YFZ Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
great site! i am thinking of a 450 yamaha or a raptor . i like the 450 alot but i have been reading theforums on the tranny problems. has yamaha doing anything about this ? or is this acam mod problem? i domostly trail riding in chatsworth ( new jersey off road park) but the raptor has reverse. the450 is light enough to get off and push out of a tight spot? how is the yfz on tight wooded trails? :what :lol

·
Registered
631 Posts
the yfz handles excellent on the trails. as for the tranny probs i haven't had any yet. someone said there was a burr on the shifting drum the aused them to stick.

andy

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wow, you ride at chatsworth? Me and my friends were going to get a membership. I heard they have like 3,000+ acres. Also where in NJ are you located Im in southern part, gloucester county. Also, i pulled my yfz out of a really tight spot in the snow and mud... had fun with that one, so its not bad at all.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Tranny problems? Not with either one of mine. Kinda funny to watch one or two folks say something then watch that same something turn into a problem. The 01 raptor is the machine w/ the tranny issue.

Remember, we're talking quads here. The machines built for the masses, The machines built with electric starting systems because their riders have never kickstarted anything in their lives. Seems reasonable that these same folks when confronted w/ something they've never experienced before call it a problem.

Educate yourself rather than taking some internet hero's word that a problems exists. I'm not trying to be mean, just sorta tired of seeing these things build into a problem.

Tranny problem. :re

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ihave a 01 shee with fmf pipes ,vforce ,coolhead, my membership ran out in oct. and i will be renewing it soon. i live in horsham pa. i am going to take a ride down there to see how the 450 runs and find out more on the bike. :O

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm in rockland County NY. Where is Chatsworth and is it open all year? :yfz

·
Registered
102 Posts
Originally posted by selector@Dec 17 2003, 09:53 PM
Tranny problems? Not with either one of mine. Kinda funny to watch one or two folks say something then watch that same something turn into a problem. The 01 raptor is the machine w/ the tranny issue.

Remember, we're talking quads here. The machines built for the masses, The machines built with electric starting systems because their riders have never kickstarted anything in their lives. Seems reasonable that these same folks when confronted w/ something they've never experienced before call it a problem.

Educate yourself rather than taking some internet hero's word that a problems exists. I'm not trying to be mean, just sorta tired of seeing these things build into a problem.

Tranny problem. :re
I do not think the YFZ has a serious tranny issue but to say one never existed is a bit of a misstatement. The fact is that there was a run of shift drums that were not machined correctly by Yamaha's supplier and it led to a problem of misshifting or hanging between shifts. Yamaha admitted to such a problem on a limited number of bikes and replaced the drum free-of-charge. In fact, Bluetraxx had a sticky thread in their YFZ forum where people were listing their serial numbers if they had problems. I wouldn't call it a huge problem but there were probably 8-10 on BT that stated they had this problem and to Yamaha's credit they fixed all of them from what I remember reading.

·
Registered
212 Posts
yamaha warentied my bike took the shift drum out and polished it removing the bur....so yes this was a small issue and I guess since yamaha paid for it not me that it was a REAL issue not sominthin I just made up

AND BTW I have had a kick start bike for years .....and I dont see wear the kicker has and thing at all to do with how it shifts.....

what a un educated statement statement :lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
I lost the holeshot this weekend because mine would not shift into fourthgear. This was the first time.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I believe the tranny issues have been resolved for the most part. I have not, nor has anyone I know with a YFZ had any issues, including the battery issues I've heard some talk about. I wouldn't let that stop me from buying one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Some of the very early Raptors had tranny problems.

As did the Honda 300EX.

The difference was Honda warrantied the problem, Yamaha did not.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by Guy400@Dec 18 2003, 06:03 AM
I do not think the YFZ has a serious tranny issue but to say one never existed is a bit of a misstatement.
Never said there wasn't an issue of sorts, but to call a "burr" on a limited number of machines a "problem" is the misstatement.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I guess your definition of a problem and my definition of a problem is different but that's OK. To me, when a quad doesn't shift gears there's a problem. Also, when the manufacturer recognizes a defect in a vital, internal engine component I'd call it a problem. I AM NOT saying this problem remains, was a wide-spread problem or should deter anyone from buying a YFZ now. My only point was that there was, indeed, a problem with the shift drum on an unspecified number of units but that number was small.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by Guy400@Dec 19 2003, 09:58 PM
I guess your definition of a problem and my definition of a problem is different but that's OK. To me, when a quad doesn't shift gears there's a problem. Also, when the manufacturer recognizes a defect in a vital, internal engine component I'd call it a problem. I AM NOT saying this problem remains, was a wide-spread problem or should deter anyone from buying a YFZ now. My only point was that there was, indeed, a problem with the shift drum on an unspecified number of units but that number was small.
Ok... you win :re

:zzz

C

·
0 Posts
No tranny problems
one therse no blur two the gears dont stick and i think youve been talkin to to many ******** lol

KNOCK ON WOOD

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been to chatsworth before, as well as hatfield mccoy, rausch creek, and was a guest at tower city last year. still havn't gotten to paragon park yet. can anyone tell me how paragon is?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts