YFZ Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to order my sand tires.(mostly glamis riding).and am not positive on what to get??? :roll: was thinking 21x12x8- 9 paddle haulers? and 21"mohawks up front.want to drag but also be able to make the long dune rides.i`m about 50/50 dune and drag(hill climbing).

·
Registered
625 Posts
me 2. I am trying to decide between the 21x12x8 10 paddle haulers and the more "utilitarian" 20x10x10 9 paddle haulers. I really enjoy dragging/hillshooting but also spend a fair amount of time down on the ocean jumping logs and sand drifts and I am worried about the balloons staying on those little 8" wheels.
Isaac

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I'm not sure about the power of the YFZ, and I hope I don't need paddles. I can say for sand dragging paddles help, but regular dune riding they are unnecessary. I can make it up any hill with out paddles, and I've beaten alot of paddled quads on a non-paddled quad. I do run paddles on my ATC 250R, but that is only because I get so much wheel spin, that it won't move well with out them. If the YFZ is the same as my ATC, then I will be forced to run them, and I will get 20X10X10, 8 cup haulers for the rear, with knobbies up front.

In the end paddle tires are over rated for regular bikes.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
What would you guys suggest for paddles for me? I am taking a trip to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in August. I do not want straght paddles because I will be doing more than just hill shooting. I would only use these paddles once or twice or year so which would be the best buy?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would you guys suggest for paddles for me? I am taking a trip to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in August. I do not want straght paddles because I will be doing more than just hill shooting. I would only use these paddles once or twice or year so which would be the best buy?
sand skate II`s on 10" rims. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was there a couple of months ago on my z with sandsharks and I will definately be getting haulers next year after I rode a bike with them. 20-10-10 8 paddle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're only going to use them once or twice a year, then why even get paddles?

If you really need to spend $150+...PM me...I could use it for meaningful upgrades :lol

during the months of oct.through april i almost live in the sand. i ride 99.9% 8) sand.the last quad i owned the factory knobbies were in excellent shape :) when i sold it.and it was almost 5 years old :eek: .

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Crazie and I also live in the sand Oct - April, but we run knobbies. We can go anywhere, and do anything that the same bike running paddles can do with us running knobbies. Paddles are way over rated for normal dune riding..........sure they help when sand dragging (a little) but it's more rider skill out there. Yes we go to the ISDRA alot, and I've been going for 23 years (since I was 6 mos old). We hardly ever go to glamis, cause we aren't into the big crowds of idiots, we like to ride when we go to the dunes. :| If you ever want to go on a kick a$$ ride with a bunch of paddleless quads then come on down......

The thing I'm hoping is that I can run the YFZ with out paddles, cause I'm afraid it may be more like my 250R ATC, and have to much power for knobbies. We'll see.

The paddles I would recommend though are the 20X10X10 - 8 cup haulers. They hook up very well, and you can still spin them out to making turning easyier.

·
Registered
625 Posts
if you want to ride in the sand and have fun you need to put paddles on. That is just a fact of life. If you want a good all around tire get a 8 paddle Skat Trak edge 20x10x10 on a 10x9 wheel.
Isaac

·
Registered
76 Posts
I still say get haulers 20-10-10 8paddle extreme paddles(kevlar reinforced paddle) on douglas .160 rims. Both times I was at silverlake I saw most people running straight paddles. The other nice thing about the haulers is if you ever want to sell them you won't have any problems getting rid of them if they are taken care of.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
if you want to ride in the sand and have fun you need to put paddles on. That is just a fact of life. If you want a good all around tire get a 8 paddle Skat Trak edge 20x10x10 on a 10x9 wheel.
Isaac

The fact's are wrong BOB.........

Stock Z400 with KNOBBIES, 4th gear tapped, 70 Step-up.......nothing but net.
Your right that wasn't fun at all....... :eek: I hated it so much, I had to hit 10 more times just to be sure. :lol

Like I said all we do is run knobbies, and you'd be hard pressed to find a much faster group than ours to ride with.

·
Registered
625 Posts
my point was if you want to get the most out of your dune ride you should run paddles. And you are welcome to come on up to Coos Bay and go for a ride with us anytime Merriman and we will see if you can hang :wink: Paddles arent just some gimmick used by the tire company to get people to spend money. If that were the case all the rails and trucks and drag jeeps that you see wouldnt have paddles on them.
Isaac
P.S. BRING IT!!!! :lol

·
Registered
417 Posts
You have NO idea how those guys can ride (with or without paddles). I will tell you first hand from riding with Merriman and his family, that I haven't seen anyone go on a faster ride out there as a group. I'm sure there are people out there that can, but I doubt there are many.

Where are you from Edgerat? We go out to the Glamis area to ride in CA. Not sure where you ride, but your more than welcome to come along with us as well. :lol

No one said paddles are a gimmick either, they are usefull for drag racing and hill shoots. And the reason you see them on sandrails, trucks, jeeps is because they have a ton of wheelspin! When you have a lot of wheelspin, paddles are a must. On most quads, however, it's not a necessity, because a majority of the riders have stock engines that don't produce a ton of wheelspin.

BTW, how could you possibly argue with that picture? I think it proves the point.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I think I've been to some dunes in Oregon, had rail road tracks going through the side of them, we had to cross a bridge from the main town to get there, alot of ponds and puddles all over the place, and one hill that everyone raceed up that was like maybe at best 75 yards long. I can't remember the name of the town, or what the dunes were called, but they were pretty small.......we climbed every hill in a bone stock suzuki samuri (SP?).....Is that Coos Bay? I can't remember.

Another reason buggies, and jeeps and all those large HEAVY vehicles have paddles is because they are heavy, and that helps them "float across the sand" and get traction to pull their 1 ton and heavier a$$es out of the sand. On a quad that is unneccesary. But there are also alot of trucks, jeeps and others that just air down and do just fine too.

P.S. My Cousin and I also raced a Honda Rincon and a Kawasaki Prairie up one of the competition hills in Gordon's well known as Patton's valley in Reverse with stock tires, no paddles. And yes we both made it to the top, it just took alot of skill.

·
Registered
812 Posts
20x10 - 8 8 paddle haulers will work just fine. I've tried a lot of paddles and those seem to work the best. I wouldn't go with 21", they make you work a lot harder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts