YFZ Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on opening up my airbox, but past experience with an open airbox tells me it needs protection when you hit those unexpected puddles.

I was thinking about cutting out the airbox lid so it's just a frame. This will allow me to place a sheet of waterproofed Outerwears material between the box and the lid. What I'm concerned about is having the center of the Outerwears sag down if water lays on top of it. I also don't know if the Outerwears material will loose it's waterproof characteristic if it comes in contact with the oils on the air filter element.

The next idea I had was to cut open the lid in such a way that if I draped the material accross the top of it it would hold the material up to help any water run off.

The other thing to do it to have them make an Outerwear that slips over the airfilter element, just like they do for lots of other vehicles. The problem with this, is if you hit a puddle even with the airbox drain wide open, I don't know if the airbox will hold water and submerge the Outerwear and the filter element until water finds a tiny hole to get inside.

I also don't know how long Outerwears material retains it's waterproof characteristic, especially on surfaces where the material tends to rub the airbox or comes in contact with the air filter oils. Will air filter oil clog up the Outerwears material?

http://www.outerwears.net This material is very shere like panty hose, but it's treated to be waterproof. I was a picture where Outerwears material was holding a quart of water just like a sack.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I know tons of people who put the outerwears on their filters on Banshees and they're out in the open and haven't had any problems. I would imagine you would be okay, unless you are riding in rivers.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it sounds like a water resistant slip-on prefilter will work well for me.

I'm out of town for the weekend, can anyone tell me the measurements of the YFZ450's air filter so I can get them to make a slip-on prefilter for me? More specifically I need the hieght, outside diameter and the inside diameter of the hole.

Thanks a lot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts