stick with a YZ450 OEM twist throttle instead of the Motion Pro. Has anyone used the YZF's? If so, what parts do you need. If you have a motion pro, which model, and how do you like it??

Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
why do you want to stick to oem any reason? The stock yzf is a push pull and you will have to do mods to the carb to get it in and I don't think that it would be easy to do at all. I think if you like the yz throttle just buy the motion pro cr which is practically the same as the yz throttles because it is modeled off the cr bikes. It is a slower turn than the vortex and is easier to roll on the throttle not to mention that it is cheaper than converting to stock yz. Does anyone even know what you need to convert the stock carb to a push, pull throttle I think it would be pretty expensive unless you know a guy at the dealer :blah

·
Registered
27 Posts
motion pro throttles suck! the conversion to yz450 throttle is easy but noit cheap the parts you need total about 120$, but it work sbetter than any aftermatket you will ever find you will have to drill one hole in the carb for the second cable. it is easy the carb was made for the push pull just the hole wasn't drilled in it the parts you need are everything on the throttle and the cable assembly if you go to yamaha website you can get the microfiche of the throttle and cable assembly and part numbers from there. good luck, don't buy a motion pro

·
Registered
97 Posts
ok, is that your opinion or can you back up the claim that motion pro sucks with any facts or info. I have all motion pros and never had any problems. I agree that the OEM is really good but I got my twist for 44 dollars and bought it right off the shelf with no wait. cables are good quality and throttle assembly has never clogged or gotten sand or dirt in it. well if you had a bad experience I would like to hear about it so I can Know what to expect.

lOL the only thing that has happened is my dad broke a throttle tube because he gripped a handfull and cracked it. My dad is a mechanic and had really strong hands from working on heavy equip all day. :evilgrin

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
If your interested in a twist, I have mine (used once) that I will sell for $30 plus shipping. Cost $46 plus shipping at Alba Yamaha. It is the CR PRO model and has a 70 degree twist from idle to WOT on the YFZ. Orginal box and all instructions included... PM me if your interested. Install is a snap and I will be glad to walk you through any install difficulties.

I not selling it because I don't like twist throttles. It is because Motion Pro has offered to build me a custom twist with exactly the amout of rotation I want. I am going with a 55 degree one of kind twist for my YFZ.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Well I have the Motion Pro Vortex 45degree turn on my YFZ and I love it.

I can roll on the power when I an duning and it is real easy to go from 0 to WOT with the short throw.

Also with the shorter throw of the Vortex over the CR it does not wear you out as bad.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does anyone have part numbers for the twist throttles? Does anyone not like the twist throttle after putting it on?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
IMO - i wouldnt get one unless you do nothing but flat-tracking or drag racing. they suck in motocross and cross country for sure... :re

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by bunkerking217@Oct 9 2003, 03:16 AM
IMO - i wouldnt get one unless you do nothing but flat-tracking or drag racing. they suck in motocross and cross country for sure... :re
not if uve ridden a d-bike all ur life or put them on all ur quadsand ur used to it more and ur thumb will feel like its bout to fall off after a lap

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
heres my take on the twist..

I've rode moto X all my life and this is the first quad I've ever rode. The thumb throttle isn't bad if your only doing 20 or 30 minute motos.. however if you run 3 or 4 hours of hard woods riding.. you'll want to take that thumber and throw it as far as you can.. I found my thumb would just about go numb after 4 hours of hard riding.. also I found that with any type of partial throttle (1/4 throttle) with the thumber induced a poor grip situation..

I went to the Motion Pro CR PRO which is a 70 degree twist on the YFZ.. less than a 1/4 turn. I like it. The first 1/2 hour of ride time was questionable.. but after a few hours, I started to like the twist much more.. The one negative I found however is that it was more difficult to pull the front end up over hazards during the acceleration phase due to the way you grip the twist.. The thumber offers better ability to do this.

I really think alot of it comes down to personal taste.. some may hate it.. others may like it.. no different than purchasing a different pair of handlebars, hand protectors, moto cross boots, helmet, goggles, ect... get what you prefer or just spend some money and purchase one..

I do think the motion pro products for the YFZ are quality items. Cable appears OEM.

The YZ Yamaha stock twist is very similar in turn rotation to the CR-PRO motion pro product from my checks at the Yamaha dealership.

If you want a cheap try.. I've got mine for sale at a reasonalbe price..

I want to have motion pro assemble a 55 degree product for me.. don't think I want to move to the 45 degree (1/8 turn). but you never know..

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ_53+Oct 9 2003, 03:29 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YFZ_53 @ Oct 9 2003, 03:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bunkerking217@Oct 9 2003, 03:16 AM
not if uve ridden a d-bike all ur life or put them on all ur quadsand ur used to it more and ur thumb will feel like its bout to fall off after a lap [/b][/quote]
well i did ride dirtbikes all my life til i got a quad. i like twist on bikes, and thumb throttle on quads. also, i had the motion pro on my quad, that might have been another reason to why i think they suck...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have the Motion Pro Vortec twist grip, and while everyone's entitled to their opinion, I like them. They are easy to install, not too expensive, and do the job. I preferred the Vortec over the CR Pro because it comes on faster, less work for your wrist to do, but also means you can get into trouble quicker if not careful. I prefer the twist cause I've road raced bikes for 15 years, and 3 years ago when I switched over to quads, it was simply a more natural feeling.

Bottom line is either way is good, just do what is best for your riding style. Anyone who tells you something is bad, is not someone you really want to take advice from - everything has it's pros and cons, weight them and make the best decision for you!!!

I'm getting off my soap box now.........thank you..........

·
Registered
625 Posts
here is something to think about. With a twist throttle you can ride for roughly twice as long as with a thumb throttle. You dont get nearly as tired. I run the YZ OEM throttle with just the single cable connected and it works great. Also do yourself a favor and dont buy those 1/4 turn vortex POS. You want to talk about a pain in the ass through the whoops. Get a normal CR-type throttle or OEM YZ throttle and be better off for it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got my Motion Pro CR Pro throttle kit for the YFZ450. However the instructions included were for a Blaster!!!!! anyone tell me how to install it, thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts