YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i rode for almost a solid 3 hrs today tryin to figure out wheelies (this isn't my first attempt either, i have spent many hrs tryin to figure it out). i can do them just not for more then 100-200 ft. what i want to be able to do is go for a long distance. i am finding that i can bring up the front end with out a problem , and hold it there for 15-45 seconds, but by then i feel like i'm movin way too fast, not scary fast, just can't control fast. i have tried startin in third, but that is totaly different grearing.

So, do i need to shift to third while up, or keep my weight back futher?

i can definatly feel the sweet spot :lol no sceriously, i can feel when i have the front up far enough and kind a level off the gas.
i think it is speed pullin the front down,
But ya, any pionter from a couple wheelie veterins out there would be greatly appreciated

Curt

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
shift in the air....... i could run about 50 on my Z doin a wheelie.... just find that point and it aint nuthin after that :rock :red

·
Registered
479 Posts
keep practicin!!! shift from 1st, to second, to third and so on, don't use the clutch
(just let go of the gas)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Same Here Curt.... I gave that up after I flipped backwards one too many times. Buddy told me, "Bob, The Harder you try... The Dumber you look" :wtf
Wheelies just ain't my strongest points... :bawl They're Cool, but I just can't get it in my A$$ to Lean back just a little bit further to find that elusive Sweet Spot :uhoh ...

Shift in the Air :what That's why I can't Wheelie... I got to JUMP First. :lol
J/K...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i talked to a couple of my buddies and i think we have i figureed , but i'll keep at her, one way or the other, i'll be doin a 1/2 mile wheelies
and i think it is more shifting to keep the ballance position!

Bansheebob, don't give up man! screw what you look like doin it, when you get it, it is so worth it.

but thanks guys

Curt

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Originally posted by BC_YFZ450@Jan 15 2004, 09:18 PM
Bansheebob, don't give up man! screw what you look like doin it...
Curt
This is more my Speed... :lol

Yeah, This is your one and only... :lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's not about the shifting, it's about finding the ballance point. Tha sand is a great place to learn, going over backwards isnt has bad. :lol

·
Registered
372 Posts
The only way to learn is go over backwards a bunch of times. My favorite is to ride wheelies as slow as possible. Just keep it in the sweet spot and dont be afraid of going over backward. Very thin line between the sweet spot and going on your as*.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i was thinking of getting one of those pmr back bumpers.. will they keep you from goin over back wards?

i went over once but jumped back off while keeping my hands on the handle bars, then jumped back on...

·
Registered
983 Posts
The prm will help not going over all the way and is very sturdy. bad thing about being very sturdy is that you might hurt your subframe instead of the Grab bar

·
Registered
479 Posts
dam.... would you guys do it then? i mean, you don't think it would be good for doin 12's? like parking the bike almost vertical doin wheelies?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I once found a VERY good cure for doing wheelies. Landing on your back! My wife had to pick grass and dirt from this huge skinned place on my back for about 30 mins. The fun really began each day after my shirt would dry to the enourmous weeping scab on my back and I would have to get undressed. My jersey was tucked in and I had on a Thor Aftershock chest/back protector but the speed made it ride up! My name is MXCOP and I am a recovering wheelie-holic 8|

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just find the balance point in any gear and you can go as slow or fast as you want....the same principal applies on the quads and street bikes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, we had great weather today agian, so i was out there! i didn't get any more distance but i am bringin up the front end alot easier. and i know the ballance spot, i found it quite a few times to day, but i also fell off a half dozen times so i'm goin to put project wheelie in the garage till monday, just so i can heal up a bit! took a few good hits today!

thanks guy
Curt

C

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by BC_YFZ450@Jan 16 2004, 06:01 PM
well, we had great weather today agian, so i was out there! i didn't get any more distance but i am bringin up the front end alot easier. and i know the ballance spot, i found it quite a few times to day, but i also fell off a half dozen times so i'm goin to put project wheelie in the garage till monday, just so i can heal up a bit! took a few good hits today!

thanks guy
Curt
DO U USE THE REAR BRAKE!!!! :O

U SHOULD'NT RIDE UR GRABBAR THAT MUCH IF THATS HOW U FELL

·
Registered
73 Posts
pop it up in 5th its fun to drag people and bet them when your doing a wheelie and you dont need to shift :yfz

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an up date, i can now wheelie just fine, not as good as some of you but good by my standards. i haven't seen a banshee go as far as i am goin (they probably can, just i haven't seen it yet :lol ). i put a video on on imagestation, check it out

My Webpage

Bob, don't give up man, you can get it too

Curt

·
Registered
116 Posts
Exactly right about the balance point...whether you are in 2nd gear or 5th you will only wheelie as long as you can balance it. You should be able to go as long as you want at any speed. The guys that are not as balnaced will power through the wheelie and as soon as they run out of rpm or gear they drop. Practice in 2nd or 3rd gear on dirt or sand getting balanced so it doesn't hurt you or the quad if you go over.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The challenge with riding wheelies on the yfz is the gobs of torque and ponies it has. When I had my 400ex i could ride wheelies forever. The yfz just takes getting used too.
To start your wheelie, pull in the clutch, shift into first or second, rev it up to around 3/4 throttle, sit back, and pop the clutch. Once you start getting close to the balance point, you can use your arms to slightly push or pull the front end to the right spot, as well as using the clutch and the throttle. And just tap the back brakes if you feel like your going over.
Once you can keep the quad at the balance point, you can theoretically wheelie forever.
Hope this helps! 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts