YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Where. Did you buy it from? I just ordered mine and was told 2 to 3 weeks. Sure hope I have it by the Fourth of July. I ordered from MT Racing which I believe is the main Cortex distributor.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
ORDER FROM RPS. BEST price with forum discount. Damn the price shotup. I got mine in 2020 for about 630.

Now they north of 700. God damnnn. Yea blame covid...

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
ORDER FROM RPS. BEST price with forum discount. Damn the price shotup. I got mine in 2020 for about 630.

Now they north of 700. God damnnn. Yea blame covid...

Can’t find RPS. What is the forum discount code
Ok I found Racing Power Sports...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where. Did you buy it from? I just ordered mine and was told 2 to 3 weeks. Sure hope I have it by the Fourth of July. I ordered from MT Racing which I believe is the main Cortex distributor.
immortal atv.

got ally other parts from them but the vortex is proving to be a long wait. I can’t ride without it because the bike is running lean as hell.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Racingpowersports - DUNCAN MAPS

YFZCENTRAL

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
immortal atv.

got ally other parts from them but the vortex is proving to be a long wait. I can’t ride without it because the bike is running lean as hell.
I’m waiting on a vortex also in the mean time I adjusted the tps and deleted the AIS my is running better just from those two adjustments O and I changed the oil breather box and deleted the old one! Can’t wait to get the big three waiting is killing me!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man no word on this ecu. No answer on when it will be shipped.

What do you guys think about just flash tuning the stock ecu?
They have a flashing kit. This allows you to reflash if the map isn't right. Any of you guys try this? It’s 380 for it. Cheaper than vortex.

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
114 Posts
Man no word on this ecu. No answer on when it will be shipped.

What do you guys think about just flash tuning the stock ecu?
They have a flashing kit. This allows you to reflash if the map isn't right. Any of you guys try this? It’s 380 for it. Cheaper than vortex.

I've heard good things about PEP doing the reflash on the stock ECU. I'm not sure exactly how much it cost but it can't be much more than $380.
However, I would never suggest doing that in place of a Vortex. The Vortex is unmatched as far as performance goes which is why you're still waiting for one.
I actually looked into the PEP reflash option last year and called them, they told me flat out, "if you want top performance, get a Vortex". He did say that their reflash would help a lot but it's just not a Vortex.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a reflash harness where you can remove restrictions and load maps.

what makes the vortex better performance wise?

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
114 Posts
This is a reflash harness where you can remove restrictions and load maps.

what makes the vortex better performance wise?
I couldn’t tell you exactly what makes the Vortex superior. The guy at PEP told me that while their reflash is good, it’s not quite Vortex good because the “stock ECU is only capable of so much”. Basically the stock ECU is limited in its capabilities even after reflash. I would suggest calling PEP and asking them what questions you have, the guy seemed pretty straight forward when I talked to him. This was in late 2020 so I don’t remember his name. You’ve already ordered and paid for the Vortex right? I know it sucks but at this point I would just hold out dude, at least once you get it you’ll know it was worth the wait. I’ve seen a ton of guys on here try other programmers and then eventually switch to the Vortex because it’s just that good. Save yourself the head ache and cash and just commit to the Vortex. I’ve literally never read or heard about anybody saying that they regretted spending the money on the Vortex. I’ve only heard regret regarding the alternative programmers / ECU’s.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The vortex simply works off the bat no dickyy diccky jerky jerky with this and that like a car sales guy does.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
U got a mount for it? If not u gotta secure that thing. Rubber mount is junk and gonna be kuak kuak kuak smak smak smak.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well worth the wait...you'll see!
I rode it today. Not hammering it to hard. It’s crazy how bad the stock ecu is.
U got a mount for it? If not u gotta secure that thing. Rubber mount is junk and gonna be kuak kuak kuak smak smak smak.

I was watching an install video and the guy used smaller bolts amd it snugged it better.
I will figure out something to hold it in there.

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
114 Posts
I rode it today. Not hammering it to hard. It’s crazy how bad the stock ecu is.

I was watching an install video and the guy used smaller bolts amd it snugged it better.
I will figure out something to hold it in there.
The stock ECU is pretty sad! Make sure to adjust your TPS if you haven’t already. That’ll help too. As far as the mount for the Vortex goes, I also used the smaller bolts to secure it better but also used 2 zip ties zipped together to secure the bottom half of the Vortex to the aluminum bracket it mounts with. A lot of people get the Peak Racing mount but I see no reason to have to do that when you can secure it perfectly fine with a couple zip ties. Ultimately, Gambler is right though, without the zip tie addition, the mount they send is pretty janky.
What settings were you running on the Vortex for your test run?

·
Registered
2020 YFZ450R SE
114 Posts
The peak mount is a good investment. You just bought a $700 ecu what’s another $40
100%...for me, it wasn’t about $40, it was about the fact that they didn’t have a website when I needed the mount and I don’t have Facebook so made the audible happen with the zip ties and it works just fine. Peak now has a website so now they get my business. Their skid plate is awesome!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The stock ECU is pretty sad! Make sure to adjust your TPS if you haven’t already. That’ll help too. As far as the mount for the Vortex goes, I also used the smaller bolts to secure it better but also used 2 zip ties zipped together to secure the bottom half of the Vortex to the aluminum bracket it mounts with. A lot of people get the Peak Racing mount but I see no reason to have to do that when you can secure it perfectly fine with a couple zip ties. Ultimately, Gambler is right though, without the zip tie addition, the mount they send is pretty janky.
What settings were you running on the Vortex for your test run?
I haven’t gotten it yet. I was jonesing to ride and test out new clutch so I went out with stock ecu. I honestly thought the quad was messed up first time I rode it. That initial sputter when hitting throttle is horrible.

I haven’t adjusted tps yet. I will look that up.
This quad was a bit rough when I got it so I have just been fixing things. All the annoying oem part fixes are done, replaced some bolts, new chain and sprockets, sprocket carrier, bearings. Fixed broken front fender tabs and new fairing stays. Fixed crappy drain bolt retap. Intake is installed and pipe is installed. I did basket swap. Lucky I did because the OEM 2018 one was loose on the gear. Has play in it.

I have to put a new clutch over gasket in and I got all new bolts coming. Little tiny leak. I have a gasket I was just trying to reuse one that was in there. No bueno. Replacing exhaust gaskets. Valves were in spec. Put brand new amsoil in it and new filter. Engine seems to run good other than bog issues with ecu.

It’s pretty much ready to go now. Just need vortex ecu! .

next stuff is stabilizer, bead locks, seat cover and then suspension.I might dive into the motor later and do some upgrades and porting. I’m gonna wait until first engine refresh. Spent too much already. I want to ride it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts