YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order some wheels for my 05 yfz450. I have narrowed it down to 4 options. Let me start off by saying i would really like to have beadlocks, but just flat out dont have the cash for them. I am lookinf for a good lokcing wheel, but durability is more important than looks alone. What wheels do you guys think i should go with? Anyone used any or someone that has any of these wheels that can chime in?

I will ride about 75% trail/open areas. Will be doing 25% mx track. Will be doing some jumping but nothing insane..
These are the choices.I will be buying 9x9 or 9x8 rears and 10x5 fronts on 22-11-9 rear and 21-7-10 fronts

1.DWT .190- These had come on the yfz when i bought it.They lips were beat up pretty bad so i decided to sell them. Had them on an 05 Preddy 500 and they seemed great.. Reviews on rockymountain are mixed..some say it is very durable, others say the dent easily..Dont really like the non rolled lip.

2.DWT Quad Rok- Reviews on rockymountain say it is very durable with only downside is that is is heavy..anyone know what gauge metal is used on this wheel?

3. ITP T-9 pro series- Kind of steering away from these because rockymountain reviews say it does not hold up at all..

4.ITP T-9 Grand Prix-The Rolled lip seems like it would hold up better than the regular T-9. Most reviews on rockymountain say it hold up better too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the ITP T-9 GP front wheels for almost 2 years now and they have held up great, even the black powder coat has held up well. I believe the QuadRoks are a cast metal of some sort.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
If you're getting a non bead lock aluminum wheel I wouldn't recommend anything without a rolled lip, unless all you're doing is duning.

Non rolled lip wheels will fold like a pair of pants under an iron when oput under more demanding conditions other then sand.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
QUOTE (CADWELL @ Feb 12 2009, 02:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745792
If you're getting a non bead lock aluminum wheel I wouldn't recommend anything without a rolled lip, unless all you're doing is duning.

Non rolled lip wheels will fold like a pair of pants under an iron when oput under more demanding conditions other then sand.[/b]
Yup what CADWELL said, and I cant wait till you finally buy some rims so you stop making these ridiculous posts.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
Let me type you soething you might not want to read, have you even considered that you might want beadlocks or HiPers at some point?

If so...save your money man and work towards that goal. Even if you buy used. Spending money twice on the same mod REALLY sucks especially in the tire and wheel dept. Say you buy a pair of non rolled lip wheels and you go out and bottom them out on a rock or tree root and they fold.....then what? I'm just saying...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
QUOTE (CADWELL @ Feb 12 2009, 04:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745800
Let me type you soething you might not want to read, have you even considered that you might want beadlocks or HiPers at some point?

If so...save your money man and work towards that goal. Even if you buy used. Spending money twice on the same mod REALLY sucks especially in the tire and wheel dept. Say you buy a pair of non rolled lip wheels and you go out and bottom them out on a rock or tree root and they fold.....then what? I'm just saying...[/b]
exactly. if you can save your money for a little longer and just spend the money once and you will be happy with the results in the end. that should really be considered before you spend your money.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (CADWELL @ Feb 12 2009, 03:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745800

If so...save your money man and work towards that goal. Even if you buy used. Spending money twice on the same mod REALLY sucks especially in the tire and wheel dept. Say you buy a pair of non rolled lip wheels and you go out and bottom them out on a rock or tree root and they fold.....then what? I'm just saying...[/b]

I dont mind reading that at all. It is the truth. I have alot of things to pay for. Rent, college tuition, books, and right now i am putting every extra dollar i have to pay off my car so i can finally get a truck.

Like i said in the op, i would love to get some hipers or some type of beadlock wheel. I just dont think i can justify 700 or more for some wheels and tires. It seems like hipers are purpose built for extreme race conditions. I know they are a great wheel, just unsure that i really need something like that.

I did not know the wheels i posted were that bad. Thats why i posted.. Now i have popular opinion telling me i should stay away from what i am looking at.. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
put your money into something more useful, unless you really need wheels, i wouldnt be lookin but thats JMO

·
Registered
606 Posts
The first things you wanna think about when choosing a wheel are durability, size, and weight. Less rotating mass = more speed, Durable wheel - you can case a table and still have a ROUND rim. Size, well that always figures into the weight class.

My choice - NONE OF THE ABOVE....Watch for a set of used HiPer's to buy, If you need new rings for better color, they are fairly inexpensive. Your Best bet is an 8" wheel, With either a single beadlock, or a rolled edge. but hitting a berm a little to fast without beadlocks and its game over...

EDIT: Let the kid make his posts...he's just trying to get some real opinions...If it were me i'd rather ask 7 times than ask once and buy the w00terty stuff....

My two cents
Jon

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (RND 660 @ Feb 12 2009, 09:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745989
The first things you wanna think about when choosing a wheel are durability, size, and weight. Less rotating mass = more speed, Durable wheel - you can case a table and still have a ROUND rim. Size, well that always figures into the weight class.

My choice - NONE OF THE ABOVE....Watch for a set of used HiPer's to buy, If you need new rings for better color, they are fairly inexpensive. Your Best bet is an 8" wheel, With either a single beadlock, or a rolled edge. but hitting a berm a little to fast without beadlocks and its game over...

EDIT: Let the kid make his posts...he's just trying to get some real opinions...If it were me i'd rather ask 7 times than ask once and buy the w00terty stuff....

My two cents
Jon[/b]

wow. thanks.. glad someone can understand.. money is tight..i dont have much experience with atv products so i want to ask to make sure i am going to make the right buy.Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
63 Posts
QUOTE (Oregon450Duner @ Feb 12 2009, 02:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745796
Yup what CADWELL said, and I cant wait till you finally buy some rims so you stop making these ridiculous posts.[/b]
Lmao i guess someones makin you read these post?

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
QUOTE (Bretz56 @ Feb 13 2009, 07:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746059
Buy stockers and save for Hipers. :clap:[/b]
Actually Donovan, Bretz has made a good point here IMO.

The stockers that come on the YFZ are a good wheel as they have a rolled lip already. Maybe you could find a nice inexpensive set.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are the stock fronts lighter than the itp baja? i have those on the front now b/c i was doing some desert races, but now im going to be riding mx. Should i just stick to the stokers on the front?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts