YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok got everything back together went and rode last sun. When praticing starts my son was starting in 2nd gear and having to shift to 3rd as soon as he gets going, so he tried starting in 3rd and it started great and pulled hard. We had the head ported during rebuild, but that is the only thing we did different. Still has the stock gearing. Just wondering is it good to start in 3rd or change the gearing. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I take off in 3rd on my yfz in dirt that does not have good traction. I use 2 if I am on pavement or dirt that hooks good and I have a 15 tooth front on my bike.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I race motocross and I use to start in 3rd but i kept getting blown off the line. I would catch up quick while everyone else was shifting but if your coming from behind people can't see you so they would tend to pinch me off. Now i start in second and i'm alot quicker off the line. starting in third was easier (less shifting so less chance of missing a gear) and probably faster to the first corner if you could get the pass while everyone else was shifting but i like being the first one outta the hole so i can get into position for the first corner. (i have 15 tooth)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We race mx to, last year he started in 2nd all the time. We are racing this weekend so we will try it and see what happens.
We are racing at Village Creek in FT Worth and they have a concrete starting line, so will practice on it sat.
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well come on up and race with us, V.Creek is a great track with a little bit of everything.

I think we are coming down to Highlands at the end of Feb to race.

This will be my sons first year in the A class

Do you race in the GCQRA

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I may if I can get all my stuff in order. Still a lil tired from last weeked at cycle ranch

Yes I race with the gcqra. Last weekend was my first race ever

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea we wanted to go to Cycle Ranch but could not find anybody to go with, I cant afford to make it down south alone.
But we got someone now.

If you make it up come give me a shout I will prob be parking in front of the starting line.
I will be in a F-250 with a silver V nose trailer white YFZ #6 I will be around Johnny Hales trailer.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
QUOTE (ratsracing6 @ Feb 12 2009, 01:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745748
Yea we wanted to go to Cycle Ranch but could not find anybody to go with, I cant afford to make it down south alone.
But we got someone now.

If you make it up come give me a shout I will prob be parking in front of the starting line.
I will be in a F-250 with a silver V nose trailer white YFZ #6 I will be around Johnny Hales trailer.[/b]
Johnny Hale did all my PCing on my bike aswell as the gusseting, hell of a nice guy for sure.

I run 15/38 on a well modded motor with MXR6 18's on the rear.

Here at my local track they have a concrete gate. I started both motos my last race in 2nd and due to poor positioning on the seat my grab bar was almost kissing the ground lol. But once I got here in control I pulled a couple of well built motors off the line.

The positionof your body and a clean gate will be the KEY to getting a strong start off concrete.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
too bad no one told me about the clean gate my first race.

I blame you for me not getting the holeshot chris lol.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
QUOTE (Stix1107 @ Feb 12 2009, 02:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745773
too bad no one told me about the clean gate my first race.

I blame you for me not getting the holeshot chris lol.[/b]
Go to ACE an buy a broom too...don't think that because other people leave their's at the gate that youj can simply use it lol...

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
lol yah I didnt even ask the other guys because they knew who built my motor haha. I pulled everyone by the second curve anyways haha.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea Johnny is cool.

My boy has allways started in 2nd there and gets a good jump out but seems like he is shifting before he is over the gate.
Position is the key, we are going to try some things sat during practice

1 - 20 of 20 Posts