YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whos had battery problems are what are you doing to fix it i don't want to remove it because i race XC. are you adding and other voltage regulator or does somebody make and aftermarket one?

·
Registered
631 Posts
i bought a better battery haven't had any probs yet but haven't rode it that much since

andy

·
Registered
19 Posts
I heard that a CBR600 battery is better, it can handle 10 amps, where the stock YFZ battery is only 4 amps

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Originally posted by schwendi+Jan 8 2004, 05:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (schwendi @ Jan 8 2004, 05:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--CTYfzrider@Jan 8 2004, 03:14 PM
my stock battery works fine? :what
:stupid [/b][/quote]
:stupid

Same here. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe the battery problems only occured on earlier batches. I think I read it in dirt wheels or something. I think I bought mine in November, have gone riding every weekend since and even left the key in the on position a couples times sometimes for as long as two hours and have no problems. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
313 Posts
when i went to pick my bike up last friday i went to load it up after giving them my money and the bike wouldnt start. the battery was dead. so we pushed it around back to charge it up and charged it for like 15 minutes and it still wouldnt start. charged it for like 5 more minutes and it finally started but died and tried to restart again but it was still dead. so i was getting pretty pissed at this point right, and i said do you guys have any of these batteries in stock? and they said no and then they asked me if i had a battery charger at home and i said yeh and they said it probably just needs charged for a little while and i said yeh maybe but im not taking a bike home that i just paid $6000 for that wont start. i said how about taking the battery off of the bike on your show room floor. so they did and it fired right up. the battery needs at least 12.6 volts and the one on my bike only had 11.6. so i have not had any problems with it since. i was not going to bring a new bike home with battery problems thats for sure. :red

·
Registered
256 Posts
The problem seems to be overcharging while riding and this kills the battery's capacity to maintain a charge.

To alleviate this problem, ride with your lights on. It will equalize the charge/discharge of the battery and make it last much longer.

If it is already to0 late, get a 7+amp battery from a motorcycle or waverunner.

take care!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Originally posted by boothyfz@Jan 2 2004, 06:59 PM
whos had battery problems are what are you doing to fix it i don't want to remove it because i race XC. are you adding and other voltage regulator or does somebody make and aftermarket one?
WHAT battery problems???? :wtf

·
Registered
519 Posts
AlaskaYFZ .... Can you make a list of the mods you have done to your bike . I just bought a white YFZ450 and your is SICK . How do you like the exhaust you got ?? and what kind of Bars do you have on there? Thanks for any info .... your bike is sweeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I got bike number 000584 ( i think ) and the battery aint holding its charge . had enough power to crank it over once then it died . My dealer is gunna get an ear full with this one tomorrow . Bike is only 2 days old and already the problems are starting ... oh boy !!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
yeh when i went to pic my bike up at the dealer it wouldnt even start for me to load it up. they ended up having to pull another battery off another yfz. they tried getting me to take it like that and asked me if i had a charger at home. i said hell no im not doing that, are you crazy. so they got me a battery. i havent had any problems with this one since. knock on wood :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
Mine started fine at the dealer ... got home and it wouldnt start , so I put it on a trickle charger liek they told me to do for about 12 hrs or so ... started fine yesturday , today It fired up once then it died and wouldnt restart . Problem if they grab the battery off the other bike is that they were both produced around the same time . I'm gunna ask for them to order a new battery from Yamaha . This is total BS ... I pay 10Gs Canadian for a bike and it wont start .

·
Registered
73 Posts
mine has had no problems but i have only had it a week :woo

·
Registered
20 Posts
I heard the battery in the yfz puts out like 14 volts and needs high rpm to properly charge the battery. Easy trail riding during the daytime without your lights on will drain the battery, as the rpms aren't generally high enough to excite the stator, and your cooling fan cycling on/off adds to the problem. :angry
The recommended fix is to properly charge your battery FULLY with the Optimate charger/tender BEFORE you ride it for the first time, and before every ride. Riding with your headlights on excites the electrical system to charge the battery at lower rpm's. An Optimate charger retails for about 45 bucks at your local Yami dealer :rock

·
Registered
25 Posts
this the 3rd battery on mine :angry i found out after the 2nd battery that its a lettle power assy (located near the battery) thats draining the battery its number #16 on the parts catalog i changed that along with 7amp battery and its fine so far

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm gunnabe bringing my second Battery back cuz it keeps dieing on me . Explain a little more about this part that is draining the battery??? I'm still covered under warantee ... so who know's what theyre gunna do . Ive been told the battery out of a GSX-r750 ( YT12A-BS) will work with a little bit of modifications . I think it'll be my next thing .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always ride with my lights on, even during daytime rides, and I have never had battery problems. When the lights are left on the battery is constantly on charge.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts