YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want one of these machines!!! I mean what do I need to know, I heard that it take Premium Unleaded, and nothin else??? And I am going from a 2001 Polaris Trail Boss 325, and is it going to be a big step-up? For me being 15, I guess I have lots of time to get used to it!! And also I was considering the Preddy, but people are telling me to stay the hell away from it!

L8R
Brad

·
Registered
149 Posts
yea i wouldnt go anywhere close to another polaris..go for the yfz..jus take it easy till you get used to it..but if you break all the bones in your body post some pics! :lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, can't say that I have ridden one, all that I have ridden, mine, Hondao 325 Rancher, '92 Blaster, Yamamha Grizzly, and drove up a driveway on a Cannondale MOTO (didnt like the twist throttle, im not good w/ them, felt like i was gunna put that damn thing in the air! and me off the back!

L8R
Brad

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Maybe you need to get a Honda 400ex first and then graduate to a Yamaha. Learn how to ride a sport quad on something a lot less dangerous for a 15 year old. Youll love the Honda and then youll need something faster, and thats where Yamaha takes over...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Originally posted by jbplays@Oct 22 2003, 07:32 AM
Maybe you need to get a Honda 400ex first and then graduate to a Yamaha. Learn how to ride a sport quad on something a lot less dangerous for a 15 year old. Youll love the Honda and then youll need something faster, and thats where Yamaha takes over...
Exactly... :lol :lol :lol "Learn on a Honda...Graduate on a Yamaha!" :yfz :yfz :lol :lol

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Originally posted by lefty91101@Oct 22 2003, 04:29 PM
What about a Polaris Predator???

Brad
undefined
IMO its still a peice of chit compared to the honda or yamaha. if you want something worthwile buy one of these four:1. Honda 400ex very dependable handles good great bike to learn on 2. Honda 450r we dont know what its gona be like, but its gona be at dealers in december 3. Suzuki z400 good for trails and has reverse 4. Yamaha yfz450 not for the beginers and not for the faint of heart. Its your choice

·
Registered
834 Posts
Brad,

These guys are not B.S.ing you this bike is fast as hell.
My friend has a Troy lee pred and it is a P.O.S.!!

Nothing more than a couple of trail rides and one time at the dunes and he has been through two tie rod ends, loose bearing in the swingarm, chain slapped when delivered, start button malfunctioned when wet sand got in it, and it is heavy.

You can get a used (even modded) E.X. for real cheap right now!! Get used to it, then when you want to hang on for dear life / BUY THE YFZ!

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you plan on running MX, get the YFZ, it is BY far the best MX style sport quad available. If you are a trail rider, the Z or Predator is a better fit. The Z is very comfortable and has reverse (some could care less about this) the predator has a more plush suspension for trail riding and with the normal mods (pipe, airfilter, etc) is the fastest in a straight line of the three. (but not quickest - that would be the YFZ with the pipe, etc) My suggestion, try to find someone who has one of each and ride them and make your own mind up. No one is going to be able to make your mind up for you.

Scott

PS
reliability is more a factor of who and how well a machine is taken care of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
stay alway from polaris, i rode a yfz and then a 250r they r almost the same, expect the 250r was a 310 powervavle race ready bike lol, but i love both those machines, but im stuck on a 400ex :re

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Originally posted by quad#11@Oct 25 2003, 04:24 AM
If you plan on running MX, get the YFZ, it is BY far the best MX style sport quad available. If you are a trail rider, the Z or Predator is a better fit. The Z is very comfortable and has reverse (some could care less about this) the predator has a more plush suspension for trail riding and with the normal mods (pipe, airfilter, etc) is the fastest in a straight line of the three. (but not quickest - that would be the YFZ with the pipe, etc) My suggestion, try to find someone who has one of each and ride them and make your own mind up. No one is going to be able to make your mind up for you.

Scott

PS
reliability is more a factor of who and how well a machine is taken care of.
You can make the yfz as plush of a ride as you like by adjusting the shocks. Thats one of the advantages of adjustable suspension which the yfz has. If you must have reverse get the suzuki, and buy an aftermarket axle b4 you ride it (z400 axle is as flimsey as a beer can).

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the same problem as lefty. I'm 15 yrs old, and I'm moving up from a slightly modded Blaster.
The Blaster is way to slow and it has horrible handeling. So I'm getting a YFZ for Christmas, and some people are telling me that I cant handle it. I've been riding for about 8-9 years. So I have alot of experience. And I will be racing my Blastrer next year for MX, then will be moving up to racing teh YFZ in 2 years. Am I making the right decisions? And I want to get the YFZ because it's hte best quad, and I don't wanna waste my money on a 400ex then out grow/power it. So I figured I'l just get the YFZ. SOund good?
Tony

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by YFZdream450+Oct 22 2003, 09:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (YFZdream450 @ Oct 22 2003, 09:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jbplays@Oct 22 2003, 07:32 AM
Exactly... :lol :lol :lol "Learn on a Honda...Graduate on a Yamaha!" :yfz :yfz :lol :lol [/b][/quote]
I have a sweet 400EX for sale. The motor is stock except boltons and it has Walsh Racecraft +3" A arms and +4" axle, hydrolic clutch and about another 3K in aftermarket parts. Still has low hours and it handles great and is not a rocket like my YFZ. Will sell cheap if you are interested. I have over 11K in reciepts and clean title.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not so sure why everyone bashes the Predator. Its a way better quad than a 400ex. I have a friend who has one, I've ridden it, and its a bad mammer jammer. The only really problem is the weight. Its got one of the best stock suspensions out there plus its a real mover. Stock it wastes EX's and Z400/KFX's speed wise.

Have you guys(the ones bashing the Pred) ever ridden one?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get the yfz if you are experienced other wise take the 400ex . mine is still stock and i havent been beat yet in drag race, Cannondale 440 couldnt even keep up,then he blew a gasket trying. haha :rock

·
Registered
834 Posts
Originally posted by Burl Swift@Oct 28 2003, 10:16 AM
I'm not so sure why everyone bashes the Predator. Its a way better quad than a 400ex. I have a friend who has one, I've ridden it, and its a bad mammer jammer. The only really problem is the weight. Its got one of the best stock suspensions out there plus its a real mover. Stock it wastes EX's and Z400/KFX's speed wise.

Have you guys(the ones bashing the Pred) ever ridden one?

Yeah, we swapped bikes a couple of times when I had a 400 EX.
It has more power, but he had to switch to racing fuel or it was crapping out bad in the high rpm range.
Actually he has had to work on it every time we ride :re
Bearings came loose in the swingarm. Dealer "fixed" it now it leaks grease all over worse than a harley.
The shop also replaced the wrong tie rod end when it went if for service. They had it 2 weeks b/c they dont have those parts in stock. The very next ride, the one that did not get replaced went bad :angry
The start button gets sand in it and sticks. That screwed up another ride we were on.
We finally found out that horrible noise was coming from the chain and not the timing chain (little help from the polaris forum) and tightening the chain fixed that.
Had to replace shitty paper filter (joke?) and a few other parts not really intended to be used. Stupid reflector graphic stickers keep sticking up so he took them off. The white bro's "ala pure polaris" pipe burned a hole in his ice chest so he put an aluminum heat shield on his 6 pack rack. And the best of all, the dealer installed nerf bars were not bolted on right and fell off on a trail. They are also built with the straps around the bars so they have to be resewn everytime you get close to something and they rip off. If this were not the honest truth, this would be laughable, but it SUCKS having a high end really pricy bike pull all this crap on you when you just want to ride it.
He has had to fix it at least once for every ride!
Buy a poolander and you too can be fixing it's problems. :blah

I am quite pleased with my YFZ. The GYTR swingarm guards are junk, but no other complaints are warranted.
Bike kicks ass and is worth the money. :rock

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your friends Predator must be a lemon, my friend has had absolutly no problems with his. And he's got a Wiesco high comp piston, Edlebrock carb, Webb cam, and a couple of other things. Thing runs like a raped ape.

And you are correct, the YFZ is a bad mofo. I might be buying one next year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts