YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a good quad for a novice rider 10 years old?
any advice would be helpful
some quads better than others in the dunes ?
how much is too much to pay
why is there no used ones for good prices
thanks

·
Registered
983 Posts
i think its the worst time to buy used quad. this is THE season opposed to Bikes which can be had cheap right now. My Quad dealer has a pathetic assortment of quads . he says hes cant drag them in fast enough.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i am not too fond of the raptor 80cc series. not put together well, no lights. I think suzuki makes a decent one and was looking to build a downsize model of the z. there is also the polaris model which isn't bad and a company makes a hop up kit for it pushing it to almost 27hp once he's ready to step up to the HP.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you want to go with a 90 quad go with the kasea skyhawk or similar quads. If not the blaster and the 300ex or either of the 250 four strokes(not kaseas its a pos) would be good starter quads. I personally started on a blaster when I was about 10 or so :rock :lol

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I'd get a blaster of 300ex. Make sure it has a clutch so he can learn that early. Don't worry about the bike being to big. If your that worried, use the resrictor screw on the throttle. My brother is 14 and he has a 440ex. oh yeah he weighs 105 lbs too. It's funny to watch him get on my yfz. He beats drag banshees. His 440 actually keeps up with me pretty good.

Anyways, yeah I say Blaster, 300ex, or a Warrior. If he knows how to ride a bit already, I'd get a 400ex or z400.

G

·
Z250 ( my bro has it, most reliable thing on the planet starts easy in -25!) :D :rock

250EX :|

BLASTER IS A CONSTANT MAITENECE PROBLEM! :cry

GOOD LUCK!

o by the way raptor 80 suck! :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
honda 250ex is good if you arent looking for clutch etc. my brother was around 10 when he learned to ride it...12 now he wont ride it because he says its too slow~
crappy suspension on em though. but really reliable and not much to break really ~

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Originally posted by Clutch123@Jan 26 2004, 06:29 PM
Z250 ( my bro has it, most reliable thing on the planet starts easy in -25!) :D :rock

250EX :|

BLASTER IS A CONSTANT MAITENECE PROBLEM! :cry

GOOD LUCK!

o by the way raptor 80 suck! :(
:stupid

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i really appreciate all the help . i was leaning towards
raptor 80 ....... not now !! i,ve only needed one reason
to get him into a bigger bike that won,t be grown out of
so soon i,m now thinking z250 thanks, clutch

besides he has a banshee waiting for him to ride when he is ready seeing how his mom only rides it long enough to foul the plugs :lol :lol

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
300EX IMO........ cant beat the reliability and it handles great....... cant beat that for a new-comer :rock

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay... i,m buying a quad for my son right away (taxtime).
is anybody selling ?????

sorry pahrump i know its the wrong place to post
any place in nevada i oughta try???
:yfz

G

·
Originally posted by BCBUD@Jan 26 2004, 08:46 PM
i really appreciate all the help . i was leaning towards
raptor 80 ....... not now !! i,ve only needed one reason
to get him into a bigger bike that won,t be grown out of
so soon i,m now thinking z250 thanks, clutch

besides he has a banshee waiting for him to ride when he is ready seeing how his mom only rides it long enough to foul the plugs :lol :lol
:rock ;)

You wont regret the Z250
after 100 hour there were no probs. but we decided to take it in to get the valves checked and changed(free with purchase), the valves were all to spec! and everything was runnin great, ohh by the way he does really kinda beat on it. :lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
My kids rode Honda 250ex's.
Auto clutch, reverse, nice ride and handeling,,, they really hold their value.

Many dealers here in Calif have them for $3200 OTD american dollars.

(LA HONDA)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
i rode clutchs bros Z250 and i was really surprised. it will pull long wheelies for a shaft driven quad.......u wont be dissapointed with it

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by BCBUD@Jan 26 2004, 09:02 PM
okay... i,m buying a quad for my son right away (taxtime).
is anybody selling ?????

I've got a brand new (purchased 3 months ago) yellow '03 Honda 250EX that I'm getting ready to sell. Got it for my wife who rode it like twice who then decided she doesn't like shifting. Anyways I paid $3400 at LA Honda, so I'm looking to get at least $3000 for it. I'm in the San Bernardino, CA area so it's only about 300 miles west on the I-10. PM if you're interested.

- Scott

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by kramertech+Jan 27 2004, 11:43 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kramertech @ Jan 27 2004, 11:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--BCBUD@Jan 26 2004, 09:02 PM
okay...  i,m buying a quad for my son right away (taxtime).
is anybody selling ?????

I've got a brand new (purchased 3 months ago) yellow '03 Honda 250EX that I'm getting ready to sell. Got it for my wife who rode it like twice who then decided she doesn't like shifting. Anyways I paid $3400 at LA Honda, so I'm looking to get at least $3000 for it. I'm in the San Bernardino, CA area so it's only about 300 miles west on the I-10. PM if you're interested.

- Scott [/b][/quote]
my budget is closer to 1500 - 2000
thanks anyway

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I think a blaster is the way to go I use to have an 88 and 91 model both i was pleased with if ya worried about it going to fast turn the screw back on the throttle that'll slow it down untill he grows old enoff to open it up . plus ya can get alot of after market parts for them later on.

·
Registered
552 Posts
i would buy a 10 yr old a Blaster or a 250EX, its because wen they grow out of a mini or something small, they would want a bigger 1. its like what happend to me, i had a TRX90 to a YFZ450... :) my friends wont belive i got 1 cuz wen i traded in my 90, it wuz onli 4 months old n i already moved to a YFZ450! :sonic :sup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts