YFZ Central banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
few weeks ago i think....... well people hav been buying filters for them i know that for sure

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah the Pro design K&N filter setup has been out a while... I've got one on my YFZ. My local performance shop (the people that know whats up, not the stealership) had them in stock. I'm sure its available at www.rockymountainatv.com and I know that Yamaha has them on their site for the YFZ in their performance accessories.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yo man...

Got aRon wood intake I will be installing in a few days. If you wait I got a Noss set up I'll sell you cheap.

Maxx

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I dont like K&N at all. IMO they let more dirt through. UM Air boxes come with one but I ordered mine without it and Im gonna find a good foam filter instead.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
in my 4 years of riding of about 10 diff quads(families...) we all use K&N and NEVER had a problem with dirt getting in. As long as your outerwear doesnt have a rip, you will hardly ever have to clean the filter! just the box and outerwear get dirty really. just my .02

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by bunkerking217@Dec 31 2003, 04:37 AM
in my 4 years of riding of about 10 diff quads(families...) we all use K&N and NEVER had a problem with dirt getting in. As long as your outerwear doesnt have a rip, you will hardly ever have to clean the filter! just the box and outerwear get dirty really. just my .02
:stupid ive went w/ K&N on everything i have ever owned and i havnt EVER had a problem.... they also flow more air than a foam filter

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Not startring a war, to each their own

I've seen oil analysis on diesel trucks with all kinds of air filters and the K&N let more dirt into the oil. Its just kinda hard for me to get past that in my head.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Tampa450@Dec 31 2003, 05:00 AM
Not startring a war, to each their own

I've seen oil analysis on diesel trucks with all kinds of air filters and the K&N let more dirt into the oil. Its just kinda hard for me to get past that in my head.
even tho i like K&N's ill back you up a little. My pawpaw bought one for his truck....got 16-17 mpg with the stocker and like 12-13 with the K&N - same speed, set on cruise, same distance....

but that is also a truck and not a quad...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
even tho i like K&N's ill back you up a little. My pawpaw bought one for his truck....got 16-17 mpg with the stocker and like 12-13 with the K&N - same speed, set on cruise, same distance....
I saw a dyno chart that showed a powerstroke with a K&N then the same truck with the stock motorcraft filter. It showed: 0 horsepower/torque gain and 0 Exhaust gas temp change. It surprised me to be honest.
That mixed with the dirty analysis....
just hard to get out of my head, and hard for me to believe any advertising nowadays..

but that is also a truck and not a quad...
True

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've heard a lot of people say that a good foam filter cleans the air much better, especially for dune riding. I always stick with the stock filters, but that is purely because I can't afford anything else. I would put a K&N on if they weren't so dang expensive.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
lets get a smaller foam filter to put inside the k&n!!! :lol lol that might not give it enough air tho....what you think?

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Originally posted by bunkerking217@Dec 31 2003, 07:43 AM
lets get a smaller foam filter to put inside the k&n!!! :lol lol that might not give it enough air tho....what you think?
tell ya wat....... u try it..... and if it works...... u can start designing them and get rich :lol :rock

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think most people make the mistake and see a K&N Filter as a system to improve performance/effeciency of their engine. See the the K&N as part of a system. K&N Can't really improve intake if you dont also let the engine exhale properly.
Just my .02

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ_53@Dec 31 2003, 07:46 AM
tell ya wat....... u try it..... and if it works...... u can start designing them and get rich :lol :rock
imma patent it. if i catch anyone using it, i sue ya hear me!? :evilgrin

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by seatec@Dec 31 2003, 12:25 PM
I think most people make the mistake and see a K&N Filter as a system to improve performance/effeciency of their engine. See the the K&N as part of a system. K&N Can't really improve intake if you dont also let the engine exhale properly.
Just my .02
exactly 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts