YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between ac and dg. What does everyone have, and are you happy with it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
My personal opinion would make me choose the AC because I like the build quality and the price is almost always better than DG. check out magicracing.com dg=74.99 and not that detailed in design. AC=$69.95 much better looking design. you can find them cheaper if you look around. UM is also pretty good and if you are looking for plastic ones because you do alot of rock riding then the durablue skid is pretty good.
Why I say that is because aluminium will bend and dent even .190 but plastic absorbs more of a hit and it won't get stuck to your chain or rotor.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got the DG b/c the shop i buy parts from could get it in quicker. i paid $80 for it and the fit is fine. however the plastic chain guard doesnt line up straight.
should i take it off and line it or a new one up and reweld it? or should i just say F it and ride it?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
The first thing that will happen, regardless of the skid plate used, when you pop something like a rock is that the small bolts holding it on will either bend or break.

I've had this happend and this is the weak point in the rear swing arm skid unless you have some other mechanism hold it on.

If you have just the stock bolts as attachment points.. do yourself a favor and get some replacements with an easy out to remove the sheared bolt after a good size impact.

This is under the assumption that your swing arm skid is strong enough to not bend to pieces upon impact. I am sure most out there will not bend and then as I have mentioned the stock fasteners will shear or bend.

·
Registered
921 Posts
hay skids plates are like oil u should always change it their all junk, i gone through 4 of them so far , their pretty cheap really, :angry :yfz :yfz

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by yfzthumpa@Oct 7 2003, 05:42 AM
hay skids plates are like oil u should always change it their all junk, i gone through 4 of them so far , their pretty cheap really, :angry :yfz :yfz
undefined
do you just bash the shi* outa your skids? or are you a drug dealer with nothing better to spend his money on?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by yfzthumpa@Oct 7 2003, 05:42 AM
hay skids plates are like oil u should always change it their all junk, i gone through 4 of them so far , their pretty cheap really,  :angry  :yfz  :yfz
if your breaking the swing arm skid before you shear the mounting bolts off after hitting something you truely have a piece of [email protected]$!

I find that very hard to believe knowing how small the skid bolts are and how easily they break.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fast1,
i gotta say bs on this yfzthumpa...
the yfz has only been available for a few months, and he says he's gone through 4.....bs :stupid

·
Registered
397 Posts
I got the AC Fits nice, Looks nice but I put a hole about the size of a dime straight through on the first rock I hit. I didn't bend or break the bolts that I can see.
It really depends on the shape and size of the rock and of course how bad your luck is.Now I have a nice drain hole for water. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Badger Racing Products sells a very nice Stainless Steel skidplate for the YFZ450, Chad Duvall has been running it since he switched from the Honda and has very good results. Their belly pans are stainless as well.

Stainless is the way to go if doing any woods riding, they hold up very well.

The problem with the factory bolts is that they are bolting on a piece a plastic and when the plastic bends the bolts do not and they end up getting sheared off. I believe that the hardness of the bolts could have something to do with it as well.

Drop me an email and I'll get you in contact of who to talk to.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by Badger_Skid@Oct 16 2003, 03:53 AM
Badger Racing Products sells a very nice Stainless Steel skidplate for the YFZ450, Chad Duvall has been running it since he switched from the Honda and has very good results. Their belly pans are stainless as well.

Stainless is the way to go if doing any woods riding, they hold up very well.

The problem with the factory bolts is that they are bolting on a piece a plastic and when the plastic bends the bolts do not and they end up getting sheared off. I believe that the hardness of the bolts could have something to do with it as well.

Drop me an email and I'll get you in contact of who to talk to.

[email protected]
I've got the GYT-R rear swing skids and after nailing a large rock it put enough stress on the stock bolts to shear one and bend the other..

Also, those skid bolts are now on back-order from Yamaha. I've got my dealers showroom YFZ skid plate bolts.

Although the bolts apear to be the weakest link in my GYTR skid plate, it is a cheap price to pay in avoiding a the cost of a new chain/rear sproket.

The bolts do appear to be rather soft and could be engineered to bend or shear?/? not sure..

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have the gytr skid as well. I used the stock bolts, one sheared on the plastic skid! and I had to order some new bolts...In the mean time, I went to boater's world and got stainless bolts in the same size and put them in.

I will be buying an armidillo skid for the swingarm.

anyone want to buy a like new gytr skid for $60, shipped?(lower 48 usa only)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have the PRM and besides the stock mounting bolt points, it has another reinforcing mount near the rear shock. Quality and fit were great on mine.........JIM

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had bad luck with my GYTR setup. With it being 2 piece, it puts a real load on the bolts. After replacing stock bolts on both sides, I went with hardened bolts (longer with lock nuts on the other side) and brass bushings to make the shoulder. NOT impressed with the GYTR skids :re

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found out that se7en racing is coming out with a new skid plate that covers the hole swingarm including the shock I am not sure of the price put I think it is around $100.00

·
Registered
151 Posts
tried AC. didn't last. PRM is one tuff skid. full season of xc racing (4gncc's and 12wnyoa races) on my raptor. and that is what i'll be buying for my yfz. gytr's 2 piece design looks weak. jmo. plus the prm covers the linkage area.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
the weak point on the YFZ rear skids are going to be the stock 4 mounting bolts.. they break and bend like there is no tomorrow.. I've snapped mine off 3 times now..

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
ive always heard PRM and Pro Armor to be the best... but never used either one so not sure

1 - 20 of 41 Posts