YFZ Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not to the YFZ and don’t like the throttle much, I’m thinking of swapping it to something else and have heard a wide variety of recommendations. What do you guys use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you try changing the angle at all? Trx 90 throttle has always been a popular replacement

Yea, I’ve also read pulling out the spring eliminates the push back, and makes it more comfortable but not sure if that would put too much work on the spring in the throttle body.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I’m not to the YFZ and don’t like the throttle much, I’m thinking of swapping it to something else and have heard a wide variety of recommendations. What do you guys use?

300ex or 400ex throttle assembly works great. Great improvement for $15-$25 over the stock non ergonomic Yamaha one. Same one I use on my YFZ and banshee.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
I tried a Honda throttle and it worked great but wasn't exactly how I wanted it. Most of the Honda throttles are identical but the 90 has a longer lever for the kids.

I ended up with a Suzuki throttle and like it a tad better than the Honda. However, if you want to try either a regular Honda or the Honda 90 throttle let me know. I have one of each so I can sell one.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
So from a honda 90 the whole assembly or just the thumb lever?

·
Registered
809 Posts
You can’t run just the lever.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
remove the spring for the lever and change the throttle body spring. You can get one from BNR: https://bnr-motorsports.myshopify.com/collections/yfz450r-x/products/yfzr-softer-throttle-body-spring

I did it for XC racing and it made a world of difference. No more thumb fatigue.

I actually got the b&r spring and a Honda throttle was going to check both out and see which one I liked more. Question is when replacing the throttle body spring were you able to get to it without removing the throttle body completely. I tried last weekend and couldn’t even get any type of Allen inside the frame. Didn’t have that much time so I shelved it for a time when I did, but curious if I was missing an easier way.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was able to get it all apart without removing the throttle body but you need to remove the header to get in there easier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did this mod today guys and wow what a difference. I got the BnR spring linked above and also unhooked the spring up in the throttle lever. I decided to just keep the factory Yamaha throttle because I never had issue with the ergonomics of it, it was just mostly the high tension that bothered me. Now with so much less tension, I’m glad I kept the Yamaha throttle.

Here are some pics.

As you can see I had to remove the pipe and slip on header pipe. I was able to keep the first section of header pipe installed.

This is after I got the new spring in. I didn’t take any pics of the spring area when I had it all apart. It wasn’t the easiest thing to do but after watching some YT videos on the trick to get the spring in I was able to do it. I put a tiny bit of red loctite on the nut before I buttoned it back up.

This is the OEM spring. The BnR one was a little shorter and had less winding tension.

This is the thumb throttle. Don’t mind the random blob of grease from the factory. You can see I didn’t remove the spring completely. I just unhooked it from the cable guide and let it snap shut free against the inside body of the throttle. I did this on purpose. If I feel like I want to connect it back on, it would only take minutes to take the throttle top cover off and reconnect it. I doubt I will through. These two changes together are perfect. The throttle cable returns to idle without any problems at all but yet it’s WAY lighter to push and hold now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts