YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to how many people with the Gytr Carbon fiber mufflers are having any trouble with the muffler burning a hole in it??? I have replaced mine already and my second one is starting to show signs of it already. I have noticed the packing burning out quite rapidly towards the mid pipe section of the pipe.I noticed this b?c i inspected the back half of the pipe and noticed the rubber dampner on the back half of the clamp start to tear. i removed the clamp to replce it and the damn carbon fiber was turned brown already from the heat. So i took it apart and repacked it again b/c just the packing where the clamp was already burned out. So this time i put it back together and removed the rear clamp to try to eliminate the problem. I looks like to me the clamp is getting too hot and heating up and melting the carbon fiber. Let me know if anyon is having the sam prob i am . :uhoh

·
Registered
112 Posts
My dealer's son has the GYT-R full system had a similar problem. Except he blew a hole in the header, not the muffler. GYT-R is a product of Yamaha, shouldnt' they replace it?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I had mine with roughly 20 hours of use, have the same problem and it was replaced free of charge by Bob at Magnolia Tractor.

I also found that the clamp nearest the inlet appeared to get too hot and caused the rubber gasket around the clamp to detoriate. The carbon fiber along the seam became very weak and was starting to come apart.

Which clamp did you remove? The one nearest the inlet from the header? or near the exhaust outlet? How does it work with only one clamp?

You've summed up exactly what I thought the problem was also.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I work at a local yamaha shop and i had it replaced. I used the stock yfz gasket which seemed like a tighter fit so the muffler did not seem to move as much as it did with the gasket supplied in the kit. I removed the clamp nearest to the inlet, mid pipe end. I have a friend who had the aluminun gytr and had same problem burning the rubber dampner. I was just wondering if i was the only one having problems, I really like the system and would hate to get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I've been keeping a close eye on my new one.. if the dampener starts to detoriate, I'll either replace it or remove the clamp entirely like you have done.

How much time do you have on the exhaust since you removed the clamp?

I am also running the GYT-R header. you?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I recalled seeing something in the instructions, I double checked and under maintance it says to replace packing every 8hrs. I heard it is not a big issue on the other pipes, but the CF does require more frequent packing changes.

·
Registered
983 Posts
are you kidding me? damn, dont know if i want to replace the packng every 8 hours.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
wow..

76 hours ride time / 8 hours = approx 9 packing changes X $20 packing = $180 for packing for 76 hours of ride time... you have to be kidding me!!!!

I'm wondering if the packing is really burning out that quick? I also read in the instructions about the 8 hour repack??????

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would seem about right b/c I enstalled ah hour meter just before I installed my second muffler. And now it has 12 hours on it. So i guess i gotta keep on checking my hour meter. I only seem to burn just a little out every time.I haven't riddeen with the clamp like that so i'll let you. 8|

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
idea....... u sell that and get a new pipe :lol ..... but that does sound pretty weird to hav to change that packing that often :what see how much sumone would give u for it if u wanna get a new one

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by raygun@Dec 3 2003, 07:06 PM
I'm glad I bought the DR. D. :D
and how many hours do you have on that DR.D?

I would think you could use any manufactures packing in just about any pipe if you had to.

Those without the carbon fiber can probably don't even know if their packing is toast! unless they happen to pull it apart and examine it ..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Justin,

Do you need the GYT-R Billet Adaptor with the GYT-R Multi-Stage Air Filter?

I too was planning on the GYT-R Carbon but am now having second thoughts. Would anyone buy it again?

sanks

rep

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I had the option to return it for refund and purchase something different but opted for a replacement GYT-R carbon. I really like the exhaust and the options of a forestry approved spark arrestor and quiet core end cap for 96 db sound limitiations.

It may be just the initial production run of of GYT-R carbons that were too thin.. my new one seems fine so far.

You can allways opt for the GYT-R aluminum which has the same performance benefits as the carbon.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I love my GYTR carbon fiber slip on and haven't had a problem with it yet even thou I only have about 5 hours on it.... Seems to be holding up great thou and the look it gives is unbelievable.... Beats paying almost 775.00 for Yoshi's full carbon fiber pipe.... Ouch.... 8| 8| 8|

·
Registered
213 Posts
i dont know about the yfz but when i had my raptor i had one and it kept blowin it apart i found out the a little extra weight and not having that cool lookin carbon fiber might be better

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by PRNSTAR1969@Dec 5 2003, 03:50 PM
i dont know about the yfz but when i had my raptor i had one and it kept blowin it apart i found out the a little extra weight and not having that cool lookin carbon fiber might be better
where was yours blowing out and how many times did Yamaha replace it for you?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Originally posted by Justin12a@Dec 3 2003, 05:38 PM
That would seem about right b/c I enstalled ah hour meter just before I installed my second muffler. And now it has 12 hours on it. So i guess i gotta keep on checking my hour meter. I only seem to burn just a little out every time.I haven't riddeen with the clamp like that so i'll let you. 8|
Justin

Just wanted to bring this topic up again and was wondering how your GYT-R carbon exhaust is holding up???

My 2nd one has now melted the rubber dampeners and the carbon has some "brown" burn spots near the upstream exhaust clamp.

It does appear that the steel clamp is heating up, retaining alot of heat, and causing the rubber dampener to melt and affect the carbon.

I did try only one clamp, (rear most clamp) out at Glamis but the entire rear of the exhaust started to slip back off the midpipe, so I had to put the removed clamp back on.

I am thinking of purchasing some header wrap tape and wrap each clamp and dampener with them, then install them around the carbon exhaust and see if that will keep the clamps from absorbing so much exhaust heat.

Any suggestions you could offer??

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was running the stock exhaust gasket in the mid pipe which is a tighter fit than the one they included in the kit. So i didn't have any problems with the pipe moving at all. BUt did repack it just before the atv olympics in gainsville, fl with some cheap fiberglass packing and after the 3 day event i notice the carbon starting to become thin. So i removed that pipe and replaced with my a Aluminum Gytr I got from a bud. So far so good. PS: I did cut about 5 inces off the muffler to make a shorty and with the 13:1 piston and headwork it really woke it up some more. :eek

1 - 20 of 22 Posts