YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If honda thinks that,that thing is gonna rival the yfz then they have better hang up the atv market cause they are loosing horribly.
1. less suspension travel
2.higher seat height.
3.same weight without external oil tank or automatic start? This still confuses me unless they made the sub-frame out of lead!
4. and can you say (UGLY). what is that a june bug on wheels? I thought that they would atleast make it look like a racer, somewhat aerodynamic. looks like a z-400 that hit a wall at top speed.
5. its bad that they are a true 450 that has to have a full hrc kit (that includes internal motor work) to just get up to the power that an uncorked yfz makes.

I cant wait to see these guys at the track so I can follow them later to their local yamaha dealer begging them to take their 450r in on trade for the yfz.

and the really bad thing is that ( I USED TO BE A HONDA GUY THROUGH AND THROUGH).

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ DEE@Dec 17 2003, 04:42 AM
and the really bad thing is that ( I USED TO BE A HONDA GUY THROUGH AND THROUGH).
i think thats 1/2 the people on theis board...

yami made the white/red yfz for us....still have some honda in our blood

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I still am one of those honda guys, VFR750 and XR650L, but think I might be changing in my old age.... :lol

I haven't had a chance to see one of the TRXs yet. Are there any good pics?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
:eek :wtf :what :uhoh

Why did they make it look like one of those Pug(sp) dogs with the snub nose and massive under bite??

I'm glad I got the YFZ!!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
More Pics....
HRC Power-Up Kit

This kit contains:
Camshaft
Spark Arrester
Airbox Cover
Intake Snorkel
Main Jet
Slow Jet
Needle Jet
MSRP: $319.95 :O

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Originally posted by YFZ DEE@Dec 16 2003, 11:42 PM
If honda thinks that,that thing is gonna rival the yfz then they have better hang up the atv market cause they are loosing horribly. 
            1. less suspension travel
            2.higher seat height.
            3.same weight without external oil tank or automatic start?  This still confuses me unless they made the sub-frame out of lead!
            4. and can you say (UGLY).  what is that a june bug on wheels?  I thought that they would atleast make it look like a racer, somewhat aerodynamic.    looks like a z-400 that hit a wall at top speed.
            5. its bad that they are a true 450 that has to have a full hrc kit (that includes internal motor work) to just get up to the power that an uncorked yfz makes.

I cant wait to see these guys at the track so I can follow them later to their local yamaha dealer begging them to take their 450r in on trade for the yfz.

If you think for one minute that the TRX won't be a contender than you're only fooling yourself. I personally think that the people that bash other brands the most are the ones most scared. Either the Honda guys are scared that it won't be as good as the YFZ so they bash Yamaha or the Yamaha guys are scared that the Honda will deliver the goods even though on paper it doesn't appear to so they bash the TRX. When in Honda's sport quad history have they not had a top notch quad? Never. I'll answer you point-by-point.

1. Since when does overall suspension travel translate to shock superiority? The stock shocks on the TRX are the ones that just won the Baja 1000. They were tuned by Showa engineers which proves, once again, that set-up is more important than numbers on paper.
2. Where are these seats measured from and does it really indicate overall handling? Suzuki claims their seat height on the Z400 is lower than a 400EX. Line up the two side by side in stock form and you'll see the Z400 sits noticeably higher. Honda could have used softer foam in the seat and when the rider sits he will actually be lower in the saddle than on a YFZ. Does that equate to better handling? No. Seat height measurements are not an industry standard so how/where each manufacturer measures is up to them.
3. If you believe manufactures weight numbers for one minute than you're living in a dream world. On a scale at a race track in Washington the YFZ was weighed dry (in the condition you'd buy it off the showroom floor) at 385lbs. Again, there's no industry standard for weight claims. Yamaha could have weighed their quad without the battery and electric start motor and posted those numbers. No law requires them to publish what condition the quad was in when weighed. You have to use a little common sense when looking through these numbers. I'm equally as skeptical of Honda's dry weight claim but I'll wait to weigh it to see for myself.
4. Looks is a matter of opinion. It has no impact on performance. A member of this board said he was out riding his YFZ at the dunes when he saw a guy riding a new TRX and said it was much better looking in person than the pics. As a former Cannondale owner that was the case for me. Pictures did it no justice until I went to see one in person.
5. I hope you're not bench-racing using cc's as your horsepower benchmark. Leave a YFZ absolutely stock and bore it for a true 450 cc's. You'll see no power gains (marginal gains at best). The only trick piece in the HRC kit is the cam. If you're going to tear down a YFZ to advance the cam timing than you've already done all the hard work. Replacing a cam is not that much more involved. Remember, the CRF is a single OHC motor. If you're amazed at the HRC price tag have you looked at the kickstart conversion for the YFZ?

I'm not a Honda guy, I'm not a Yamaha guy--I'm a "what do I feel like buying this year" guy. Look at my sig, I've just about owned them all. If I haven't owned them I've had seat time on them. Saying the TRX won't perform is about as ignorant as Honda guys saying the YFZ doesn't perform. Neither of these quads will make a slow rider any faster. If you're slow now you'll be slow on a YFZ/TRX.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I...

really think that the Honda is gonna be a nice quad. I like the looks, all but the front end. I think Honda has been doing this too long to not be able to bring a competitive product to the marketplace. We will know first hand here in a couple of weeks cause my good friend will have his within ten days or so according to the dealer, and he will have the stage one kit, so I will let you know how badly I blow his doors in a drag race, and I will have a chance to ride it around the track and the woods so I can get a good guage on it.

Maxx

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Why can't we stop this kiddie "mines better than yours" crap :nono

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by seatec@Dec 17 2003, 08:28 AM
whatever!
seatec, I was not pointing just you out, but lets end it before it gets out of hand cause some folks will not know where to stop.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Guy400, if you think a YFZ450 weighs 385 lbs dry you need to get a scale and stop speculating. It's a TON lighter than a Z400. I owned one and htere was just no comparision between lifting the front or back of the two machines.
There's a guy on Bluetraxx that weighed a YFZ at under 360 lbs with half a tank of fuel. Of course the radiator and oil (about 5 lbs) were also added.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That 385lbs. was on a scale and was not speculation. I stated, it was on a scale at a race in Washington. This information was provided by someone who owns a Banshee, Raptor, 250R and a 400EX. I cannot speak of the complete accuracy of the scale but I'd find it hard to believe that it was off by 20-30 pounds.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Was the quad bone stock? was i dirty? I recall some other thread where a dealer had weighed the quad straight from the crate and said that it indeed weighed 350 with no fluids. Am not sure though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts